REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #226
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
When someone is banned from a thread can they still go into and not post or are they unable to open it at all?
They can still view it. If he wants he can post about it in his thread.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #227
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Or you can try it yourself with a SAM simulator

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Though only covers up to Geckos. It is not as easy as people think.

IFF only applies to military aircrafts NOT civilian aircrafts. Apparently the missile launcher suspected can't tell the difference between civilian and military unless hooked up to the ATC (which I suspect they didn't as they are "non government actors")
I don't know the stats on how many people are trained to use these kinds of systems, but to me it seems pretty plausible that out of all the rebels running around the region that some are ex-military and a couple of them may be at least somewhat familiar with the systems.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #228
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
Which pointed the finger first is usually the guilty one. And the Americans were the first to point the finger at the Russian Rebels. So I would say that US had a hand in it.
So whoever smelt it dealt it?

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #229
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Think in the Russian air defense designers' perspective: Chances are of civilian aircraft at times of war is pretty low (not to mention private airplane ownership was unheard off when the system was designed). They also know air force is most likely way that "Westerners" will use to attack Russia, so pretty much friendlies travel from East to West and very rarely West to East. Basically these things are designed to hit anything that moves (friends or enemies). They rather have a false positive at times of war. The rest of the dials you see in the simulator have more to do with the diagnostic of the system rather than identification of the aircraft. Remember the system is analog, that's why you see so many ammeters, voltmeters etc etc

Last time those thing used at a war (with Georgia), they hit their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Touché.

Last edited by godwin; 07-22-2014 at 11:04 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #230
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Yes it is easy to fire those things. Just know discriminating between friend and foe is an art within itself. (obviously whoever fired it didn't care)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I don't know the stats on how many people are trained to use these kinds of systems, but to me it seems pretty plausible that out of all the rebels running around the region that some are ex-military and a couple of them may be at least somewhat familiar with the systems.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #231
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
So whoever smelt it dealt it?
Dr George Simon, PhD

He's been publishing a series of articles on the habitual behaviors that not only keep persons with disturbed characters from developing a sense of accountability and responsibility but which also serve as effective tactics of manipulation.

The tactic of blaming has sometimes been called projecting the blame. The term projection stems from psychodynamic psychology and refers to one of the automatic mental behaviors conceptualized by traditional theorists as ego defense mechanisms. The rationale behind that notion is that sometimes individuals unconsciously “project” onto others motivations, intentions, or actions that they actually harbor themselves but which they would feel far too unnerved or guilty about to acknowledge as their own.

Sometimes the tactic of blaming can be quite subtle. By calling attention to a wide variety of contributing circumstances, a manipulator can effectively obscure his or her role in the creation of a problem. This “it wasn’t me” tactic is hard to detect when your attention is drawn to other “culprits” through this diversionary sleight of hand.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #232
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Did you guys hear about cyclists Maarten De Jonge? he had tickets on missing flight MH370 but changed his plans last minute...he also had tickets for flight MH17 and changed his plans again

Maarten De Jonge cheats death twice by switching MH370 and MH17 flights | National Post

Quote:
Dutch man cheats death twice: Cyclist booked on flights MH370 and MH17, but changed plans at last minute

Maarten De Jonge cheats death twice by switching MH370 and MH17 flights

A Dutch man cheated death on both recent doomed Malaysia Airlines flights after booking tickets on MH370 and MH17 but changing plans at the last minute.

Maarten De Jonge, 29, a cyclist who rides with Malaysia’s Terengganu Cycling Team, switched from MH370 in March to avoid a lengthy stopover and switched from MH17 last week to take a later flight and save money.

“It’s inconceivable,” he told Dutch public broadcaster RTV Oost. “I am very sorry for the passengers and their families, yet I am very pleased I’m unharmed.”
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #233
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Russia/Ukraine still has mandatory military service for everyone who does not go to University after high school. Majority of those who are involved in the conflict are 25-40 years old, and have most likely received some kind of military training.

As far as trying to figure out who shot the plane down, I doubt that will ever happen. Both sides will keep pointing fingers at each other but the real truth will stay hidden.

If Ukrainian military shot the plane down, nothing really changes. They would say "we were scared of Russia bombing us, we thought it was a military plane"

If pro-Russian separatists shot the plane down (Note these are simple people, not Russian military acting on Russian government's orders), Russia would issue a statement saying that the separatists were acting on their own with no direction from the Russian government whatsoever.

Those in this thread talking about economic sanctions, that has been tried before. Back when this conflict first started the EU threatened Russia with sanctions. Funny thing about sanctions they work both ways. EU quickly realised that they need Russia more than Russia needs them. Therefore no sanctions ensued.

It is sad that a plane full of innocent people got shot down needlessly, but such is war. When the US was in Iraq, I imagine a lot more than 300 innocent people died from their constant bombing because they were looking for "terrorists". In reality, all US was looking for was OIL.

At least in the Ukrainian conflict there are people who are fighting for their nationality, they want to be recognized for their heritage and want to be treated equally. Before the conflict began, Ukraine was denying Russian's access to pension, medical services, etc. These people were Ukrainian citizens but were of Russian heritage... of course the Western media will never talk about any of that. Their main goal is to make Russia look as evil as possible. It has been that way since the Cold War and I don't expect it to change any time soon. Unfortunately most people are too ignorant or lazy to question what the media feeds them, so we end up with generations of people who genuinely believe that Russia is some evil place on Earth where they drink Vodka and make evil plans of taking over the World....

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #234
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Did you guys hear about cyclists Maarten De Jonge? he had tickets on missing flight MH370 but changed his plans last minute...he also had tickets for flight MH17 and changed his plans again

Maarten De Jonge cheats death twice by switching MH370 and MH17 flights | National Post
Feels like Final Destination.

I wouldn't wanna be on the plane the next flight this guy books.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #235
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
As far as trying to figure out who shot the plane down, I doubt that will ever happen. Both sides will keep pointing fingers at each other but the real truth will stay hidden.
Had the crash site been secured immediately they'd have a very good idea what happened. There would undoubtedly be shrapnel or other remains from the missile that struck the plane, which would allow investigators to say with certainty the exact type of missile it was. Knowing the missile they could then round up all the launchers in the area that could have fired the missile. It would be easy to match the missile with the launcher it came from. It's not rocket science, as they say.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #236
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Had the crash site been secured immediately they'd have a very good idea what happened. There would undoubtedly be shrapnel or other remains from the missile that struck the plane, which would allow investigators to say with certainty the exact type of missile it was. Knowing the missile they could then round up all the launchers in the area that could have fired the missile. It would be easy to match the missile with the launcher it came from. It's not rocket science, as they say.
so you find the launcher. how do you prove who fired the missle?

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #237
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
scientific deduction DUHHH!!!

the hipbone is connected to the tail bone, the tail bone is connected to the something else... and... missile launcher found.

i wouldn't know actually. a gun and bullet i know how they do it. but missile... no idea. lol. i aint a .... wait for it...

missile scientist.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 07-23-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #238
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Ted. Ted did it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #239
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Ukraines BUK missile launchers are courtesy of Russia.. as are their missiles...

The separatists, if they do have rocket launchers (so far its only been accused) would likely have been scavenged from the area which are also from Russia...

If they were given BUKs from Russia... well those would also be from Russia...

so I don't think what you suggest would have helped?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #240
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
You likely won't find the actual person, but do you really need to? All you need to know is who had possession of the launcher. Was it in Ukraine held territory or rebel held?

There are lots of ways to see where a vehicle has been. The types of dirt on the tracks. Any vegetation stuck to the vehicle. Take a sample of the fuel and compare it to tankers and other vehicles to find out who it's been grouped with.

As to whether or not a launcher fired a missile, well that's easy. There would be propellant residue on the launcher itself and even on the other missiles. Has they located the launcher they could even have followed the tracks to see where it's been and look for a patch of ground that shows evidence of a missile launch (if they haven't covered it up, which would waste valuable time when you're trying to flee a crime scene).

The bottom line, as I stated previously, is the area should have been secured immediately by a joint military group. Nobody gets in or out until cleared. Had people been watching the area then all activity (like movement of vehicles/troops) could have been monitored. There should have been planes in the air right away to start this process. As it stands, the investigation has been fucked beyond repair.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #241
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
A haunting premonition: 'What will happen if the airplane crashes?' asks boy boarding MH17

Quote:
In a bedroom in a townhouse near Amsterdam, Miguel Panduwinata reached out for his mother. "Mama, may I hug you?"
Samira Calehr wrapped her arms around her 11-year-old son, who'd been oddly agitated for days, peppering her with questions about death, about his soul, about God. The next morning, she would drop Miguel and his big brother Shaka at the airport so they could catch Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, the first leg of their journey to Bali to visit their grandmother.

Her normally cheerful, well-travelled boy should have been excited. His silver suitcase sat in the living room, ready to go. Jetskiing and surfing in paradise awaited. But something was off. A day earlier, while playing soccer, Miguel had burst out: "How would you choose to die? What would happen to my body if I was buried? Would I not feel anything because our souls go back to God?"

And now, the night before his big trip, Miguel refused to release his mother from his grasp.
He's just going to miss me, Calehr told herself. So she stretched out beside him and held him all night.

It was 11 p.m. on Wednesday, July 16. Miguel, Shaka and the 296 other people aboard Flight 17 had about 15 hours left to live.

The next morning, Samira Calehr and her friend Aan ushered her sons onto the train to the airport. They were joking and laughing. Shaka, 19, had just finished his first year of college, where he was studying textile engineering, and promised to keep an eye on Miguel. Their other brother, Mika, 16, hadn't been able to get a seat on Flight 17 and would travel to Bali the next day.

At the check-in counter, Calehr fussed over her boys' luggage. Shaka, meanwhile, realized he'd forgotten to pack socks. Calehr promised to buy him some and send them along with Mika.

Finally, they were outside customs. The boys hugged Calehr goodbye and walked toward passport control.

Suddenly, Miguel whirled around and ran back, throwing his arms around his mother.

"Mama, I'm going to miss you," he said. "What will happen if the airplane crashes?"

What was this all about? she wondered.

"Don't say that," she said, squeezing him. "Everything will be OK."

Shaka tried to reassure them both. "I will take care of him," he said to his mom. "He's my baby."

She watched the two boys walk away. But Miguel kept looking back at his mother. His big brown eyes looked sad.

Then he vanished from view.

Flight 17 took off around 12:15 p.m. on what should have been an 11 hour and 45 minute flight.

It lasted two hours.

Calehr had just finished buying Shaka's socks when her phone rang. It was her friend Aan. "Where are you?" he screamed. "The plane crashed!"

She made it home just in time to faint.

She grapples now with the what-ifs, the astronomical odds, the realization that the world she knew has grown alien in a blink. She thinks about how her baby boy seemed to sense that his time on earth was running short. She imagines the futures that will never be: Shaka's dream of becoming a textile engineer, gone. Miguel's dream of becoming a go-kart race driver, gone.

How could he have known? How could she have known?
"I should have listened to him," she says softly. "I should have listened to him."
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/haunting-p...072353607.html
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #242
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
A haunting premonition: 'What will happen if the airplane crashes?' asks boy boarding MH17

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/haunting-p...072353607.html
What a sad sad sad story

HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #243
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
You likely won't find the actual person, but do you really need to? All you need to know is who had possession of the launcher. Was it in Ukraine held territory or rebel held?

Spoiler!
I know you've done vehicular accident reconstruction before, but not air crash investigation!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote