REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #51
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post

The other thing is if Russia is saying they picked up a military plane leveling off to the airliner before it crashed, why doesnt the U.S. just release their satellite photos showing the sky was clear...

Skimming through the theories I'd say the mystery military jet rocketed the airliner then shot the cabin with bullets to disable the pilots and have it crash right over a pocket of ground for infiltrating into the Russian freedom fighters bases when recovery EU personal demand to section off the crash site.

The military jet being spotted next to the civilian could also double work for the excuse of new Ukrainian soldiers shooting the civilian one down.
Or, and this is just a thought, Russia could release that information and basically discredit the USA and Europe in one swoop...
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #52
I subscribe to Revscene

what if Russia wants to drag this out and discredit them later.... also using the excuse to cut international trade threatening the Dollar.

So you think the intelligence services in the US could be mistaken?
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #53
Head Moderator

Shrapnel damage:

Looks like bullet holes, doesn't it?

Except - and here's the kicker - it's not.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #54
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
I'd say the mystery military jet rocketed the airliner then shot the cabin with bullets to disable the pilots
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #55
I subscribe to Revscene

@Lomac
You missed my question, apparently the Germans are saying the same thing.
Germans Say MH17 Shot Down by Ukie Migs | Veterans Today

Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #56
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
I'd say the mystery military jet rocketed the airliner then shot the cabin with bullets to disable the pilots.
You know, because, firing at missile at a commercial airliner with absolutely no defence/evasion/countermeasure mechanisms takes more than 1 go to disable it completely.

It totally requires another approach just to off the pilots in the cabin instead of, you know, shooting out the engines.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #57
I subscribe to Revscene

What if the missile only hit one engine, then it may be able to glide for sometime... deep and near the Russian boarder... away from an infiltration point where the crash scene can be taken over.
How far was this crash from the Ukrainian government enemy line? I dont know... looks like Im the only one trying to piece something together outside the propaganda sources.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #58
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
What if the missile only hit one engine, then it may be able to glide for sometime... deep and near the Russian boarder... away from an infiltration point where the crash scene can be taken over.
How far was this crash from the Ukrainian government enemy line? I dont know... looks like Im the only one trying to piece something together outside the propaganda sources.
Quote:
Skimming through the theories I'd say the mystery military jet rocketed the airliner then shot the cabin with bullets to disable the pilots
What? WHAT?

Go home, CiC. You're drunk...and have watched Top Gun too many times. Stop it.

...yes, you can still watch the volleyball scene.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #59
Head Moderator

Quote:
@Lomac
You missed my question, apparently a German [is] saying the same thing.
Germans Say MH17 Shot Down by Ukie Migs | Veterans Today
Fixed that for you.

Quote:
Okay, I'll humour this.

The Ukraine only has one fighter jet in service that has both a 30mm cannon and air-to-air missiles, the Russian built SU-25. The problem is that the R-60 AA missile contains a proximity warhead. The warhead is also a fragmentation, high explosive unit. These don't explode upon contact; they detonate within a preset distance of their target. The third thing is that they use semi-active homing radar detection.

This is also very similar to how the land based Buk SAM units work. The typical missile in these use semi-active homing radar and are armed with proximity fragmentation warheads.

FYI, most semi-active homing systems work on an intercept path, not a chase route.

So, whether MH17 was hit by a missile by an SU-25 or a Buk missile, it's going to display extremely similar body damage. You know, those "bullet holes" near the cockpit.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #60
I subscribe to Revscene

So you think your conclusion is better then the intelligence services that have seen all the evidence?
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #61
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Fixed that for you.

Okay, I'll humour this.

The Ukraine only has one fighter jet in service that has both a 30mm cannon and air-to-air missiles, the Russian built SU-25. The problem is that the R-60 AA missile contains a proximity warhead. The warhead is also a fragmentation, high explosive unit. These don't explode upon contact; they detonate within a preset distance of their target. The third thing is that they use semi-active homing radar detection.

This is also very similar to how the land based Buk SAM units work. The typical missile in these use semi-active homing radar and are armed with proximity fragmentation warheads.

FYI, most semi-active homing systems work on an intercept path, not a chase route.

So, whether MH17 was hit by a missile by an SU-25 or a Buk missile, it's going to display extremely similar body damage. You know, those "bullet holes" near the cockpit.
It should also be kept in mind that the reason a Su-25 carries a 30mm cannon is that it's intended for ground attack like an American A-10, and only has a top speed that is less than 100 km/h faster than a loaded Boeing 777. For it to carry air-to-air armaments would be a bit rare considering that a Su-27 fighter is more oriented for airspace intercept. So unless whoever decided that scrambling a Su-25 of all things was a good idea, the Buk SAM being the source of the attack seems a bit more plausible.

And for the record, forget all that "what-if" bullshit. Unless someone has video of the missile contrail, all we know is that the plane was hit, but we don't know from where.

Excuse my armchair piloting, but as an enthusiast of aviation, I thought I'd chime in.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #62
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
So there are a couple of fighter jets that Ukraine could have used. For convenience sake, let's say it was the MiG-29. It carries one R-27 and some R-73 missiles.

The R-27 is medium-to-long-range air-to-air missile that carries a warhead weight of 39kg.

The R-73 is a short-range air-to-air missile that carries a warhead weight of 16kg.

If EITHER of these missiles were to hit a 777, the engine is the least of your worries. I would be more worried about the instantaneous loss of control (fly-by-wire) that would be essentially render the plane inoperable. In addition, as a result of the explosion, shrapnel would likely cause punctures in the wings and ignite the fuel tanks on them. I highly suspect that the wing would not be able to survive this and the plane would likely break apart in the air.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #63
Head Moderator

Quote:
So you think your conclusion is better then the intelligence services that have seen all the evidence?
No, I think my conclusion matches the general thesis that's been widely accepted as what happened.

But given I haven't seen any official intelligence agency actually state what happened, it's a moot point to a loaded question.

I am also extremely interested as to what in thst post you feel is incorrect.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #64
I subscribe to Revscene

Do you care to track down the German and US reports and see how credible they are?

Also what I think is incorrect in your post is the absence, or rather acknowledging the smoking gun evidence of Russia tracking a military place lining up to the airliner and the US withholding that satellite imagery to reveal the truth.

@CRS
Post is too long for me to read tonight.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #65
Head Moderator

Quote:
Do you care to track down the German and US reports and see how credible they are?

Also what I think is incorrect in your post is the absence, or rather acknowledging the smoking gun evidence of Russia tracking a military place lining up to the airliner and the US withholding that satellite imagery to reveal the truth.
"Evidence" that may or may not exist. What I'm postulating here is based on the physical evidence that does exist and that both you and I can see with our own eyes.

So, based solely on that information, do you think my theory is still incorrect?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
(part of the BRICKS group)
it's BRICs

Brazil
Russia
India
China

you suck at life CiC
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #67
I subscribe to Revscene

@Lomac
I think you should run your conclusions through the intelligence reports first then have us commit to reading your thesis.
Even the Malaysian government media have publish this report.. the least you can do is read it first and get into the technicalities.

One comparison you can do is size up the head of a pilot, and super impose that over the cabin panels. Size up the 30-33mm cannon diameter to that human head, and we can compare hole sizes.

The smoking gun is being withheld by the US. That tells the story there it self. Maybe Ron Paul's been directed to cue us in because Malaysia may go against the grain of ZioAmerica propaganda. That Malaysian reprint came out 4 days ago, Ron Paul's, only yesterday.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #68
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i love two things:

CiC keeps on talking about intelligence reports as though he has them! what a fool

People who ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT come in, discuss rationally based on experience and knowledge, CiC banters on about cracker BS still...

this is so hilarious it's not even funny.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #69
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
The proof may or may not exist and therefore, you're all wrong, according to CiC.

Did I just sum up his whole argument?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #70
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
See my .sig, but replace "sebberry" with "CiC".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #71
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The proof may or may not exist and therefore, you're all wrong, according to CiC.

Did I just sum up his whole argument?
Bingo. Or when Gin Rummy talks in The Boondocks (I'd post the video but language is NSFW)

"I always say, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

"Simply because you don't have evidence that something does exist does not mean that you have evidence that something doesn't exist."

"Well, what I'm saying is that there are known knowns and that there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know."

In other words, his argument can be summed up as what you said Ronin. Basically, he's allowed to pull whatever shit out of his ass (unknown, unknowns) he wants and he's right, and any physical proof we pull makes us wrong regardless of its validity.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #72
Head Moderator

Quote:
@Lomac
I think you should run your conclusions through the intelligence reports first then have us commit to reading your thesis.
Even the Malaysian government media have publish this report.. the least you can do is read it first and get into the technicalities.

One comparison you can do is size up the head of a pilot, and super impose that over the cabin panels. Size up the 30-33mm cannon diameter to that human head, and we can compare hole sizes.

The smoking gun is being withheld by the US. That tells the story there it self. Maybe Ron Paul's been directed to cue us in because Malaysia may go against the grain of ZioAmerica propaganda. That Malaysian reprint came out 4 days ago, Ron Paul's, only yesterday.
The data on the black box is likely still under analysis, so how can any intelligence agency issue an official report on what happened? THEY CAN'T.

So again I ask, based on the physical information we both have, what's wrong with my conclusion?

BTW, there's no such thing as a 33mm calibre, nor a 30 odd 33. Not sure where that came from...
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #73
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Why hasn't CiC been banned yet?
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #74
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremematt85 View Post
Why hasn't CiC been banned yet?
We need someone to make the rest of us look/feel normal.

Even asian_XL needs to feel normal sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #75
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
The data on the black box is likely still under analysis, so how can any intelligence agency issue an official report on what happened? THEY CAN'T.

So again I ask, based on the physical information we both have, what's wrong with my conclusion?

BTW, there's no such thing as a 33mm calibre, nor a 30 odd 33. Not sure where that came from...
For the 100th time, go read these reports then make your final thesis. Stop spamming or I'll keep you on my ignore list.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
This post FAILED by: