REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Auto to manual transmission swap question

So this might be a stupid question but I really want to drive a manual car but my car's a automatic and I really don't want to buy a new car because I like mine. So I've been thinking if it's possible doing a transmission swap, from what I heard it's possible. I was wondering where can I get this done and how much is the process to do that including everything?

Cheers!
Advertisement
Russkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
First of all what is your car..
Old 07-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
First of all what is your car..
My bad, I forgot to put that haha. It's a Honda Civic EX 1999.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
not worth.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Sell it and buy the same model in manual. You'll probably come out ahead too
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Sell it and buy a em1 sir
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

seriously, not very worth it unless you are mechanically inclined, can get the parts for very cheap and have some time on your hands. its definitely doable. you basically need a donor tranny and alot of associated parts. basically a d16y8 tranny is your best option. [FAQ] 96-00 Auto to Manual Swap in full detail!! (44pics) - Honda-Tech
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
seriously, not very worth it unless you are mechanically inclined, can get the parts for very cheap and have some time on your hands. its definitely doable. you basically need a donor tranny and alot of associated parts. basically a d16y8 tranny is your best option. [FAQ] 96-00 Auto to Manual Swap in full detail!! (44pics) - Honda-Tech
Yeah that's what I heard! I heard it probs cost around 1k so its not that bad. But does anyone know where can get the parts? I'm planning to get it done at G5 but I'm not mechanically that inclined. Money is no problem for me rn.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #9
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkii View Post
Yeah that's what I heard! I heard it probs cost around 1k so its not that bad. But does anyone know where can get the parts? I'm planning to get it done at G5 but I'm not mechanically that inclined. Money is no problem for me rn.
$1k parts and labour? My guess is, that's closer to how much just the labour would cost.

If you just get used parts, machine the flywheel and get a clutch kit and ISB, you'd probably be into it for around $600+. Many would opt to use a new clutch master, slave, mounts, flywheel bolts, shifter bushings, etc.

So you'd be into it for around $2k, easily more. A quick CL search shows that auto and manual EK sedans are about the same value. You could sell yours and buy a manual without spending much, if anything.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I would expect well-beyond $1k in labour to do an a-to-m swap at Garage 5.

In fact, I bet the final bill would be between $3000-3500. I recall it being about $4000 on a prelude.

It is a complete waste of cash. The 3 reasonable alternatives are: learn to do it yourself, sell the auto and buy a manual, or learn to live with the auto.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I would expect well-beyond $1k in labour to do an a-to-m swap at Garage 5.

In fact, I bet the final bill would be between $3000-3500. I recall it being about $4000 on a prelude.

It is a complete waste of cash. The 3 reasonable alternatives are: learn to do it yourself, sell the auto and buy a manual, or learn to live with the auto.
Oh I remember seeing that on a forum where a guy did a auto to manual swap but I don't recall seeing the price now that I can't find that post. Was it you who did that swap? If it's that much than it's not worth it at all haha
Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
I had GarageFive do a 5speed swap on my 97 Prelude a very long time ago.
If I remember correctly, I paid about 1300 for parts, some new and some used
And I think it was 1500 for labour at GarageFive? I can't remember of the top of my head, I'll have to find the invoice and double check but roughly 3K for the entire conversion.

Here is all of the information from a swap:

http://vancouverpreludeclub.net/phpB...c.php?f=7&t=25

I wouldn't do this again. I think its best to sell the car and purchase the same model, better model or different vehicle in manual.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mike

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

If you have a friend who can help I would recommend doing it your self. It might take at longer than a shop would, but it will be a great learning experience. Like everyone else said it's not worth doing it, UNLESS you're doing it your self. Sell the car and buy a manual one. You can easily find manual civcs. They're dime a dozen
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
I had GarageFive do a 5speed swap on my 97 Prelude a very long time ago.
If I remember correctly, I paid about 1300 for parts, some new and some used
And I think it was 1500 for labour at GarageFive? I can't remember of the top of my head, I'll have to find the invoice and double check but roughly 3K for the entire conversion.

Here is all of the information from a swap:

VancouverPreludeClub.net ? View topic - Automatic to manual transmission swap

I wouldn't do this again. I think its best to sell the car and purchase the same model, better model or different vehicle in manual.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mike
Costs were about the same for me with a 97 Prelude 2 years ago, I did a lot of hunting and saved a bit on the parts + did the electrical side of the swap myself to save some cash. I would agree on selling and rebuying, the only reason I didn't was the auto tranny was fried so the car wasn't worth much as it sat.

Budget at least $3k for a FWD Honda swap, hell I'd budget $3,500 if you're not finding the parts yourself and you might be surprised with it coming in under budget, but I wouldn't count on it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote