REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #126
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
omg it was the same airline?????? why are we just finding this out now?
It's the plane model number of plane and the same Airline.

That can't be a coincidence.
Advertisement
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #127
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post

Malaysia Airlines only has 5 different aircrafts in their fleet.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #128
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

two different Boeing 777's:

MH 370 was registered 9M-MRO
MH 17 was registered 9M-MRD

Please humour me with your theory on how this cannot be coincidence?

p.s: My tinfoil hat is on standby
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #129
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
two different Boeing 777's:

MH 370 was registered 9M-MRO
MH 17 was registered 9M-MRD

Please humour me with your theory on how this cannot be coincidence?

p.s: My tinfoil hat is on standby
So what your telling me is that Registration numbers can't be changed?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #130
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
So what your telling me is that Registration numbers can't be changed?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines_fleet
They have thirteen 777s
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #131
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Read this response on Reddit and thought it was spot on

Quote:
Russia's pretty much heavily implicated in this, no matter how they spin it. Putin will be able to survive unscathed in Russia in large part due to the cult of personality he's developed. For the rest of the world, though, Russia is now facing a very, very serious risk of becoming an international pariah like North Korea. The more they do things like keep inspectors away from the crash site and keep or tamper with the black box, the worse it will get.

I'm very curious to see the fallout from this especially from the European nations in the next week. This seems to me a golden opportunity for Ukraine to cement ties with Europe by inviting in European forces to toss the Russian special forces "pro-Russia rebels" out for good and all. Russia doesn't like it, they will find they likely will have no leverage to contest it without starting a shooting war with European forces.

Russia needs to back off fast. They have an economy that needs outside connections. All that oil is not much use if you can't sell it (ask Iraq before the second Gulf War...), and the western nations could pretty much put an end to Russia's ability to legitimately sell oil to anybody other than the likes of North Korea. They are very exposed economically, and playing this wrong could result in the destruction of their economy and setbacks that would reverse decades of gains.

Add to that, this screws with what would seem to be Putin's grand plan of recapturing former Soviet satellite states. They are coming off heavy handed and bad. Russia can forget about getting any more of the Ukraine under control and they can expect other former client states to forge closer ties with Europe and the west.

TLDR: Putin's overplayed his hand, the grand scheme's been torpedoed because of trigger-happy people on the ground, and this has great potential to become a massive foreign relations and economic fiasco for Russia.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #132
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
I just thought it was interesting.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #133
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Europe needs Russian oil. Therefore, I wouldn't expect a very tough response from them.

Its definitely bad publicity for the Putin administration as the whole situation undermines their aspirations to solidify their influence within the Ukraine (specifically the eastern regions).

I would argue that the ingredients are now present in order to create a watershed moment politically in that region, however, whats more likely to happen is another memorial with a pledge to prevent further escalations in violence and "hope an incident such as this never happens again."

Ordinary citizens are expendable in the face of larger economic schemes
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #134
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Fuck these rebels and not letting the authorities deal with the bodies properly.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0FO03T20140719

As the stench of death began to pervade the area after Thursday's crash, correspondents watched rescue workers carry bodies across the fields and gather remains in black sacks.

Meeting Ukrainian President Poroshenko in Kiev, Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans said: "We are already shocked by the news we got today of bodies being dragged around, of the site not being treated properly ... People are angry, furious."

The Ukrainian security council in Kiev said staff of the emergencies ministry had found 186 bodies and had checked some 18 sq km (7 square miles) of the scattered 25-sq km crash site. But the workers were not free to conduct a normal investigation.

"The fighters have let the Emergencies Ministry workers in there but they are not allowing them to take anything from the area," security council spokesman Andriy Lysenko said. "The fighters are taking away all that has been found."
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #135
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Russia spotted editing Wikipedia page about downed Malaysia Air jet | The Verge
Old 07-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #136
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
i dont get why this would get any traction...the entry before the edit was already ridiculous and needed editing (it placed accusations as fact and used questionable language) the result of edit, was also wrong, but seemed more to be out of spite of the original erroneous entry

wtf cares? its wiki..
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #137
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #138

BBC has been showing a family that lost members in flight mh370 and now in mh17 as well :/

Two Australians on downed MH17 lost relatives on missing flight MH370 | World news | theguardian.com
Old 07-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #139
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Bodies Everywhere: Footage Of Malaysian Airline MH17 Aftermath! (*Warning* Graphic Footage) - World Star Uncut
whatheshiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #140
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone made the connection between the lost Malaysian airliner missing a couple months back with this one that was shot down is the same type of plane, same Airline too.

Missing plane:
Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shot plane:
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I smell something fishy.
Yeah okay, tin foil hat, the 777 is a very common aircraft.

How are conspiracy idiots taking hold of this one? The explanation seems pretty reasonable...just a coincidence its the same airline.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #141
...in the world.

So these rebel assholes accidently shot down a plane and now won't let people that know what they're doing get at the scene?
Old 07-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #142
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
So these rebel assholes accidently shot down a plane and now won't let people that know what they're doing get at the scene?
I find this beyond belief. There should have been investigators on scene hours after the crash with unimpeded access to the wreckage and security keeping everyone else out.

Even worse, I find it unbelievable that there isn't some protocol in place to handle crashes in remote or hostile areas. Finding out what happened to almost 300 innocent people should trump your fucking pathetic little uprising/cause.

What I think should have happened is a joint military response by several countries (say the US, Russia and a European country) who literally drop down right at the scene and immediately secure the area. Any rebels or others would get x amount of time to leave the area, after that you're considered hostile and could suffer severe consequences.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #143
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
What's funny (read: sad) is that Putin is adamant that it was the Ukraine who shot it down, yet if he truly believed that, he'd do everything he can to convince the separatists to let the investigators do their job.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #144
...in the world.

I wonder if governments think we're just stupid because sometimes, and I'm not just talking about Putin, they make moves that are just so blatantly ridiculous that they just have to think we're fucking stupid.

I guess I can't blame them because the majority of the world are pants on head idiots and no one ever calls them out on this shit.

It seems pretty legit that the rebels shot the plane down thinking it was a military target with arms they either seized from Ukrainian bases or got from Russia...and then knew they fucked up big.

That explanation just seems so likely that...how in the fuck do you convince the world otherwise just by saying "Oh no, those fucking Ukrainians did it. Not the cool rebel ones that are with us that have those weapons and are capable of doing so but those jackass Ukrainians that want to join stinky Europe. Because."
Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #145

I was watching the BBC earlier and they said that there are investigators on the ground the problem is is that the separatists aren't allowing the investigators to remove anything from the scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
That explanation just seems so likely that...how in the fuck do you convince the world otherwise just by saying "Oh no, those fucking Ukrainians did it. Not the cool rebel ones that are with us that have those weapons and are capable of doing so but those jackass Ukrainians that want to join stinky Europe. Because."
again from a debate seen on the bbc, 1 guest was saying exactly that "isn't it more likely that separatists with these weapons but no real knowledge on its use accidentally fired on the airliner?" and it was argued that it isn't actually known that the separatists have BUKs it's simply an accusation
Old 07-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #146
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Good post. Both Russia and China are getting a lot more aggro lately, and it's a bit disconcerting
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #147
...in the world.

From what I've been reading, apparently one of the rebels bragged that they had taken a battery of anti-air missles on their wacky Ukraine social media. I forget where I read that but take it with a grain of salt.

Either way, I don't see any reason to suspect conspiracy at all here. Nothing about this situation seems unbelievable.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #148
...in the world.

This is a Vice News video, by the way...not some shaky Russian dash cam. It's still...somewhat censored but WHAT THE FUCK

You know how if a plane crashes in the developed world, there are tons of emergency vehicles with specialized trucks with specialized equipment and people in full body condoms picking through the wreckage so they preserve everything for further investigation?

Yeah, none of that here. Just random Ukranians throwing shit into the back of a truck. They're not even wearing gloves.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #149
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

I want the Dutch army to go in there and wipe out these rebel asshats!

nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #150
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
It's a bad situation and a situation which I believe even Putin has no control over. Most of these pro-Russian militia's are independent from each other with no one supreme leader controlling them. Putin and the Russian government might get some of them to abide to a cease fire but others will continue to fight despite this incident and I believe things will continue to escalate in that region.

And I fault the EU for letting this situation get out of control. It's in their own back yard but yet EU leaders have looked the other way and continue to look at the US to do something because no one wants to to get their hands dirty and spoil their relations with Russia because of exports that are too valuable to the EU. After this incident, it's time for leaders like Merkel to step up to the plate and start going after Russia with severe sanctions.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote