REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hiking the Chief

Has anyone hiked the chief lately? Which peak is the new gondola located? Is it pretty far away from the top? Thanks!
Advertisement
canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
The gondola isn't on the chief. It's next to it, located just off the highway.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Actually did the chief yesterday, great time but as hud said, that Gondola won't get you to there
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Is there a separate trail that will get you to the gondola? I've been reading how you can hike up and take the gondola down, but I have no idea how you even get there. Normally I would just hike down but my girlfriend has bad knees and would prefer to not go downhill
canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The sea to sky gondola hike is between 3-6 hour hike to get to the top of where the gondola is. Depending which trail you take the time can vary. When you park at the base of the gondola there is a trail that leads to a split. There will be signs telling you which route you would like to take. If you take left that will take you to the chief and right will be to the gondola peak. There will be markings along the trail and there will be signs telling you in which direction to go and how long each trail will take when going to the top of the gondola.
blackjack101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
"canucksfan"

lol
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #7
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Hiking the chief itself does not get you to the gondola. You must hike the Sea to Summit trail, which involves hiking the first part of the chief, and then splitting off to the S2S trail. That is the trail that has the new gondola.
The trail itself is 9k in length, with an elevation of about 1k. It's a great hike!

Good luck!
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
^looollll
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

If your gf has bad knees she may have a difficult time going up the Chief, never mind coming down. There are some sections that require some wicked knee bends and a large section of it is basically walking up stairs.

As others have said, you can't hike up to the chief and take the gondola down, the hike to the gondola is a different hike altogether.
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Sea to Sky Gondola

this should help you. the gondola hike is pretty much split up into 3rds. 1/3 of it is a portion of the chief trail (pretty much the stair-like portion of the hike). next 3rd takes you to upper shannon falls. final 3rd, you have 2 choices: upper sea to summit (slightly longer but less vertical intensity) or wrinkle rock (shorter, more vertical intensity).

when i did the gondola hike from the base, i found the 1st 3rd to be the most intense since it was pretty much like climbing up stairs the whole time. for the final junction, i took wrinkle rock, which was a pretty fun stretch.
zonda_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #11
FB6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Like everyone said, as you hike it'll spit, left will take you to the Chief and right will take you to the Gondola. The 1st half of the hike is probably the hardest part, then the last half is pretty flat and wide.
FB6 is offline   Reply With Quote