REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
/DRIVE youtube channel is changing

/DRIVE has been one of my favorite youtube related car channels for a long time. The strugles of providing quality content and trying to make money is hurting it seems.

This article explains why;

Pay per view: PH Blog - PistonHeads

Going forward they will have 3 ways to watch their content. They've released a short video explaining it which can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/DRIVEplus

I know there are a lot of /DRIVE fans here so what do you guys think about this $3.99/month subscription model. I'd really like to have a 'schedule' of what's going to be coming out when and how long they plan to run a season.

If they release a lot of content $3.99 is nothing but this really hurts fans in countries where they can't sub like Brazil, Germany, etc.
Advertisement
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
I only watch Chris Harris

He's back btw,

swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #3

Going forward I believe a full video of his, which would varry from 10-30 minutes in length, would be condensed down to 3-4 minutes on the FREE method of viewing.

You would have to subscribe for the full blown Chris Harris experience.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Or wait for someone to inevitably re-up it to a non subscription channel lol
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Sorry I'm not paying $3.99/month for a YouTube channel.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
didn't Drive expand to NBC Sports?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

So much fail @ Drive

Here is what you need.

1. Driver/ Reviewer
2. Director/ Cinematographer
3. Production Editor
4. Couple interns to deal with audio and set up
5. Up to Date Gear

Apparently, they had to put their own dime to reviews cars around the world. These guys are not even good businessmen, who in their right mind to put themselves in hotels to review million dollar cars from billion dollar manufactures. God, Drive = Stupidity

Last edited by FS1992EG; 07-30-2014 at 05:27 PM.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
So much fail @ Drive

Here is what you need.

1. Driver/ Reviewer
2. Director/ Cinematographer
3. Production Editor
4. Couple interns to deal with audio and set up
5. Up to Date Gear

Apparently, they had to put their own dime to reviews cars around the world. These guys are not even good businessmen, who in their right mind to put themselves in hotels to review million dollar cars from billion dollar manufactures. God, Drive = Stupidity
Is that all?

You do realize how much all that would cost, no? I'm sure you could find a reviewer/driver who would be willing to do that stuff for free, provided room and board is paid for. However, "up to date gear" (including sound equipment, camera gear, proper audio and video editing computer and software) can easily run you $100,000+. I have a ton of low end gear (prosumer video camera that cost me $5k, $2k in lenses, a Sennheiser lavalier set that ran about $500 for two mic's and a receiver, an editing computer that has $1500 in upgrades [plus the cost of Adobe Premiere Pro], plus filters, lighting equipment, stands, cables, etc., etc., etc.). Good equipment costs 50x as much as my stuff. Those cameras they use on Top Gear? You're looking at $150,000 for EACH camera. And that is just for the body. Lenses come separate.

And then you have to consider how much a decent Director, Director of Photography, Camera Operator, Sound Engineer, Video Editor and the rest of the crew will cost. Even below local union wages, you're looking at easily $3000 for a day's worth of crew costs.

Not to mention insurance costs for the vehicle and whatever venue they're shooting in.

I don't agree with the way YouTube is going about charging for certain channels, but the guys at /Drive certainly do have an absolutely valid case for charging for views. Video production costs a ton of money.

Edit: BTW, even reviewers like Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Top Gear and the like will occasionally have to pay a company/owner in order to drive a car. They aren't always given cars for free to drive.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Is that all?

You do realize how much all that would cost, no? I'm sure you could find a reviewer/driver who would be willing to do that stuff for free, provided room and board is paid for. However, "up to date gear" (including sound equipment, camera gear, proper audio and video editing computer and software) can easily run you $100,000+. I have a ton of low end gear (prosumer video camera that cost me $5k, $2k in lenses, a Sennheiser lavalier set that ran about $500 for two mic's and a receiver, an editing computer that has $1500 in upgrades [plus the cost of Adobe Premiere Pro], plus filters, lighting equipment, stands, cables, etc., etc., etc.). Good equipment costs 50x as much as my stuff. Those cameras they use on Top Gear? You're looking at $150,000 for EACH camera. And that is just for the body. Lenses come separate.

And then you have to consider how much a decent Director, Director of Photography, Camera Operator, Sound Engineer, Video Editor and the rest of the crew will cost. Even below local union wages, you're looking at easily $3000 for a day's worth of crew costs.

Not to mention insurance costs for the vehicle and whatever venue they're shooting in.

I don't agree with the way YouTube is going about charging for certain channels, but the guys at /Drive certainly do have an absolutely valid case for charging for views. Video production costs a ton of money.
If DRIVE is that good, why wouldn't a network pick them up and finance a tv show out of this.

Most youtubers made it without cooperate monetary backing or a large amount of start up money.

Last edited by FS1992EG; 07-30-2014 at 11:09 PM.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Honestly? As long as it stays at 4 bucks a month i'm not too against it... I think i can pay less than the price of a frappunchino a month for awesome content about awesome cars...
Maybe i'm just gullible though.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
If DRIVE is that good, why wouldn't a network pick them up and finance a tv show out of this.

Most youtubers made it without cooperate monetary backing or a large amount of start up money.
/Drive already had a two year contract with money from Youtube financing their previous films. That deal is now done and they're looking for new ways to fund their videos. Corporate backing is great and all, but more often than not, they company paying you will inevitably ask for advertising (see The Smoking Tire or Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee) that tends to take away from the overall experience. I imagine that's what they're trying to avoid here. And them being picked up by NBC is great and all, but often for a relatively unknown (read: new) show on TV, the freedom they're given is often extremely lacking.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Honestly? As long as it stays at 4 bucks a month i'm not too against it... I think i can pay less than the price of a frappunchino a month for awesome content about awesome cars...
Maybe i'm just gullible though.
I probably wont bother, as I never really watch many car reviews, but shit, 4 bucks.....Its really not much to complain about. That wouldn't even pay for the pint I had after work, and that was only like 12 minutes of entertainment.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
The pricing is ridiculous.

$4 is half of what Netflix charges per month.

$10 per season of Chris Harris is reasonable. I don't understand how they could think that people are willing to pay upwards of $50 per year to watch an hours worth entertainment.

It's a shame they've had to do this. I loved watching all of Chris' videos and he's been the only person to come close to truly rival TG. They could have made more money by asking for donations.

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Ridiculous? 1 zone bus to and from work is is $5.50 a day, its all perspective.

They put up 900 videos last year.

Instead of bitching about the price why not support something you enjoy? Vote with your money and prove that this kind of content is what you want to see. Or get a starbucks coffee and drive an extra 5 mins a day....

Rich
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #15

Some have said that this is like when we used to sub to a car magazine and get content once a month.

Now instead of pretty pictures we're getting great quality video somewhat daily.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Some have said that this is like when we used to sub to a car magazine and get content once a month.

Now instead of pretty pictures we're getting great quality video somewhat daily.
I can't be the only one here that used to subscribe to car magazines back in the day. Paying for stuff used to be the norm. The problem most people have is that they expect top notch production quality, all the while feeling like they're not obligated to pay for it.

Film is expensive. I know; I used to work in the industry. Could they get away with using only GoPro's and cheap dSLR's? Yes, but the quality suffers and it's instantly noticeable, and then people will start bitching about that instead.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I can't be the only one here that used to subscribe to car magazines back in the day. Paying for stuff used to be the norm. The problem most people have is that they expect top notch production quality, all the while feeling like they're not obligated to pay for it.

Film is expensive. I know; I used to work in the industry. Could they get away with using only GoPro's and cheap dSLR's? Yes, but the quality suffers and it's instantly noticeable, and then people will start bitching about that instead.
This describes it perfectly, There is a huge demographic of young tech savvy people that don't feel they have to pay for convenience anymore. Back when the Iphone 4s came out almost every big name newspaper had an app for their company hence the decline in print media. Apps are free and convenient.

I can understand why people don't want to pay for something that was always free. But I can see them taking a new approach.

We call it "Freemium". Basically give the user a chance to look at a 1 minute clip of every episode so he/she can decide if they wish to pay for a subscription. This 14 day trial is bullshit cause what if next month they release a video you're really into but wait your 14 day trial is over. Candy Crush is a good example of freemium. it's a free app with in app purchase's of hearts/lives. You can play whenever but the app has borders which you can bypass with an in app purchase.

I don't believe in subscription based services. I'm part of a huge group, that's currently growing, that wants to pay for what they need and nothing more. In some cases it makes sense, like Netflix, but Youtube is a terrible place to implement it. You start by paying drive at 4$ then next thing you know your make up tutorials is now 4$ and on and on. An average user of youtube watches at least 4 youtubers that they come back for daily. so 16$ a month and then there is those odd videos where you watch like once a month but then you would have to pay2subscribe.

YouTube won't stay free forever. Sooner or later it'll be so unfiltered that they'll charge youtubers for space on their website(which they already somewhat are) and from there youtubers would charge subscribers. It's a big ecosystem filled with advertisements and endorsements.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMme View Post
Sorry I'm not paying $3.99/month for a YouTube channel.
Quote:
SRT 10
63 AMG
just put that in perspective of the gas milage of your cars
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #19
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I agree with youtube not staying free forever because a lot of content providers will be inching towards pay per use down the road. The misconception is a lot of content providers can make tons of money just on ad's generated from views/subscribers, this isn't entirely true. High end content is very expensive to produce and people need to get paid. I would be interested to know what sort of deal /drive made with NBC.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote