REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 08-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I'm no photographer, but last week I some close time with my brothers dslr. Biggest two gripes with mirror less is that the battery life sucked, but the biggest was the response time of the eye piece screen . It didn't run the eye piece and main screen at the same time, so it would take a fraction of a second to turn on the eye piece once raised up to my eye. I'm not used to that and I realized I missed a lot of quick shots waiting for the damn eye piece to turn on.
Advertisement
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
i'm assuming that's an older mirrorless...mine doesn't have that problem by the time my eyes are into the EVF it's already on...but the downside is that the sensor is a bit too sensitive
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Ditto the X-E2. The EVF fired immediately when I put my eye to it.

With smaller batteries come worse battery life (until they give consumers the technology that is increasing capacity of LiOn batteries). It's something you have to accept when moving smaller.

As for missing shots- I got used to tracking with the rear lcd. It's easier than using the EVF imo, and you don't get dizzy watching the screen lag/tear lol
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
Got MOD?

Hmmm XE-2. Maybe I should've gotten that instead of my current mirrorless travel light setup. Nex6 with 18-105mm F4 G.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #30

I really fought hard between going with the Sony A6000 and the Fuji (X-E2/X-T1). As much as I loved the AF performance on the Sony, the E-Mount lens selection wasn't great. I didn't feel like buying 3rd party and adapters (which defeat the purpose of travelling light since they're 35mm lenses). And Fuji's lenses are some of the best I've seen/used in terms of IQ, image stabilization, size, and build quality (both mirrorless and 35mm lenses). To be fair to Sony, I contemplated getting the body just for the AF, but I couldn't justify it.

The Fujis are expensive, but IMO come as close to replacing my DSLR lineup in terms of mirrorless cameras.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Kinda was stuck in this similar dilemma. I want something lighter and convenient for traveling without the bulk and weight of my DSLR. The thing is that, photography is a hobby for me and didn't make sense for me to have both a mirrorless setup and DSLR setup as I know I'll end up leaving one of the setup untouched.

Decided to keep the DSLR even though it's heavy and bulky. I've invested too much time and money into it, hard to let it go . Using my camera phone for the days I don't carry the DSLR lol .
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,548 Times in 1,155 Posts
I'm trying to get rid of my gear, considering Sony A7 or Fuji X-E2. Leaning towards A7 atm because full frame.
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Kinda was stuck in this similar dilemma. I want something lighter and convenient for traveling without the bulk and weight of my DSLR. The thing is that, photography is a hobby for me and didn't make sense for me to have both a mirrorless setup and DSLR setup as I know I'll end up leaving one of the setup untouched.

Decided to keep the DSLR even though it's heavy and bulky. I've invested too much time and money into it, hard to let it go . Using my camera phone for the days I don't carry the DSLR lol .
I totally understand. It took me months to grow the courage to sell off all my of gear (body + 6 lenses). One of the benefits was that I actually made money by making the switch, which is welcome given I'm getting married in a year or so. But letting go of the system that I had for so long (1 year for the 6D, but 5 prior with the 50D) definitely wasn't easy, and was more hassle than I thought. But looking back, I definitely don't regret the switch. Mirrorless has come a long way, and in Fuji's (and specifically my) case they're almost there in terms of replacing a DSLR for us hobbyists (assuming you don't exclusively shoot sports).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
I'm trying to get rid of my gear, considering Sony A7 or Fuji X-E2. Leaning towards A7 atm because full frame.
I thought about the A7 shortly, but realized that I'd be keeping the full frame glass around since the native E-mount selection was severely lacking. Looking at the reviews for the Fuji lenses I was interested in, they all scored as well if not better than their Canon equivalents (and they're so much smaller too!) so it made it a lot easier to switch since I didn't really need FF.

That said, if you need FF the A7/r is the way to go. You get the best sensor, and with a couple of adapters you can match it with the best that Canikon/Leica/etc have to offer. The only real downside to it is the battery life since it is mirrorless and needs to keep the smaller profile.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I thought about the A7 shortly, but realized that I'd be keeping the full frame glass around since the native E-mount selection was severely lacking. Looking at the reviews for the Fuji lenses I was interested in, they all scored as well if not better than their Canon equivalents (and they're so much smaller too!) so it made it a lot easier to switch since I didn't really need FF.

That said, if you need FF the A7/r is the way to go. You get the best sensor, and with a couple of adapters you can match it with the best that Canikon/Leica/etc have to offer. The only real downside to it is the battery life since it is mirrorless and needs to keep the smaller profile.
I decided today that I'm going to go for the Fuji X-T1, I've watched a bunch of video reviews and I'm actually more excited about it then the Sony. Also its cheaper and more lenses available for it through work =D. Now to sell off my gear
artofstance on twitter
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Old 09-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
I decided today that I'm going to go for the Fuji X-T1, I've watched a bunch of video reviews and I'm actually more excited about it then the Sony. Also its cheaper and more lenses available for it through work =D. Now to sell off my gear
JELLY!

You won't be disappointed at all. Handling the A7, OM-D EM-1 and XT-1, the Fuji handled the best. And oh lawwwwwwwwwwd that EVF. Did you actually try it in store? I guarantee that once you try it, you won't want to leave the store without one!

I just got my X-E2 kit with 55-200 today. Just sold my 135L so I'll be picking up a 56 1.2 with that cash. And I already picked up a 23 1.4 the other day (but it's with a friend who's borrowing it). I'm waiting for my extra batteries to come in from Amazon (well, to Blaine), so I can go on a pseudo-extended shoot. I'm pretty much all set except for a UWA (looking at the Roki 12 f/2), and with cash to spare from my DSLR sales.

You won't be disappointed Matsuda (unless you really need the tracking and AF performance of a SLR). Keep us posted!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #36
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

A couple of questions for those thinking of moving/moved to mirrorless

1. For people who bought an XT-1 or A7, do you find that your set-up is only marginally smaller than a DSLR? I feel like the EVF hump takes away from the "compact" feel of mirrorless.

2. Does anyone use a lens adapter? All the reviews I see online show slow/inaccurate AF even with a metabones adapter. Wondering if I should sell all my lenses.
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #37
Retired B&S Mod

Quote:
I really fought hard between going with the Sony A6000 and the Fuji (X-E2/X-T1). As much as I loved the AF performance on the Sony, the E-Mount lens selection wasn't great. I didn't feel like buying 3rd party and adapters (which defeat the purpose of travelling light since they're 35mm lenses).
I tried out the adapter and however the autofocus works, it doesn't work well.

I ended up getting the Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 to match my a6000.

pretty impressed so far.

My Revscene Feedback Rating
pizzaMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui712 View Post

1. For people who bought an XT-1 or A7, do you find that your set-up is only marginally smaller than a DSLR? I feel like the EVF hump takes away from the "compact" feel of mirrorless.

2. Does anyone use a lens adapter? All the reviews I see online show slow/inaccurate AF even with a metabones adapter. Wondering if I should sell all my lenses.
1. If you're keeping your 35mm lenses, then yes the weight and space savings is minimal. It's not so much the EVF hump, but rather the depth you gain by losing the huge SLR grip. You're only saving weight and space with the body. IMO, you don't move to the A7 to save weight, but rather to have an easier time pairing a great sensor with excellent glass from other manufacturers. E-mount adapters are so much more prevalent than other mounts.

2. Given the camera you're using is mirrorless (AF is already slower than DSLR), slapping a smart adapter won't make it any better (and in fact, will likely make AF worse). A7 isn't meant to be a speed shooter, and is really suited for portraits and landscapes with MF glass on adapters. So again, if speed is of the essence, stick with a DSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaMR2 View Post
I tried out the adapter and however the autofocus works, it doesn't work well.

I ended up getting the Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 to match my a6000.

pretty impressed so far.
Yeah if I had gone with the a6000, the 32 1.8 was going to be a must buy along with their 23. The Touits are fantastic lenses.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #39
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui712 View Post

Hi Kamui,

I haven't given up on my DSLR but I do find I use my Leica M and the Sony A7R the most when going out.

My 5D3 is still too 'useful' to give up as it does everything extremely well. Maybe I'm getting old, but I get sick of lugging it around when walking about with the gf. Can't deny that it's a great tool for just about any type of shooting.

As for size, the A7R with the Zeiss 35mm lens is fairly compact. I have an adapter for my Leica lenses and also an adapter for my Canon lenses. it's a bit awkward to use when I use Canon lenses on it, but the IQ is still top notch.

My Leica lenses are amazing on the A7R. These combos keep the camera smaller compared to slapping on Canon lenses.

One downside for the Sony system is the lack of native lenses if you don't want to deal with adapter with your current gear. The battery life seems to have improved slightly in terms of standby time with the most recent firmware update. Still need more than 1-2 spare batteries with the A7R though.

The Metabones Canon adapter I have reports aperture and also can AF, but the AF is slow. I'm faster using MF and peaking with the A7R.

The AF is accurate when it hits though, but it can hunt unless you have some decent contrast in the AF box you're aiming at.

I debated selling off my Canon kit, but it's just too useful and versatile when I need to shoot just about anything.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Mashimaro; 09-03-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #40

If you can justify keeping both, why not keep both. Unfortunately I couldn't justify having a "spare" dslr for the 10% of sports and wildlife shooting that I do, but if that ratio was higher I'd definitely be keeping some sort of slr (likely downgrade to a 50D/60D/D7000) and a tele zoom around.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #41

woo good timing

http://www.bccamera.com/images.opt/0...romo_EN_LR.PDF
artofstance on twitter
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #42

If you like the idea of a wide fast prime, it's a good deal.

Otherwise, the Fuji Kit is only $200 more and, imo, is a way better lens to have. The 14 prime or upcoming 16 would probably be better options than the 18 if you're looking for a wide fast prime.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #43

X-T1 ordered..so excite!
artofstance on twitter
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Old 09-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #44
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
If I didn't need the video capability, I would've sold my 5D3 and bought a X-T1 already.

Still waiting for a good XE2 deal.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
If I didn't need the video capability, I would've sold my 5D3 and bought a X-T1 already.

Still waiting for a good XE2 deal.
Probably won't happen until the X-E3 is announced. The $1200 price tag for the kit is pretty good if you want the kit lens, given the lens being pegged at $600 on it's own.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #46

i wish i gave fuji a closer look when i was shopping...i dismissed it due to its costs upfront and did not like that they were content with the older sensor

i really like that they're built with only enthusiasts/hobbyists in mind and the OOC samples look great which means less pp and time saved. The bodies do look overly busy though and prefer the minimalist approach of other brands, esp when you're dealing with a smaller form factor, simplicity makes more sense.

that said i dont regret going a6000...the performance it packs is just too good to pass up. I'd say the X-mount and E/FE mount selection is comparable both being few years old...Fuji's do have the better build quality and for sony if you want quality it means $$$
Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #47

Quote:
1. If you're keeping your 35mm lenses, then yes the weight and space savings is minimal. It's not so much the EVF hump, but rather the depth you gain by losing the huge SLR grip. You're only saving weight and space with the body. IMO, you don't move to the A7 to save weight, but rather to have an easier time pairing a great sensor with excellent glass from other manufacturers. E-mount adapters are so much more prevalent than other mounts.

2. Given the camera you're using is mirrorless (AF is already slower than DSLR), slapping a smart adapter won't make it any better (and in fact, will likely make AF worse). A7 isn't meant to be a speed shooter, and is really suited for portraits and landscapes with MF glass on adapters. So again, if speed is of the essence, stick with a DSLR.

Yeah if I had gone with the a6000, the 32 1.8 was going to be a must buy along with their 23. The Touits are fantastic lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashimaro View Post
Hi Kamui,

I haven't given up on my DSLR but I do find I use my Leica M and the Sony A7R the most when going out.

My 5D3 is still too 'useful' to give up as it does everything extremely well. Maybe I'm getting old, but I get sick of lugging it around when walking about with the gf. Can't deny that it's a great tool for just about any type of shooting.

As for size, the A7R with the Zeiss 35mm lens is fairly compact. I have an adapter for my Leica lenses and also an adapter for my Canon lenses. it's a bit awkward to use when I use Canon lenses on it, but the IQ is still top notch.

My Leica lenses are amazing on the A7R. These combos keep the camera smaller compared to slapping on Canon lenses.

One downside for the Sony system is the lack of native lenses if you don't want to deal with adapter with your current gear. The battery life seems to have improved slightly in terms of standby time with the most recent firmware update. Still need more than 1-2 spare batteries with the A7R though.

The Metabones Canon adapter I have reports aperture and also can AF, but the AF is slow. I'm faster using MF and peaking with the A7R.

The AF is accurate when it hits though, but it can hunt unless you have some decent contrast in the AF box you're aiming at.

I debated selling off my Canon kit, but it's just too useful and versatile when I need to shoot just about anything.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the responses guys! Still struggling between the A7 or A6000. Absolutely everything about the A6000, but there's no denying the IQ of A7 in low light...

Maybe I'll hold off until sony announces the A7 successor ...

BTW did anyone go Olympus? I tried out the EM 10 , nice piece of machinery.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #48

Just wait for Photokina to finish up (just started today) just in case there are any late surprises from Sony.

If your budget allows for an A7, why not splurge for an EM-1/GH4? The EM-10 felt too much like a toy for me. Even the EM-5 did (it was too small in the hands, and I have small girly hands).
Old 09-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #49

GH4's 4K cinematics..mmm
Old 09-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #50

ya, waiting for sony to surprise us with something juicy. They need to announce a 24-70mm f/2.8 or something epic.

and yes, GH4 4k... hawt.