REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Need R12 A/C

Don't want any nagging about it being "illegal" or hippie environment bullshit.
It's colder, and it's awesome.

Whose got R12?
A/C needs a charge.

Last resort before going with the R12A bullshit.
Advertisement
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Marine West? any marine supply stores. or WA.. stop by harbor freight to get a pump and scale
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
nothing wrong with R12A works like a charm. Walmart in USA have R12 all day erryday.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

anyone use redtek 12a in the can? I wanted to try it on my Benz when I get it going...

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Best value is to get the kit, but you should use a few other of their products first. Honestly it ends up about the same getting a professional diagnostic ~$200? to purchase the whole thing.
If you DIY and at home, I suggest you do it in the wide open and in the evening when everything is cooler. The content is mainly alkane, it is flammable, try to avoid having fun with it in an enclosed space, they are heavier than air, so it will sink to the bottom. I would also suggest doing 2-3 cars at one time as the oil etc can be spread between cars.

Their product listing:

0. Do a visual test of your AC components, make sure there are no obvious cracks and the AC clutch etc are working and spinning free. The coolant are not cheap, so you mind as well spend the time make sure that they won't leak at the first try. (assemble everything I suggest get Dyecharge, Oilcharge and the kit with the gauge, UV light from eBay).

1. Use the gauge from the kit to see if there are any pressure, if there are you can get it evacuated to an empty propane tank.
2. Use Dyecharge first, then run a while and check for leaks. (go for a drive and look for signs of leaks afterwards)
3. If no leaks, use Dry12 to get rid of the moisture (Using the gauge from the kit).
4. add Oil Charge. Remember the lubricant for the AC is in the same loop as the refrigerant. Fill up the rest with the refrigerant from their kit. The oil is important especially if the AC hasn't running for a while.
5. After using it for a while, check the hoses again for bulges etc. Also check the pressure often, as the compounds are smaller than CFC and prone to leak.

Also helps to get the tools from harbor freight and an empty propane tank and a cheap scale if you want to collect left over refrigerant. I don't find it too difficult, it is just another cooling loop just like your radiator (if you have the acumen / experience to do that to your own car, then it is not that hard). It just uses higher pressure and unique connectors.

Other brands like Duracool is basically the same compounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
anyone use redtek 12a in the can? I wanted to try it on my Benz when I get it going...

Last edited by godwin; 07-22-2014 at 12:02 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote