REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
TMT
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Cant Attend My Traffic Court Date

Hello RS,

So I have a traffic court date coming up and a family emergency just occurred resulting in me leaving overseas on the assigned date. I was wondering what steps or options should I take in order to successfully deal with my situation? I was planning to go to court tomorrow to discuss but would appreciate your advice beforehand.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
There's a form requesting for adjournment

http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/ticke...info/forms.htm (PTR818)
Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
Probably pay the ticket
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
TMT
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Are they generally lenient with the reason of not being in town due to emergency?

Thanks in advance
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Since its a family emergency, I'm assuming it's coming up pretty soon? Do note the form say:

Quote:
If the application is submitted within 14 days prior to the hearing
date, it is advised you contact the court registry directly to confirm the status of your application.
Best to just call them up and see what can be done.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
The things people do to save $139 on a speeding ticket, when they were probably actually speeding...
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
The things people do to save $139 on a speeding ticket, when they were probably actually speeding...
138 . And they could have saved 25 dollars too if paid within 30 days.. BUT we can't assume OP had a speeding ticket... But regardless, the vast majority of those who dispute, aren't doing it because they didn't commit the offence.... which makes for an entertaining trial....
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Guilty Your Honour but I don't want to be held responsible for my actions...is the most common plea in my experience.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
nma
#RVG

lol a bunch of haters here, you don't even know why he's disputing. There's a form you can fill out, I've done it before. BTW if you're just disputing the price there's also a form you can fill out and you don't have to waste everyone's time in court.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
I don't get it

No need to be a dick and assume he's guilty. You just fill out the form and you can drop it off at the courts if you're still here, or you can fax it to them (which is what I did). You get a new court date in about 1-2 weeks.
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Don't you know everyone's a great law abiding citizen dygital??

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
138 . And they could have saved 25 dollars too if paid within 30 days..
I love how the system is set up to give those who are possibly innocent incentive to plead guilty.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 AM   #13
RS Peace Officer

Funny, I thought it was set up to give those who are guilty and will admit it a possible incentive to plead guilty & get $25 off to clear court space. If you were innocent why would you plead guilty? Would you voluntarily pay for a parking ticket just to get a discount if your car was not even there at the time? How badly do you want a discount? Sounds like you have been spending too much time watching Richard on the Shopping Channel. "Today's Show Stopper is $25 off your VT...and in just 20 easy pays of $6.95"....
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Sebberry never ceases to amaze...
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Funny, I thought it was set up to give those who are guilty and will admit it a possible incentive to plead guilty & get $25 off to clear court space.
Shouldn't the penalty commensurate with severity? All of a sudden, the offence is less severe if you plead guilty sooner?

Perhaps the accused is having financial difficulties and taking a morning off work to fight a ticket combined with the financial incentive to pay early is enough to discourage fighting the ticket in court?

I'm sure you've come across many people who don't care about what their driving record looks like and are more concerned with the fine than their record.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
RS Peace Officer

OK Spidey, either you or I will place a call to the Govt & demand they immediatley stop discounting tickets. Damn this giving people a break stuff!!! That should keep him happy.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Shouldn't the penalty commensurate with severity? All of a sudden, the offence is less severe if you plead guilty sooner?

Perhaps the accused is having financial difficulties and taking a morning off work to fight a ticket combined with the financial incentive to pay early is enough to discourage fighting the ticket in court?

I'm sure you've come across many people who don't care about what their driving record looks like and are more concerned with the fine than their record.
The fine is less severe, not the offense. Think of it as getting a discount on the administrative costs associated with the fine, not the fine itself.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Whatever the heck it is, please let's go back on topic.

OP: Just request an adjournment. I've done it before, but i actually provided them proof (tickets, letters, transcripts, etc). And I was allowed to adjourn. I had another one like...12 years ago that I needed to adjourn because I was working shift work and they wouldn't give me the time off. I got denied on that one. It's really 50/50. But hey, you never know unless you try right? BTW - adjournment may cost you a bit of $$, if I remember correctly.

And FYI everyone, to adjourn isn't to escape it. Just postpone it. Considering I've had a bit of experience in traffic court when I was younger, even if OP needed more time to pay, he/she could always request a time extension from the judge, whom are usually lenient about it to an extent.

PS: I AM thankful that we have a system that allows us to dispute, for I have been issued VTs that were without warrant or just cause (80km/h in a 50 zone when I was actually going 35-40 cuz I just pulled away from a stop sign lol)
Although I DO think most PO's are just and fair, there ARE a few that are out of line or just out to get ppl based on stereotype.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: