REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #51
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
So many people who dont take the trains and complaining about it...sheesh...i take it everyday and days like these i get to go home early so i can hitch a ride with others...perfect for me...
I use it on a daily because is faster than driving. Is not such a big deal but when there is an issue transit doesn't response fast enough. Last week outrage I was stuck at VCC for an hour and the sky train attend there just told us find another way home withou providing any info on shuttle or anything like that ........
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
what about that time i got a flat tire or a dead battery or got stuck in the shitty traffic we get all the fucking time.

i wish i could take transit and only got stuck a few times a year for a couple hours.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
why is Skytrain so unreliable?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #54
HELP ME PLS!!!

Skytrain was comissioned in 1986. That's almost 30 years of service. It's something to do with the power rails needing replacing. Which they are doing now.

REALITY CHECK: Why is SkyTrain breaking down so frequently?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #55
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
lol u guys need to go HK & take there metro system, bloody expensive & over charging ppl

a while back it broke twice with in the 1 month back to back, translink is a joke but MTR in hk is bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #56
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
The HK MTR used to be world class. It is only turning into shxt now because the higher ups are constantly sending their top technical expertise out of the city to do consulting work for other subway lines (even though those contract don't earn them very much money since they need to submit some fairly aggressive bids to get the contract in the first place). To make matter worse, the upper management retards are succumbing to both financial and political pressure from Mainland China, and started buying cheapa$$ Chinese-made replacement parts and trains. Continual ridership at 90%+ of capacity, including 100%+ ridership during peak hours also takes a toll on the hardware.

I, for one, am not at all surprised that MTR, much like a lot of other stuff in HK, has turned into shxt now.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #57
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
I used to be quite convinced Translink is a total fuck up ......until I read this article and realized it's really the provincial government that has fucked shit up for the lower mainland

Quote:
Finally, and most important of all, there is the issue of a cash strapped TransLink. While most public transit agencies are just responsible for public transit, TransLink’s mandate covers far beyond simply regional public transit but also major arterial roads and bridges. Case in point, TransLink is currently under public pressure to find a solution to replace the dangerous and seismically unsafe 1937-built Pattullo Bridge. The estimated cost? $1.2-billion.

Despite what many might think, when TransLink was founded in 1999 it was never given a steady, reliable, nor sufficient source of revenue to carry out its large mandate. In 2001, shortly after BC Transit handed over Metro Vancouver’s transportation responsibilities to TransLink, the BC NDP provincial government canceled the implementation of a crucial component of the agency’s revenue source – a $60.00 annual vehicle levy on the region’s motor vehicles to help fund the agency’s large mandate. This would have raised well over $1-billion in revenue for TransLink had the levy been collected by ICBC since 2001.

Fast forward to 2013, both the region’s public transit and road network are severely strained by high demand, congestion, and aging systems in certain areas. Apart from the SkyTrain Evergreen Line, which is currently well under construction, transit expansion has been put to a halt since 2009 when TransLink’s budget issues became a forefront issue. At the time, the public was warned that not only would expansion would be halted but existing service levels would be strained for funding as well.

TransLink’s primary revenue sources of property taxes and fares (some of the highest in the country) are now maxed out. TransLink’s fuel tax on the region’s vehicles has also reached its peak potential given the prevalence of fuel efficient vehicles. Record high fuel prices, in addition to fuel taxes, also act as a further deterrent to driving.

The only solution towards more and better public transit and roads is with provincial government leadership. Only the provincial government can grant TransLink new and additional revenue collection sources.
so while Translink is crumbling from anaemic funding, ICBC rakes in $600m profits annually, which conveniently goes to the government as general revenue

rest of the article is quite shitty, but here's the sauce anyway
REALITY CHECK: Why is SkyTrain breaking down so frequently?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #58
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
i dont see why they dont just issue bonds for bridge projects like many areas do for major projects (like china does for its airports, many municipalities do for public works projects)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #59
RS controls my life!

LOL, so who wants a private transit system now?

Last edited by FS1992EG; 07-21-2014 at 08:44 PM.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #60
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
so many people complain complain and complain. yes, i agree it is shitty that it happens. and the fact it happened within a week of each incident makes it that much worst.

but given the start time of the system until now, how many incidents have there been that are this huge?

i'd like to see you guys own a 20+ year car and for it to not have any problems.
My family's 1993 Toyota Camry never had any problems that resulted in us getting stranded. My 1992 Integra was also bulletproof. Japanese cars from the 1990s > any other machine.

Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #61

why do they call Skytrain "rapid transit" ??

As far as I know they're one of the slowest in the world.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The HK MTR used to be world class.

Vancouver Skytrain

Hong Kong MTR

Shanghai Railway

Paris RATP

London Rail Network

JR Tokyo

Last edited by Timpo; 07-21-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #63
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Skytrain issues....AGAIN

I think the millennium line loop is a bad design. The problem with this is if millennium line breaks down, they will have to shut down expo line too. This creates jams from 5 different areas. Since the skytrains are getting old, they should just separate the two and build another station at Columbia for a quick fix. Make it so people hop on to another set of tracks instead of sharing the same route from Columbia to waterfront.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #64
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
I wonder what BC transit is gonna do to compensate the riders
Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #65
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkthind View Post
I wonder what BC transit is gonna do to compensate the riders
N
O
T
H
I
N
G

when you rely on a combo bus / skytrain it is really hard. getting from downtown to south delta is twice as long as it used to be when the 601/2/3/4 were around. but the bc liberals don't care about the conservative s. delta area, they care about richmond
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #66
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
N
O
T
H
I
N
G

when you rely on a combo bus / skytrain it is really hard. getting from downtown to south delta is twice as long as it used to be when the 601/2/3/4 were around. but the bc liberals don't care about the conservative s. delta area, they care about richmond
Thought they would give out free epic fail compass cards for the rider to make their already shitty public transit experience even more shitty
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #67
My homepage has been set to RS

LOL @ everyone complaining about the skytrain. It's been around running for what, 20 years? Rarely has issues like this, but that's what happens when things get old or there are unforseen issues. Hell, in London some of their lines would be down for hours for similar reasons. It's not JUST a skytrain thing... if you don't want to rely on others and machines to get you where you need to go... buy a car. If you can't buy a car... be happy we have at least what we have even if it does have issues once in a while.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
TransLink says it's offering riders a free day of transit on BC Day to make up for recent outages.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #69
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
LOL @ everyone complaining about the skytrain. It's been around running for what, 20 years? Rarely has issues like this, but that's what happens when things get old or there are unforseen issues. Hell, in London some of their lines would be down for hours for similar reasons. It's not JUST a skytrain thing... if you don't want to rely on others and machines to get you where you need to go... buy a car. If you can't buy a car... be happy we have at least what we have even if it does have issues once in a while.
Cars break down too. People can walk or STFU.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Cars break down too. People can walk or STFU.
Yeah but well organized public transit should be way more reliable than driving cars.

Trains are immune to traffic jam if they're controlled and maintained properly.

as far as I can see, Skytrain is not even close to being reliable.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #71
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
TransLink says it's offering riders a free day of transit on BC Day to make up for recent outages.
paid for by the people driving cars. Thanks translink
classified is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #72
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
At first I thought they were just trolling us all since they used to have free transit days on some holidays, but turns out that was only on Canada day.

In regards to the actual incident:

Human error led to Monday?s SkyTrain shut down: Translink to offer free transit day | Globalnews.ca

Sounds like computer glitches and stuff is all just BS, a worker fucked the grid during routine maintenance.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
At first I thought they were just trolling us all since they used to have free transit days on some holidays, but turns out that was only on Canada day.

Human error led to Monday?s SkyTrain shut down: Translink to offer free transit day | Globalnews.ca

Sounds like computer glitches and stuff is all just BS, a worker fucked the grid during routine maintenance.
so it's unreliable 5% of the time
“Our trains are reliable 95% of the time, but we know that is little consolation for customers who are delayed for hours when we do have a significant breakdown,”
Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #74
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

The weakest part of any system is the squishy meat sack we put in charge of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Yeah but well organized public transit should be way more reliable than driving cars.

Trains are immune to traffic jam if they're controlled and maintained properly.

as far as I can see, Skytrain is not even close to being reliable.
As you said afterwards, 95% reliability which is pretty damn good.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
As you said afterwards, 95% reliability which is pretty damn good.
ok wait a sec, what does 95% reliability mean?

does it mean train comes 95% of the time? or train doesn't break down 95% of time?