REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Difficulty Finding Jr/1 Bedroom Condo Rentals

im looking for a studio/1 bdrm in metrotown

i have tried kijiji, craigslist, padmapper
budget is $1K or less for everything (utilities/parking/Internet)
mostly found older apartments, lots of room shares and basement suites but nothing for condo/high rises (would like gated underground parking)

what am i doing wrong? I dont feel like the budgeting is off. Would I have better luck going around each high rise and get in touch with their leasing contact?
Advertisement
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
You're doing your budgeting wrong. It literally took my about 20 seconds on craigslist to determine that. Make more money or find somewhere else you would like to live, sorry to be blunt but it's pretty easy to see.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

weird i tried playing around by setting the search to yield max 1500 and 2000

yeah i see it now thanks. looks like i'm under by a few hundred...I initially set budget based on the CMHC rental report and other figures online but wasn't sure how much to adjust for private condominums
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/odpub/esu...7_2013_B02.pdf

now i should probably look into investing in kungshoes.com
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Ya that CMHC thing is a nice little report that somebody got paid a bunch of money to put out... Best thing to do is look directly at the market. For what you want, with ALL utilities included, looks like you'll be around the 1500 mark. That being said, you could pay for your own utlities and maybe be around the 1300 mark if you got lucky. That's all speculation from my 30 second craigslist search though haha.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

sorry for all the noob yet detailed questions about highrise living...most of which seem more appropriate for owners not renters:

are there certain strata groups I should try to avoid?

any additional fees tenants have to worry about besides the usual hydro bill?

if a unit is facing the skytrain station and less than a block away... what's a good level where train noise won't be as bad? 20+?

should I worry about the 6" thin concrete walls in all the new condos in the event of a earthquake? or look for condos that are 10+ years? the media's been critcizing the current build code as there's no review regarding seismic activity until this year. As a renter i won't be so worried about leaks
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
this other thread might have some answers

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69587...sed-condo.html

as for the skytrain or avoiding certain groups...may be others can chime-in.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

High rises are nice but many only have 2 elevators. I would hate to wait 5 minutes to get up and down during peak hours.

I'm living in a newer high rise in Downtown. My advice is don't do it unless you are sharing rent with your gf or wife. Assuming rent is $1500 you will be spending half your pay check if you make $60k salary.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

thanks for linking that thread
good point about the elevators, will keep it in mind.

okay this seems like a very basic rental question, I'm having a hard time estimating how much hydro bill will be. Obviously it comes down to insulation and consumption, but the figures ive seen widely varies.

What ballpark am i'm looking for someone living in studio conservatively? (turning everything off when not home, heat at room temp, no in-suite laundry/dishwasher)?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ Yea lot's of older apartments are built with only 2 elevators. Newer ones will have 3. I think the rate to rent a 1bd around metro area is around $1000 to $1200 depending on how big, how close is to the mall and how old the apartment.

There should be some new apartments that's just finish or about to be finish. Maybe try renting those if you want newer apartments. Honestly though I think the rental price around that area might drop a little bit in the next years so many apartments being built there.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

My 500 sq ft unit, electric heating and gas stove = $15-$20 electricity a month for two. Gas is included in rent.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Director of RS Cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
sorry for all the noob yet detailed questions about highrise living...most of which seem more appropriate for owners not renters:

are there certain strata groups I should try to avoid?

any additional fees tenants have to worry about besides the usual hydro bill?

if a unit is facing the skytrain station and less than a block away... what's a good level where train noise won't be as bad? 20+?

should I worry about the 6" thin concrete walls in all the new condos in the event of a earthquake? or look for condos that are 10+ years? the media's been critcizing the current build code as there's no review regarding seismic activity until this year. As a renter i won't be so worried about leaks
If you want metro area and in a newer building, with underground parking you're looking at approx. $1200-1350 for a 1 bedroom. Burnaby rent has increased the past year or 2, still lower than DT but getting there.

Any strata company will have their pros and cons. But bigger names are usually the likes of Baywest, Crosby/Vancouver Condo= First Service Residential, Rancho Management, etc. Realistically, as a tenant you won't really be dealing with the management company anyways as they deal directly with the owner (or owners management company if they are using one).

Additional fees: tenants pays for their own hydro (electricity) and utilities (tv, phone, internet) etc. Unless the landlord has made special arrangements to include more but usually not the case.

As for skytrain noise. I'd say when you're in the 20+, it becomes white noise honestly. But to some, it could be the end all be all. Noise sensitivity is really up to the person, what bothers me might not bother you (and vice versa). I'd suggest really taking the time to see how it impacts you during your showing with the landlord/management rep.

I always find it funny when people question about concrete buildings being earthquake proof or leak proof. In the event of a major natural disaster (say a major earthquake), anything at that point is gonna fail regardless of how great of the build. However, will the building collapse over a small rock of the earth (like the one we had a month or 2 ago off from the Island)????

No, definitely not.

Developers have to build to city codes and bylaws. All concrete buildings require rainscreening nowadays and a warranty for 5 years. Structurally they have up to 10 years. So to sum up your question, NO you shouldn't worry.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
sorry to be late, but i rent a 650sq ft apartment. gated parking. 15th floor. you pay for your own utilities. $1350.

i live right across from gilmore. skytrain noise isn't really that loud if you have your patio door and windows closed but even with it open, i don't find it too bad.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote