REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
tire noise issue

my car was making this clicking noise and I think I found the issue but i'm not sure...There are these "tiles" on my driver side wheel , I presume these are weights for balancing.

There is a piece of plastic ,kind of like a protective wrapping on top. If I rip off the plastic will it cause the tiles to fall off?

One edge of the protective plastic is peeling off and I think the wind catches that part of the plastic and causes a "clicking" noise... similar to holding a stick on a bike wheel spokes.. I'm hesitant to rip it off and see if it fixes in case that piece of plastic is what's holding the "tiles"

Any tips?

I could try put some tape on it to see if fixes, but is there a more permanent solution?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
I don't get it

are you sure it's not a rock or something stuck onto your tire?
NSXRboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

post a pic of your wheel?
[02-07, 18:27] Jasonturbo: Fuckin RS, full of broke ass surrians, you guys are such downers

[07-07, 23:21] Inaii: I had some really shitty chinese tires on my fb... thing squealed like a chick getting fucked up the ass for the first time every time

[10-01, 23:38] jinxcrusader: should've stuck with stubbz in the back
Mr.Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
straight from the fields of squamton

None of that makes any sense at all.
Nothing on your wheel should have protective plastic on it.
Unless you have a hubcap, nothing on your wheel should have plastic on it.

when you say tile, it sounds like a stick on weight that would be inside your alloy wheel (as apposed to a hammer on weight commonly found on steel wheels, or the inside of some alloy wheels.)

At this point, we'll need to see a picture of what you see that might be making this clicking sound, otherwise it may be time to take the car into a reputable shop for diagnosis.

I don't recommend cam clark in north vancouver, unless you have any vehicle other than a V6 mustang, they have trouble with those apperently.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

clicking noise sounds like a rock stuck in the tread of the tire, happens all the time for me.

Like 1990TSI said, the "tiles" are stick on weights. the protecting wrapping you are talking about shouldn't help stick the weights on the wheel, there is usually double sided tape on the bottom. And it takes a lot more than a piece of plastic to make a clicking noise.

Try checking all four tires for rocks or debris and see if the noise goes away.
MaaaadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

+1 for the rocks stuck in tire suggestions. Happens to me all the time which drives me nuts.
stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I believe they are stick on weights. The tiles have numbers on them.

I don't believe it's a rock because when I move the "plastic" it makes a similar noise.

I will take a pic later this afternoon.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote