REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Should fat people pay more tax?

Are Fat People Destroying Earth?

Are Fat People Destroying Earth?
Robert Roy Britt

The news that fat people could help save Earth by eating less generated big headlines yesterday. But many people question whether it's good science or bad manners to pin the planet's woes on the overweight.

The news was based on a report from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, which says:

"Because food production is a major contributor to global warming, a lean population, such as that seen in Vietnam, will consume almost 20 percent less food and produce fewer greenhouse gases than a population in which 40 percent of people are obese (close to that seen in the USA today). ... Transport-related emissions will also be lower because it takes less energy to transport slim people. The researchers estimate that a lean population of 1 billion people would emit 1.0 GT (1,000 million tons) less carbon dioxide equivalents per year compared with a fat one."

The researchers, Phil Edwards and Ian Roberts, note that obesity is on the rise all over the world. All medical experts agree this is a health problem. Obesity has been linked to everything from deadly diabetes to increased risk of cancer. Many analysts fear the U.S. healthcare system — already in bad shape — could crumble under the weight of what many doctors see as the obesity epidemic.

The scientists are not the first to point out that heavier people have a bigger carbon footprint. But in putting some numbers to it, they've pulled no punches.

"When it comes to food consumption, moving about in a heavy body is like driving around in a gas guzzler," Edwards and Roberts said in a statement. "The heavier our bodies become the harder and more unpleasant it is to move about in them and the more dependent we become on our cars. Staying slim is good for health and for the environment. We need to be doing a lot more to reverse the global trend towards fatness, and recognize it as a key factor in the battle to reduce emissions and slow climate change."

Lay on the guilt

There are questions to raise, however, about whether science goes too far in pushing for lifestyle and public policy changes. As John Tierney writes in his New York Times blog, "Do we really need to give fat people one more reason to feel guilty?"

How you answer that question probably depends on whether you see obesity as largely a lifestyle choice or as a correctable behavior problem — or some combination thereof. Is obesity just about indulgence and therefore akin to smoking, thus something that should be derided, discouraged, even taxed? Or is obesity a medical condition more like other diseases and thus one we need to solve with drugs and other compassionate interventions?

The answers depend at least in part on science that is incomplete right now. Some evidence has suggested that the propensity for immensity is at least partly inherited, and other studies have indicated that obesity might even be contagious.

So whatever, fat people should eat better and exercise more, right?

The science there is tricky, too. Certainly a good diet is important for everyone. But if someone has a genetic predisposition to obesity, they may not have the ability to change things much through diet alone. And a recent study called into question the whole notion that exercise can cure obesity. As good as working out is for you, diet seems to be the main factor in obesity, researchers at Loyola University Health System and other institutions found.

Buy two seats

Last week plus-size folks were told they'd have to pay for two seats on United Airlines, a tactic already employed by a handful of other airlines. Some slim people interviewed by the media saw this as just punishment for those who commit "seat infringement," while others see it as flat-out discrimination.

Certainly, a slimmer society would mean healthier people (reduced chance of deadly diabetes being among the most significant benefits) and yes, a lower carbon footprint. Slimming down is also said to improve your sex life.

The big question society now faces — one only breezed by in this week's flap — is whether obese people should be prodded into behavioral changes for the greater good, or if their condition should be viewed as a disability, as is the case in Canada (where that extra plane seat is, by law, free).

And before answering that question, it is worth asking this one: Should we also pressure behavioral changes among others who stamp the planet with their own carbon-footprint excesses, such as wine drinkers, people who don't recycle, spammers and even Googlers?

Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
where does the line get drawn then? its like saying anyone that has a condition or disease should be put blamed on since they are all pulling in extra resources of one kind or another.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
^ ok that's a good point, because people with disease or condition will probably get some sort of medical care, so should fat people for personal training, liposuction, nutrition counselling and whatnot
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Promote healthy living by giving healthy people a tax break, that's a more reasonable solution than to tax fat people.

If people participate in specific events and complete events such as marathons they have government sponsored incentives, that type of thing.

And also, why is obesity a disease again? How is leading an unhealthy lifestyle a disease?
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

mcdonalds crew checking in.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
ex mcdonald crew here
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
In terms of food, the world produces enough to feed everyone on the planet 3 times over. Capitalism gets in the way of that as it gets in the way of a lot of aspects surrounding health and the environment.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
I came in here to say exactly that ^^
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Bill Maher was saying this 20 years ago ... Taxes on junk food, tax breaks for farmers/companies who produce organic produce ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

articles from 2009. Where do you get these timpo?
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
In terms of food, the world produces enough to feed everyone on the planet 3 times over. Capitalism gets in the way of that as it gets in the way of a lot of aspects surrounding health and the environment.
Also people (like their example of vietnam) aren't lean because they eat less, they eat less because they're already small, and poor.

Visit any culture where typically small/lean people exist, give them access to cheap starchy/sugary fattening food, give them a way to make money without doing physical work, and they are just as fat and unhealthy as cultures who started doing this 50 years ago.

Also plenty of these lean people end up being sick with diabetes and heart disease anyway, because even though they are smaller, they still eat crappy diets throughout their lives.

This whole thing is... well timporiffic
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
This just remind me earlier I saw a really fat person waiting for the bus at metro and he was sweating non stop lol. I guess in hot weather the fat people have it worse.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

you are heavier --> spend more gas to move your ass in your car
heavier -> more trama to your knees and the rest of your body as you have unoptimal weight to lug around

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
no. but tax GTR-lovers who post meaningless articles from half a decade ago, they waste too much bandwidth

PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Government should tax junk food. And use the tax proceeds to subsidize the cost of healthy food..fruits, veggies, etc
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #16

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
people are innately greedy, selfish, lazy+, and generally disgusting. that is why the richest nations, the US, UK, Canada, amongst others, are full of fat fucks who have no self control, they just want to constantly satisfy their desire for quick, convenient, tasty food.

personally, i think shit food should be taxed, based on its sugar content, fat content, fructose content, etc. with those funds used to subsidize cheaper alternatives, though to be honest, food is so cheap in North America that eating healthy is relatively easy, it's just that people are lazy and don't want to be bothered to actually spend time thinking about what to cook, how to cook it, and then cooking it.

the most amazing thing of all of this is that eating a vegetarian diet is way cheaper than a meat based diet and is way healthier, yet how many poor fat people are vegetarian? how many poor people are vegetarian? (those are rhetorical questions)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
Promote healthy living by giving healthy people a tax break, that's a more reasonable solution than to tax fat people.

If people participate in specific events and complete events such as marathons they have government sponsored incentives, that type of thing.

And also, why is obesity a disease again? How is leading an unhealthy lifestyle a disease?
you'd want to make the food cheaper rather than putting money in ppl's pockets (though i get what you're saying)

also, marathons (again, you're just giving an example, it just sucks) are net negative on your body, the damage to your joints and muscles outweigh the perceived benefits of running 26 miles.

in the end of the day, i believe the government should serve the people, not the other way around. if you want to eat shit, you shouldn't get government assisted healthcare. i'd be happy for there to be a sliding scale of fees associated with healthcare based on your weight / fitness level. There are many complications associated with this, but fuck it, i'd rather not have my tax dollars spent on smokers with lung disease, or fat people with diabetes or the bazillion other health problems that come with being overweight. but i'm an arsehole...
Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #18
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
foodies should be treated like drug addicts.

hahaha
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2014, 02:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
foodies should be treated like drug addicts.

hahaha
foodies should be shot for using that word!

aren't we all foodies? don't we all enjoy food?

"Foodies" are just pretentious prats that like food.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 AM   #20
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
If you tax junk food, what's the classification on junk food? High cal, high sodium, fat, etc? I'm sure some legit restos serve food that have higher 'junk' content. How about desserts?

Tough. I like the idea of getting a discount on msp or smth if you submit sports league membership fees, gym membership, etc.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #21
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
If you tax junk food, what's the classification on junk food? High cal, high sodium, fat, etc? I'm sure some legit restos serve food that have higher 'junk' content. How about desserts?

Tough. I like the idea of getting a discount on msp or smth if you submit sports league membership fees, gym membership, etc.
This makes more sense, since the idea of 'junk food' is usually wrong.. well not so much that, but most people think the alternative is 'healthy food' when in fact it is also junk food.

It would be tragic if a hamburger or something was taxed as junk food, but a giant bowl of pho wasn't. Because you know that's what they would do.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #22
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
but fat people do pay more taxes as they're buying food for 20ppl and most of it is processed foods + they're paying more in petrol to get around not to mention higher electricity/gas fees due to constantly cooking or having the a/c on 24/7
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

Buy two seats

Last week plus-size folks were told they'd have to pay for two seats on United Airlines, a tactic already employed by a handful of other airlines. Some slim people interviewed by the media saw this as just punishment for those who commit "seat infringement," while others see it as flat-out discrimination.
anorexic people be allowed to fit two people in one seat then. two people, one seat, get those frequent flyers to slim down to a healthy 68lbs!!

either way, in the end, fuck it. i will eat what i want when i want and be the judge of my own life. am i fat? no. am i healthy? to an extent. do i love junk food? absolutely, nothing i love better than a big ole bag of salt n' vinegar chips! if someones not happy about my eating habits, then they can go fuck themselves.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Taxes on junk food, tax breaks for farmers/companies who produce organic produce ...
Instead, the US government heavily subsidizes farmers who grow corn, which only a tiny percentage of it is actually edible in it's natural form. The rest is processed into HFCS and other materials.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #25

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
just wow at some of the comments in here. people are so fucking shallow...

not all fat people are fat because of being lazy and eating too much.. this should just be about unhealthy people in general. how many skinny people are out there that smoke and eat like shit all day? LOTS. they should be taxed as well because they also are a drain on our fucking health care system because of their stupidity.

because i know this will be posted by someone else anyways, yes i am fat(NOT OBESE). fuck you. i'm a healthy fat person though, meaning while on the outside i may not look healthy, on the inside everything is within speck. i get all my tests done on time and everything always comes back above average. i just carry around some extra weight..

oh and under the old HST system, fruits and veggies etc weren't taxed. only processed food was. but you can thank the stupid fucking general public and bill vander zalms dumb ass for getting rid of that.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: