REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Because social media.
+1.

She is very well known within not only SFU but a ton of other local communities/associations. I only met her randomly through school but found she knew a ton of my mutual friends. Given that most of them/us are so adept with social media, it's no surprise it's gained so much traction.

Coincidentally she works and is quite involved in the local PR/communications/digital marketing realm.
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #27
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I didn't know anything about this until I saw Ronin post it on facebook. I hope she has a speedy recovery. Question though, if you spot the car in question do you call non-emerg or 911? 911 right since it's an open case and the driver fled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #28
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
I didn't know anything about this until I saw Ronin post it on facebook. I hope she has a speedy recovery. Question though, if you spot the car in question do you call non-emerg or 911? 911 right since it's an open case and the driver fled?
Police are asking anyone with information to call the VPD Collision Investigation Unit at 604-717-3012 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

According to article...
Old 08-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Police are asking anyone with information to call the VPD Collision Investigation Unit at 604-717-3012 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

According to article...
Thanks missed that. I skimmed the article.

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
hope the best for her.

but i just need to know...why does everyone care so damn much about this? this happens all the time and nobody else sets up a donation for medical bills for that person. ive actually never even heard of this girl before so really ive no emotional attachment to her/this scenario. i see person after person on my facebook feed posting this saying "lets help her" or "shes the best" etc etc, yet not a single one of them are friends with her (or so their friends list says).
because she is popular. lots of people know her. she is super extroverted (in the smart way) and well known in whatever community she decides to partake in.

that being said, i know people that have been permanently disabled and yes, the government shines when you see what these people get, and how the government really takes care of them.... that being said again... there are a lot of costs that will come out of your own pocket when you're disabled. Beginning to explain how different a disabled person's life is, their needs and requirements to just "get by the day" ...is futile when the person listening isn't disabled or hasnt worked with disabled people themselves. there's lots of small obstacles that cost money and it all adds up.

The optimistic side of me hopes for a speedy recover, but the realistic and naturally pessimistic side of me knows that if she's in a medically induced coma... they probably loaded her up with barbs to do surgery on her head.

I think there's a pretty good chance she'll never be normal again. of course i don't really know any details other than she has critical head injuries and is in a medically induced coma (and what a medically induced coma pertains to).
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
I think there's a pretty good chance she'll never be normal again. of course i don't really know any details other than she has critical head injuries and is in a medically induced coma (and what a medically induced coma pertains to).

In that case, I'm going for an open craniotomy at the end of sept to remove my right anterior temporal lobe and it will result in me having visual memory loss.

If someone could set up a charity for me that would be great. I'm not well known among 18-twenty-sonething year olds, but 75% of city workers in Burnaby know me, people from telus, kinder morgan, shaw, she'll, chevron, and other companies I have to deal with on a daily basis.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #32
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Yup, I feel bad for her family and friends. When she is out of the coma, what's going to happen to her? Amnesia, vegetable, the list goes on. The sad part is that due to all this social media coverage, you know the black Civic owner is hiding and repairing the damage right now.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #33
nma
#RVG

Quote:
In that case, I'm going for an open craniotomy at the end of sept to remove my right anterior temporal lobe and it will result in me having visual memory loss.

If someone could set up a charity for me that would be great. I'm not well known among 18-twenty-sonething year olds, but 75% of city workers in Burnaby know me, people from telus, kinder morgan, shaw, she'll, chevron, and other companies I have to deal with on a daily basis.
I can see why you feel this way, but seriously, she just got smoked by a car... She never asked for this to happen, and her friends are simply reaching out and trying to support her both emotionally and physically. If your friends were to set up a charity for you, then so be it.. If you want to set one up for your self, go ahead. I don't think there's anything wrong with what's going on. People are free to feel however they want. If they feel bad for her but don't give a shit about anyone else that's completely fine... Free world.

People often respond WAY more to things that happen to those that are somehow "connected" to them. I know people who only know her through others, and were really sad when they heard about the news. However, they had a much more mild reaction to a plane coming down and killing 300 people. I don't personally agree with that but it seems like that's just the way people are.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
this might sound blunt but no one's stopping you from setting up a kickstarter/indiegogo account

I feel these sympathy/empathy crowdsourcing is more successful when it's a sudden onset....ie someone lost their house in a fire, a hit-n-run incident etc vs something you've lived with the majority of your life.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #35
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
well looks like vancitybuzz has posted her donation page. up to $20k in donations
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #36
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
hope the best for her.

but i just need to know...why does everyone care so damn much about this? this happens all the time and nobody else sets up a donation for medical bills for that person. ive actually never even heard of this girl before so really ive no emotional attachment to her/this scenario. i see person after person on my facebook feed posting this saying "lets help her" or "shes the best" etc etc, yet not a single one of them are friends with her (or so their friends list says).

She's well-networked. She was already setting up these events and galas while she was in high school and I'm sure she did more networking while at SFU. Whenever I am in some sort of event or fund raiser, I would not be surprised if I find out if she was an organizer.

Anyways, my group of friends are friends with her and she really is that type of person with lots of positive energy. Maybe that's why folks are more than willing to help her out.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Should set up a kickstarter for the family of that del sol driver.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #38
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:

That blows but honestly, no one is stopping anyone that knows you from doing the exact same thing.

She just happens to work in a very social media and tech orientated crowd and is well networked. I'm going to guess most of the people that you work with don't know what "the Twitter" is. Maybe one of them will have a bake sale for you.

Not hating. Just telling you the difference.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Should set up a kickstarter for the family of that del sol driver.
think vancitybuzz will post it on their FB page? they've set precedent for this after all...
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #40
I keep RS good

Quote:

if you want to, im sure people you know and people of RS will donate.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #41
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:

Let's just make the wild hypothesis that this individual did enough good and positively influenced others that she deserves this. Because dwelling on the whole "why her, not me" bit will just eat you up and not contribute to anything.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #42
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
This maybe a stupid question but lets say I was behind this civic and saw the whole thing, should I stop and tend/see the victim or follow that civic and just keeping my distance to let the cops know the exact location/direction of the car??
Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #43
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
That blows but honestly, no one is stopping anyone that knows you from doing the exact same thing.

She just happens to work in a very social media and tech orientated crowd and is well networked. I'm going to guess most of the people that you work with don't know what "the Twitter" is. Maybe one of them will have a bake sale for you.

Not hating. Just telling you the difference.
It's summer right now, so maybe they can open a few lemonade stands
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #44
I keep RS good

Quote:
This maybe a stupid question but lets say I was behind this civic and saw the whole thing, should I stop and tend/see the victim or follow that civic and just keeping my distance to let the cops know the exact location/direction of the car??
the answer is obvious.

you would call the cops and follow the civic and try to get a licence plate.

what are u gonna do to help the victim? you a doctor? you a paramedic? you have the proper equipment? paramedics are coming anyway. but the civic is getting away every second you hesitate to follow it.

the damage has already been done, nothing you can do to lessen the physical harm done unless they were literally bleeding out and you knew how to stop the blood.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #45

Quote:
If other people stopped I would say follow the car.

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #46

I would stop after making sure I got the plate #. That's all you really need to report and authorities can take it from there.

I am doubtful the 911 operator will tell you to continue chase the car.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #47
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Her sister confirmed that she's now in stable condition
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #48
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Quote:
the answer is obvious.

what are u gonna do to help the victim? you a doctor? you a paramedic? you have the proper equipment?
Every high school kid learns first aid.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
I would stop after making sure I got the plate #. That's all you really need to report and authorities can take it from there.

I am doubtful the 911 operator will tell you to continue chase the car.
Any time I've called in about someone who was weaving all over the place and nearly hitting other cars, they've asked me to follow them.

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 08-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #50

seriously? haha.

i stand corrected then. free ticket to weave!
This post thanked by: