REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #151
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
I want the Dutch army to go in there and wipe out these rebel asshats!

I dunno why the Dutch or Malaysia haven't been more outspoken or threaten war.

If there were 150 Americans on board. You betcha an invasion would be sent in to secure that crash site.
Advertisement
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #152
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
It's a bad situation and a situation which I believe even Putin has no control over. Most of these pro-Russian militia's are independent from each other with no one supreme leader controlling them. Putin and the Russian government might get some of them to abide to a cease fire but others will continue to fight despite this incident and I believe things will continue to escalate in that region.

And I fault the EU for letting this situation get out of control. It's in their own back yard but yet EU leaders have looked the other way and continue to look at the US to do something because no one wants to to get their hands dirty and spoil their relations with Russia because of exports that are too valuable to the EU. After this incident, it's time for leaders like Merkel to step up to the plate and start going after Russia with severe sanctions.
He has lots of control because he is arming them. The BUK missile takes 6 months of training to use so some random rebel could not have used it. The rebels are in constant contact with the Russian military. Putin could close the boarder and stop supplying the rebels. That would but a big hurt on the Rebels.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #153
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
It's a bad situation and a situation which I believe even Putin has no control over. Most of these pro-Russian militia's are independent from each other with no one supreme leader controlling them. Putin and the Russian government might get some of them to abide to a cease fire but others will continue to fight despite this incident and I believe things will continue to escalate in that region.

And I fault the EU for letting this situation get out of control. It's in their own back yard but yet EU leaders have looked the other way and continue to look at the US to do something because no one wants to to get their hands dirty and spoil their relations with Russia because of exports that are too valuable to the EU. After this incident, it's time for leaders like Merkel to step up to the plate and start going after Russia with severe sanctions.
Not much will happen. They will go on TV made a statment and that's about it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #154
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
I dunno why the Dutch or Malaysia haven't been more outspoken or threaten war.

If there were 150 Americans on board. You betcha an invasion would be sent in to secure that crash site.
They need evidence to declare a valid war (let's not bring up gulf war 2, WMD)

This war could be massive. It would be west vs east again, not west vs some little backward country... Especially with china warning of not jumping to conclusions against Russia.

What will be interesting is China's response, they've been unhelpful in all world conflicts (i.e. Philippines typhoon couple years ago, nice donation arse hats), but if Russia are proven to have indirectly or directly done this, surely they need to partake in sanctions and potential action as a major player in the free world economy.

With the militants / separatists blocking access, taking black boxes, does this not seem like an indication of guilt? If u did nothing, why would u block access? Let the truth come out.

Diplomacy must lead to any action, this will be long and slow... Putin will never admit anything, and this may end up costing a lot of lives in the long term, either by significant economic sanctions which may lead to a forceful reaction by Putin, or a more immediate support for Ukraine by the west, which may lead to a full blown east/west war.

I am so saddened by all of this and the prospect of more war. We need love, not war. Hard work, not fighting. We need to accept the world we live in, not want to break it up. Accept each other's individual freedoms, and not want to change their ways, etc. but most ppl are fucking idiots, hence all the wars and death... Now of absolutely unrelated innocent people.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:42 AM   #155
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
There's never going to be a WWII style war in the near future. The economies of the countries are so intertwined, it wouldn't be in their best interest. You'll most likely see economic sanctions against Russia. Military or "humanitarian" aid might increase to the Ukraine to piss off the Russians. More sabre rattling for a few weeks and then that's it.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #156
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
There's never going to be a WWII style war in the near future. The economies of the countries are so intertwined, it wouldn't be in their best interest. You'll most likely see economic sanctions against Russia. Military or "humanitarian" aid might increase to the Ukraine to piss off the Russians. More sabre rattling for a few weeks and then that's it.
There will be WW3 useless unless the citizen in every each wanting to wage war fight their government tooth and nail to stop it.

The USA debt is 17 Trillion dollars, what do they have to lose by going to war. Even if USA/Europe starts war, China will not stand for the US being in Russia and they will have a coalition with Russia.

War is a racket, look is up. The biggest benefactors of wars are the companies that provides arms to the waring states. And the losers are the lives that are sacrificed in the name of "peace".

And lastly, Sanctions by the US is an act of war. The US put sanctions on Japan and goaded them to attack Pearl Habour because of it.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #157
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
There will be WW3 useless unless the citizen in every each wanting to wage war fight their government tooth and nail to stop it.

The USA debt is 17 Trillion dollars, what do they have to lose by going to war. Even if USA/Europe starts war, China will not stand for the US being in Russia and they will have a coalition with Russia.

War is a racket, look is up. The biggest benefactors of wars are the companies that provides arms to the waring states. And the losers are the lives that are sacrificed in the name of "peace".

And lastly, Sanctions by the US is an act of war. The US put sanctions on Japan and goaded them to attack Pearl Habour because of it.

Don't even know how to respond to this...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #158

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:

Jesus Christ you are dumb.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #159
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Here's some detailed analysis of the SA-11 Gadfly missile system that was 'allegedly' used to take down MH17. Though 30 years old this is a very capable bit of kit and not something that some rebels off the street could operate. The people onboard that 777 would have had no idea what hit them.

Full article: Buk 9K37/ SA-11 Gadfly SAM | SOFREP

For the question of how the United States could tell where and when the radar system was turned on and seeing thermal imaging of the airliner crashing - I can't comment on the assets they may have in the area but it's common sense to know they've had DSP satellite(s) observing the region within hours of the conflict in Ukraine beginning.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #160
I subscribe to Revscene

Gordon Duff's article.
MH17 Working Group Established | Veterans Today

Who is Gordon Duff
Spoiler!
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #161
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Here's some detailed analysis of the SA-11 Gadfly missile system that was 'allegedly' used to take down MH17. Though 30 years old this is a very capable bit of kit and not something that some rebels off the street could operate. The people onboard that 777 would have had no idea what hit them.
To clarify, what I took away from this article is that the original system, developed 30 years ago, was already capable of easily shooting down an airliner.

The author made mention that the system has been refined by the Russian Federation. Obviously, sophisticated weapons (like SAMs) would get improved over time as technology allowed even though their basic design is the same.

So if an original SA-11 was already "very capable" then we can assume newer versions are even better (more accurate, lower failure rates, faster target acquisition and maybe even improved friend/foe detection).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #162

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
Gordon Duff's article.
MH17 Working Group Established | Veterans Today

Who is Gordon Duff
Spoiler!
Wtf is wrong with u? Why is everything a conspiracy which somehow involves Jewish people?

That article was written as the rambling a of a crazy old man.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #163
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:

Looks like someone is trying to out-crazy Charles in Charge
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #164
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

Full article: Buk 9K37/ SA-11 Gadfly SAM | SOFREP

For the question of how the United States could tell where and when the radar system was turned on and seeing thermal imaging of the airliner crashing - I can't comment on the assets they may have in the area but it's common sense to know they've had DSP satellite(s) observing the region within hours of the conflict in Ukraine beginning.
I'm not an expert on planes so I thought you could comment on this. Could MH 17's pilots see something that is heading towards them in the plane's radar system even though there is nothing they can do?
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #165
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I seriously doubt a 777 is capable of dodging a missile. It probably depends on how the missile is guided but still the missile is travelling so much faster than the 777 is capable of maneuvering.

And commercial planes don't have what you're thinking of as radar. Its not like in a movie where an unidentified object shows up. Their screen would only have information from other planes equipped with transponders or information relayed by ATC.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #166
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

RT: ?It was Putin?s missile? by Pepe Escobar | 2012: What's the 'real' truth?

take it as you will, its still an interesting read
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #167
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post
I'm not an expert on planes so I thought you could comment on this. Could MH 17's pilots see something that is heading towards them in the plane's radar system even though there is nothing they can do?
The missile would not have appeared on their radar. It's a far more complex system in military aircraft which are tied in to countermeasures which allows a pilot to ID and defeat threats. As the missle was coming from below them they wouldn't have seen it coming at all.

Note that the SA-11 has IFF capability. Given the complexity of operation of a system like this it's my opinion that there are two options for how this went down:

1 - A trained operator targeted the airliner, saw it visually, ignored its squak ident as a commercial passenger carrier, and fired anyway.

2 - Someone was trained by an operator (Russian or Ukranian) but was unaware or uninformed on how IFF works and fired thinking it was a military transport like an Antonov.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #168
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Or you can try it yourself with a SAM simulator

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Though only covers up to Geckos. It is not as easy as people think.

IFF only applies to military aircrafts NOT civilian aircrafts. Apparently the missile launcher suspected can't tell the difference between civilian and military unless hooked up to the ATC (which I suspect they didn't as they are "non government actors")

Quote:
The missile would not have appeared on their radar. It's a far more complex system in military aircraft which are tied in to countermeasures which allows a pilot to ID and defeat threats. As the missle was coming from below them they wouldn't have seen it coming at all.

Note that the SA-11 has IFF capability. Given the complexity of operation of a system like this it's my opinion that there are two options for how this went down:

1 - A trained operator targeted the airliner, saw it visually, ignored its squak ident as a commercial passenger carrier, and fired anyway.

2 - Someone was trained by an operator (Russian or Ukranian) but was unaware or uninformed on how IFF works and fired thinking it was a military transport like an Antonov.

Last edited by godwin; 07-20-2014 at 11:27 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #169
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
.... unless hooked up to the ATC (which I suspect they didn't as they are "non government actors")
Touché.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #170
I subscribe to Revscene

I blame the ZioAmericans.
Spoiler!

------------
Is it tiring for you guys to keep following the same ZioAmerican news outlets, come on here to regurgitate the same story line, but to find out you were bamboozled once again?
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #171
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #172
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
If Russia doesn't accept blame....they should just off every rebel in sight...there shouldn't have being a whole sector in the first place...& only have the Russian army....those pieces of shit.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #173
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts

Assuming the Russians are heavily involved (which I'm assuming they are), I will officially never touch Russian Vodka ever again. I think more of us should do the same.

Thank God I can buy local Banff Glacier Vodka instead.

Also, while it's commendable that nations will not go to war with each other as easily as in the past, it's sad that it's probably due to economic interests rather than moral interests.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #174
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
What if I already have bottles of vodka I brought back from Russia?

Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #175
I subscribe to Revscene

Satellite data on MH17 should be released: Analyst
Satellite data on MH17 should be released: Analyst | Veterans Today

Malaysia and Gaza Victims of Western Aggression
NEO ? Malaysia and Gaza Victims of Western Aggression | Veterans Today
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc