REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Backing into driveway (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697045-backing-into-driveway.html)

girlcrazy_420 07-27-2014 04:17 PM

Backing into driveway

I back into my driveway every night because backing out onto the road with traffic and a sidewalk around a corner on a main artery I find quite tricky. The issue I am having, even using a signal or 4 way flashers if people have to race around me (quite often they have there passenger wheels on the sidewalk) while I am backing up. Sometimes I see them, sometimes I dont. Its not like I'm taking up the entire road, but just enough space for me to use my mirrors to back in. If I where to reverse into the side of someones vehicle, who would be at fault? I feel that I would be at fault for not looking where I am going, but the vehicle passing is "passing on the right" I tried my best to drawa diagram on paint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps7d9cddfd.jpg

Teriyaki 07-27-2014 04:25 PM

I feel like this is just a question of car positioning. Why do you need to be perpendicular to the spot to back in? You don't need to position your car like that to back into stall parking spots right?, no reason you'd need enough space for a whole car to go through behind you while backing up. Stay on the right lane and no one will drive "behind" you.

Gucci Mane 07-27-2014 04:34 PM

LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.

320icar 07-27-2014 04:46 PM

It would be the fault of the car passing. You are parking and traffic behind should yield. If they pass behind you and on the right due to impatience, a good ICBC adjuster should blame them

girlcrazy_420 07-27-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teriyaki (Post 8508734)
I feel like this is just a question of car positioning. Why do you need to be perpendicular to the spot to back in? You don't need to position your car like that to back into stall parking spots right?, no reason you'd need enough space for a whole car to go through behind you while backing up. Stay on the right lane and no one will drive "behind" you.

I agree with what you are saying about positioning, but with a longer vehicle this is not always practical. With a car I could understand, but I drive quite a large truck. I am only doing what I feel is practical. I have searched ICBCs website and I could not find anything regarding reversing into a driveway

tiger_handheld 07-27-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_KB (Post 8508739)
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.

wtf?

SSM_DC5 07-27-2014 06:14 PM

In the books that teaches driving, I found this in the section regarding reverse stall parking, which I think would be applicable to driveways as well.
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing..._drivers_8.pdf

In page 51, it says "Make sure you’re in a position where other vehicles can’t move in behind you when you’re backing into the stall."

I'd suggest you follow that to avoid any complications if an accident did occur because in the end ICBC will win and you'll be put in a position where you may be at fault.

and this is a bit off topic, but I found this in the book as well
"When parking in a stall, it’s usually safest to back in so you won’t have to back out. Better still, if there are two empty facing stalls with no barrier between them, drive through one into the next so your vehicle is facing forward."
Source: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...s/drivers4.pdf on page 58
This is surprising to me because I was taught in driving school that doing this is dangerous as someone can pull forward into the stall as you're driving through.

Inaii 07-27-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8508768)
wtf?

His signature

Alby 07-27-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8508776)
In the books that teaches driving, I found this in the section regarding reverse stall parking, which I think would be applicable to driveways as well.
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing..._drivers_8.pdf

In page 51, it says "Make sure you’re in a position where other vehicles can’t move in behind you when you’re backing into the stall."

I'd suggest you follow that to avoid any complications if an accident did occur because in the end ICBC will win and you'll be put in a position where you may be at fault.

and this is a bit off topic, but I found this in the book as well
"When parking in a stall, it’s usually safest to back in so you won’t have to back out. Better still, if there are two empty facing stalls with no barrier between them, drive through one into the next so your vehicle is facing forward."
Source: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...s/drivers4.pdf on page 58
This is surprising to me because I was taught in driving school that doing this is dangerous as someone can pull forward into the stall as you're driving through.

wouldn't that create a more dangerous situation? the OP would have to stick on the right lane and then stick their car nose into the left lane to block both lanes before backing in. and with traffic flowing, who knows who is going to pull a fast one to switch lanes when the OP starts to pull their nose to the left lane.

SSM_DC5 07-27-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 8508781)
wouldn't that create a more dangerous situation? the OP would have to stick on the right lane and then stick their car nose into the left lane to block both lanes before backing in. and with traffic flowing, who knows who is going to pull a fast one to switch lanes when the OP starts to pull their nose to the left lane.

It's not very clear if there are lanes on her street, but either way, she is already occupying the left side of the road before backing up into the driveway, so no I do not think it's more dangerous.

The problem is that she has a hard time seeing behind her, so from what ICBC has suggested, it stops the opportunity for people to sneak behind her. If she's got a problem with seeing in front of her too, then she's on her own there.....:concentrate:

I think you're imagining that ICBC's suggestion is for her to start perpendicular to the driveway, which is not necessary. From her picture, she pulls left to be parallel with the driveway, then backs up. By incorporating what ICBC says, she can either still pull left and go parallel or go 45 degrees, as long as she doesn't give someone enough room to sneak behind her. I hope that makes sense.

girlcrazy_420 07-27-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8508785)
It's not very clear if there are lanes on her street,

The problem is that she has a hard time seeing behind her, so from what ICBC has suggested, it stops the opportunity for people to sneak behind her. If she's got a problem with seeing in front of her too, then she's on her own there.....:concentrate:

I think you're imagining that ICBC's suggestion is for her to start perpendicular to the driveway, which is not necessary. From her picture, she pulls left to be parallel with the driveway, then backs up. By incorporating what ICBC says, she can either still pull left and go parallel or go 45 degrees, as long as she doesn't give someone enough room to sneak behind her. I hope that makes sense.

No, there are no lines on the road. Residential neighborhood, but its quite busy. Regarding seeing behind me, reversing how the icbc diagram shows than I would be reversing in "blind side" therefor I am not able to see what is behind the driver-side rear bumper. If I drive strait back, I know exactly what is behind me. I think icbc should have re-thought this and showed the person backing in from driver-side. I drive a rig with a 53ft trailer, if you ever have the chance please try and reverse into a stall with a trailer from both left and right and tell me which is easier. On a side note: The other reason I back (as my diagram) is my turning radius. With a long wheelbase i am unable to turn as sharp.

zulutango 07-28-2014 04:50 AM

If you passed your road test since they started the GLP system you would have had to do a rear stall park. That involves driving about a car width away from the end of the stall and about a length past the space, then reversing into it. If you are backing a rig with a 53 foot trailer then the reality of the situation is that you need someone to stop traffic while you back into the space, if you are having problems. Is there somewhere else where you could parallel park instead?

The traffic law situation would be probably a case of "reverse when unsafe" for you and "unsafe pass on right" for the other driver. They can only pass on the right if you are turning left to leave the road...and you are not. BTW, if you had told us in your first post what you were backing, the replies others posted here would have been more helpful.

girlcrazy_420 08-11-2014 04:25 PM

this is what I am backing up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps8498e338.jpg

sebberry 08-11-2014 09:52 PM

^ Plus a 53 foot trailer.

Just be sure to check for suntanners in the driveway:

Girl Sunbathing In Driveway Killed After Sister Backs Over Her Head

Quote:

Girl Sunbathing In Driveway Killed After Sister Backs Over Her Head

A teen sunbathing in her driveway last week suffered fatal injuries when her sister accidentally drove over her head.

Marli Hamblin, 15, was wearing headphones and listening to music Friday while lying on a blanket in the driveway of her home in Syracuse, Utah, Fox 13 reported. At around noon, Hamblin’s older sister backed out of the garage in a truck and, not realizing her sister was there, backed over the girl's head.

[...]

inv4zn 08-11-2014 10:09 PM

^Good Lord, that actually made me feel a little sick...and not a lot does that.

But screw you for ruining my night with completely irrelevant and terrible news.

nsx042003 08-12-2014 08:13 AM

umm...back in like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps85c6dc28.png

steveo1115 08-12-2014 01:22 PM

Yes that would be ok but what I think they are trying to say is stay to the right and as you go past the drive way pull out to a 45 with the back tires still close to the curb (without room to pass behind.) if you signal that your parking you should be able to do the other 45 degrees in reverse and if they try to pass on the left (you left no room on the right) they were making a unsafe pass. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

murd0c 08-12-2014 03:44 PM

some years ago I was backing into my driveway and some idiot in a civic drove right into my tire. (33" mud tires on my truck) he had some scratches and I bitches at him for not paying attention and he drove off. I called ICBC because I was worried that he would report me and I would be at fault, ICBC told me since I was changing the direction of traffic that I'm 100% at fault. Thankfully he didn't report it but in the future if you get hit it's all your fault so be careful.

SoNaRWaVe 08-12-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx042003 (Post 8515596)

i think his truck is a bit too long to back in like that. i think he needs to swing a bit to the left to angle the truck, then back in. but not necessarily needing it to be perpendicular.

Ferra 08-14-2014 08:36 AM

really don't see how this is a problem...
http://i60.tinypic.com/hs505d.jpg

if the truck is too long or spot is too tight, just do it baby step (i.e. move forward a few feet, back in a few feet each time...just don't leave enough space for cars to pass behind you. I do that in parking lot when I get the feeling the driver behind me is an ass)

yes it is more cumbersome than going further up and backing it in one shot...but it will be much safer and might cost you less time since you won't have to wait for cars to pass behind your back.

and if you back into someone while they are trying to pass behind you, I am going to bet you will be found at least 50% at fault.
Probably 100%, but either way you wouldn't want that

underscore 08-14-2014 08:56 AM

Yeah I'd try swinging the front end out only 45 degrees while trying to keep the rear tires near the curb. It might take a little practice with someone spotting for you to get the hang of it, or you might wanna add one of those big convex mirrors to your driveway to help you see obstacles.

zulutango 08-14-2014 03:46 PM

And now.....the youtube solution.........:woot2:

zulutango 08-14-2014 07:31 PM

You could refer to my post #12, seeing as I now teach people to do this thing to pass their road test. I do have some background in this area.:devil: