REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
The price has always been a deterrent for me. I'm a BMX guy at heart and still ride but fuck me my joints hurt so I've always considered the transition. I always hated the full suspension action as it takes the torque away from the bunny hop but because I'm used to a rigid BMX frame I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong.

I recently made a run up to Whistler with a buddy and we wondered into the rental shop to inquire on a daily rental with gear. Not bad at around $300ish plus lift ticket for the day. I couldn't believe how many people were there riding. Looked as busy as a snowy day. Seeing people come flying down the mountain looked fun as shit so now I'm intrigued.

<----subbed for more info and inspiration
Advertisement
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
It has to be technique. Grew up with front suspension park style mountain bikes. Used them for everything. Now I have a 6" rig, and it's a bloody beast to throw around. I want my nimble ride back

WHy so expensive? Because they can, that's why.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Have a look on pink bike if you guys are interested in getting into the sport. You can find a great bike for like $1k. The best part about pinkbike is that if someone is selling something overpriced, just look at the comments there will be a flood of people saying how its not priced right. Saves people from getting ripped off.

Mountain biking is the single biggest adrenaline rush, more so than any other sport, and trust me i've done em all.

I ride a 10" travel bike (8" up front), but that's only for days when you want to throw down HUGE stuff, or days when you actually want to ride super hard.

On mellow days I have a transition bottlerocket which is only 5.5" of travel, and this is a great bike for flowy tracks like A-Line, Dirt Merchant, or Crank it up.

Honestly 75% of my days are spent on the bottlerocket, and having my full DH bike would have probably made my day less fun.

EDIT: Oh and don't skimp out on protective gear, get a full face helmet, get gloves, get shin pads, and elbow pads.

If you plan on doing crazy shit, do yourself and favour and pick up a Neck Brace as well. The $300 is nothing compared to breaking your neck.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #29
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
ive got two buddies who are really into mountain biking, ever since we were in high school, i could never wrap my head around the pricing for the gear but a lot of things are like that like clothes/accessories
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #30
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
ive got two buddies who are really into mountain biking, ever since we were in high school, i could never wrap my head around the pricing for the gear but a lot of things are like that like clothes/accessories
Well, if it's too expensive people wouldn't buy it. Supply and demand.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #31

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
No he wasn't JUST pointing that out, he also took a huge dig at the fact that some companies have moved manufacturing to Asia, and tried to infer that prices should come down because of that.

As myself and BCRdukes are pointing out, the fact that they moved manufacturing overseas doesn't make any difference.

Look at any sport that most people do for pure pleasure, the profit margins on gear are RIDICULOUS, but people will pay it because its what they WANT to spend money on.

What do you think the profit margin on a $600+ Lib Tech snowboard is?

How about a set of golf clubs which cost $3000?

Hell I have a hockey stick that was $400. Probably only costed like 50 bucks for them to form it.
You're right, I can see how talking about profit margins like that would set anybody off.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
You're right, I can see how talking about profit margins like that would set anybody off.
I'm an intense dude.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #33
UFO

Bikes are expensive because a)small market/demand = small volume and b)people are willing to pay that much.

I would also wager that the technology crammed into a mountain bike suspension fork or shock is more expensive and/or advanced than what you'd find in a car or motorbike. It needs to be scaled down and overengineered to work in a much smaller package, work efficiently because there is no motorized engine powering the vehicle, and also needs to be lightweight because of the same reason.

As for shop profit margins, shops would be happy to make 30% on a high end bike. Usually MSRP is around 30% mark-up on shop cost, and rarely do bikes sell off the floor at full MSRP. BUT there are also only so many people who are willing to throw that kind of money down. Shops rely on low end/cheap bikes where margins can be 50%, parts and accessories where typical retail mark up is double, and service/labour, to keep the lights on and pay the leases and salaries.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #34
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

more reason for bicycles to be insured if they want to be on the road. I honestly see more bikes in the 3k+ range in dt, they outnumber the cheap motorcyles on the road, yet only motorcyclist have to pay insurance, even if its a $500 POS.

Im a hater
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #35
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
No he wasn't JUST pointing that out, he also took a huge dig at the fact that some companies have moved manufacturing to Asia, and tried to infer that prices should come down because of that.

As myself and BCRdukes are pointing out, the fact that they moved manufacturing overseas doesn't make any difference.

Look at any sport that most people do for pure pleasure, the profit margins on gear are RIDICULOUS, but people will pay it because its what they WANT to spend money on.

What do you think the profit margin on a $600+ Lib Tech snowboard is?

How about a set of golf clubs which cost $3000?

Hell I have a hockey stick that was $400. Probably only costed like 50 bucks for them to form it.
A board shop will make about $300 on a $600 board, a hockey shop will make about $200 on a $400 stick, but a golf shop will be lucky to make $800 on a $3000 golf set. The golf hardgoods mark up is really low, most of the margin comes from clothing and accessories.

As for bikes 80% of the high end bikes in the world are manufactured out of 6 factories in Taiwan. From a manufacturing stand point, Taiwan makes great bikes.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #36

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
It also doesn't help with lower pricing considering biking is now the "trend". If I was the boss of a bike company I would take advantage of this.

Like others have already mentioned, you can probably build yourself a road bike that weights as little as the 10k bikes for less than 2k now with parts at Alibaba sites, but you will probably have to deal with the risk of faulty parts and/or poor materials.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #37
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
Well, if it's too expensive people wouldn't buy it. Supply and demand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
It also doesn't help with lower pricing considering biking is now the "trend". If I was the boss of a bike company I would take advantage of this.
Although I think those bikes are way overpriced (superbike/dirt bike territory), from business perspective, it makes sense.

Bicycle companies can charge people whatever the heck they want and frankly, nothing is overpriced when people are willing to pay for it.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #38
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Delete
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #39

You can see how bicycle has a lot less parts..

This post FAILED by:
Old 08-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #40
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Oh my sweet fuck
Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #41
RS controls my life!

That's a really weird ass rear suspension^^.

I ride a really simple gary fisher tarpon. It probably can't handle a black diamond course but it managed mount burke quite fine. I'm still new to down hill mountain biking but I already realized that it's a hobby that is far out of my price range. I'd need to upgrade a lot of my bikes components if i wished to make anything higher then a 4 foot drop.

Getting a decent road bike isn't that much of an issue though. I made an awesome, lightweight, peppy road bike for 60$ before. You just have to know how to build a bike, which is far easier then building/fixing a car. It's basic mechanic work through and through. Sure you could buy a ridiculously overpriced carbon fibre everything but then that's just more money out the window to go a little bit faster. My current road bike weighs maybe 5 pounds more then a carbon fibre frame bike and I probably wouldn't notice the difference in speed if i was riding either of them. It's getting to the point where it's so over engineered that it's simply a bragging right to have it. Just like the veyron. How many veyron owners are going to push that car to it's limits on each ride? Why not just build your own dragster and push that sucker to it's limits. And you also have to keep in mind your own capability on a bike. The bike will only go as fast as you can go. If you lack the strength then a supercycle can be just as good for you as a 3k$ devinci.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #42
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
My friend is buying a 2000+ carbon fiber bike for the iron man, I could never justify that but at the same time, she could never justify spending that much money on a car.

You charge what you can charge, and you get what you pay for, tis life
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
That's a really weird ass rear suspension^^.
The bike is a Specialized Demo 8 V2. It's a really common favourite for the big hitters riding the shore, or any bike park:

FSR rear geometry is super linear, I had one of these before, I wasn't a particular fan, but then again, I think I bought one a little too small for me, and even after adjusting the geometry it never really worked out. So I sold it and moved on.

On another note the new 2015 Demo is coming out soon:

Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #44
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
They're expensive due to material quality/weight and for the abuse they need to take. If you're not going to be pushing it, then you don't need as expensive of a bike. But if you're going hard, I wouldn't want to be relying on some sub-par equipment to not explode.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I got my bike for $200, it only has a front brake and is a single speed but I put a higher top speed gear on it for hauling serious ass.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #46
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
A board shop will make about $300 on a $600 board, a hockey shop will make about $200 on a $400 stick, but a golf shop will be lucky to make $800 on a $3000 golf set. The golf hardgoods mark up is really low, most of the margin comes from clothing and accessories.

As for bikes 80% of the high end bikes in the world are manufactured out of 6 factories in Taiwan. From a manufacturing stand point, Taiwan makes great bikes.
Using fake statistics really helps strengthen your point.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #47
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,788 Times in 979 Posts
Timpo's troll level is over 9000
Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Using fake statistics really helps strengthen your point.
I was wondering about that, so I did a quick research and looks like bicycle is serious business in Taiwan

Giant
" Taiwanese bicycle manufacturer which is recognized as the world's largest bicycle manufacturer"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Bicycles
Trek
"the majority of company's bicycles manufactured in Taiwan"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trek_bikes
GT
"frames made in Taiwan"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT_Bicycles
Specialized
"In 2001, Merida Bikes of Taiwan bought 49% of Specialized for a reported US$30 million"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specialized_Bicycle_Components
Cannondale
"manufacturing and assembly facilities in China and Taichung, Taiwan"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannondale
Gary Fisher
"Fisher sold his company in 1991 to Taiwan's Anlen company"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Fisher
Schwinn
"In Taiwan, Schwinn was able to conclude a new production agreement with Giant Bicycles, transferring Schwinn's frame design and manufacturing expertise to Giant in the process"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwinn_Bicycle_Company
Bianchi
"the production of bicycles built in Taiwan and in Italy for the worldwide market"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianchi_Bicycles
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Made in China, Made in Taiwan,, Made in USA, Made in mexico... wherever doesn't matter, but depends on the brand and its own quality control plus the material used. Cheap labour does not always translate into poor quality anymore. I kinda stop looking at where it is made for certain stuff. I'd be concerned about food/ Produce made in china though
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
Made in China, Made in Taiwan,, Made in USA, Made in mexico... wherever doesn't matter, but depends on the brand and its own quality control plus the material used. Cheap labour does not always translate into poor quality anymore. I kinda stop looking at where it is made for certain stuff. I'd be concerned about food/ Produce made in china though
It makes absolutely no difference in the world, especially when almost all the various pieces like the stems, brakes, seat, rear shock, front fork, wheelset, all of that shit comes from asia.

Fine build the frame of your transition right here in BC, but that Fox 40 203mm fork on the front of the bike which you rely on to absorb those 40 foot hucks will always be built in taiwan.

This post thanked by: