REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #51
HELP ME PLS!!!

I think it's the workplace equality thing too. In some fields, being a woman is enough to get hired.
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #52
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Good point, didn't think about that. I assumed it would be harder for her because of the nature of the job..
Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #53
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I know a guy who was doing smokey environment rescue or some shit and he was up in Fort Mac at some safety seminar.

They had a huge classroom with 100+ guys in it and they were running down a checklist of things to do in an emergency, one of the instructors was quizzing everyone on something like, in what order do you rescue personnel?

Someone yelled out "By skin colour, whites first, pakis last"

The whole room laughed!

That's the mentality up there, as far as I've heard!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
i make jokes like that often and im EI.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #55
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I know a guy who was doing smokey environment rescue or some shit and he was up in Fort Mac at some safety seminar.

They had a huge classroom with 100+ guys in it and they were running down a checklist of things to do in an emergency, one of the instructors was quizzing everyone on something like, in what order do you rescue personnel?

The whole room laughed!

Well that's it. You heard 1 story and it's obviously like that. Or the folks who actually work there can tell you what's up.

It's a male dominated work place. If you can't handle some teasing or joking you're gonna be an outcast in any male dominated work place.

Every single woman I've worked with in industrial has had an epic sense of humour.

I'm a chink up here.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #56
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
What do you want to know? They come out to safety meetings and then fuck off back to their shack to jerk off, watch tv, work on courses, generally do absolutely nothing.
That's pretty much what I heard too. Really bad for keeping your skills up to date too.. But lots of free time to study/online courses I guess. Any idea what the pay is like and how in demand they are right now?
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #57
My homepage has been set to RS

Also, if people are seriously thinking of entering that kind of job market, but don't want to live in Fort McMurray, there are lots of jobs available in NISKU which is just south of Edmonton (across from the airport). It is one of the world's largest energy industrial parks, and a lot of the stuff that gets built there makes its way up to Fort McMurray. Not sure if the pay is the same as Fort McMurray, but it is a good start as every company had a Help Wanted sign out front when I drove through there last month.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #58
Banned (ABWS)

Goddamn you couldn't pay me 200k to live anywhere east of Main street
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #59
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
That's pretty much what I heard too. Really bad for keeping your skills up to date too.. But lots of free time to study/online courses I guess. Any idea what the pay is like and how in demand they are right now?
As far as "oil patch" jobs go the money isn't very good. But you'll make more than the equivalent job in the mainland and since it's such easy work you can easily do a 5 week hitch and not be completely burnt out. From what I was told you get a day rate, then you get paid substantially more if you actually have to do some medic work.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #60
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
No Kidding.. you are not there actually building anything. I think medic is a good side thing to have but if you want the big $ you still have to get dirty or high up in management.

It seems the undertone in this thread is how to get a job in the oil sands without much training and/or upfront cost, won't get you dirty / laborious but gets you tons of money. I haven't seen any unicorns like that have you?

Quote:
As far as "oil patch" jobs go the money isn't very good. But you'll make more than the equivalent job in the mainland and since it's such easy work you can easily do a 5 week hitch and not be completely burnt out. From what I was told you get a day rate, then you get paid substantially more if you actually have to do some medic work.

Last edited by godwin; 07-28-2014 at 02:47 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #61

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
IMO medic is right up there with security in terms of the worst possible career path to take advantage of in the oil sands.

Again IMO, absolute quickest way to make the most money is via NDT/Inspection. Notice I didn't say the easiest, it's far from the most labor intense job, but some people still can't hack it.

An expensive, though excellent introduction into the field is offered at SAIT, from here you can get out and immediately work towards your hours, end up with various CGSB tickets in less than a year... and then hello 200K/year if you work like a dog and you're not a retard.

Non-Destructive Testing Foundations | SAIT Polytechnic | Calgary, Alberta

There is also the glorious fact that these tickets could even get you work locally with a decent wage as well
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #62
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Goddamn you couldn't pay me 200k to live anywhere east of Main street
You should venture east of Main Street more often. The blow is still pretty good.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
You should venture east of Main Street more often. The blow is still pretty good.

I'm off the booger sugar!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #64
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Finally got my GPO certificate (after graduating last year).

Not that I'll use it ... or remember anything from it.

Hoping I can get a solid 6-figure (or at least high-5-figure) job here, but if I can't, what can a 3rd class power engineer with instrumentation and gas processing certificates in addition to DDC programming and HVAC experience make in AB?

Hope to have all of them done by the end of next year.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #65
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Finally got my GPO certificate (after graduating last year).

Not that I'll use it ... or remember anything from it.

Hoping I can get a solid 6-figure (or at least high-5-figure) job here, but if I can't, what can a 3rd class power engineer with instrumentation and gas processing certificates in addition to DDC programming and HVAC experience make in AB?

Hope to have all of them done by the end of next year.
150k - 250k, thats if you want to work in the oilsands. But im sure some city jobs pay right up there as well. Dunno if you will need ALL that at the job you apply for, still helps to make the resume look better.
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #66
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
IMO medic is right up there with security in terms of the worst possible career path to take advantage of in the oil sands.
For sure.. I was just looking into doing it for the short term while waiting to take the next level paramedic course. Definitely do not wanna be in industry paramedicine as a career.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #67
Need my Daily Fix of RS

My cousin is looking to get into a job at fort mac when he's done schooling, he's a first year electrician. Any suggestions for good companies ?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #68
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Again IMO, absolute quickest way to make the most money is via NDT/Inspection. Notice I didn't say the easiest, it's far from the most labor intense job, but some people still can't hack it.
This. They're always looking for inspectors, and the pay is great. Plus, once you have some experience, getting a contractor job allows you to make a ridiculous amount of money if you're not looking for job security.
jayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #69

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:

The whole room laughed!

Yea lots of racism up here.
Especially towards to middle eastern demographic.
And oddly enough the Jamaican black people are racist towards the African black people.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #70

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Yea lots of racism up here.
Mostly towards Newfies.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #71

Quote:
Mostly towards Newfies.
Well I work in retail up here and two of my managers are black, I am asian and I have 3 Caucasian managers. Often times when we get called up the customer would ask to speak to a white manager.... They usually say "I want to speak to someone that's actually Canadian"
I have had to kick a few people out of my store for calling my staff the n word.

Now I don't hire anybody on the tfw program, but because a lot of my staff are not white, people automatically assume that these staff are on foreign work visas (which they are not) and they make comments about how as a company we need to hire more good old fashioned Canadian workers. (which means white people to them)
Old 07-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #72
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Racism is everywhere, unfortunately.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #73

Having worked in a few small towns... I must say a lot of times it is ignorance rather than pure racism.
Hard to believe, but a lot of small town folks have a hard time understanding how you can be "Canadian" if you are not white or I guess native (but there is a lot of racism there too).
When I worked in vernon, I had staff that had never been to vancouver and have a hard time believing me when I tell them that over 50% of the population in Richmond is asian.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #74
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
What do you want to know? They come out to safety meetings and then fuck off back to their shack to jerk off, watch tv, work on courses, generally do absolutely nothing.
Can confirm did somethign similiar. Quit after my second rotation because I hated how bored I was.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #75
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just scrolling instagram today I saw that my cousin who is a hairdresser went up to work on a rig.

It makes no fucking sense to me. He has a successful youtube channel and Hairdressers do well (easily 70-80k a year) but chose to go become a rig pig.

I'm guessing he's doing a rotation then comes back to cut hair?

Either way good luck to those that head up. Thinking about doing my 3rd year of my apprenticeship up north.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote