REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Porsche Cayenne + Panamera headlights

While I think the Cayenne diesel offers the best value for the money for a 6 cyl diesel SUV right now.. however this gives me a pause.

It seems that Porsche sedans and SUVs headlights can be removed without much effort (you don't need to open the hood!) !! Looks like a better payoff with less effort for car thieves than stealing 4runner's cats!! It looks like they are just held on by tabs and they are plentiful around town (vs 90s 4runners).

Original link:

Quote:
The Porsche Cayenne is a premium class SUV and is pretty popular in Russia, especially in Moscow. People buy them, people drive them and seem to be happy with their cars if not for one thing: some people have found out that headlights on this car can be relatively easily removed from the car without opening the hood. This created a whole branch of con men specializing in Porsche Cayenne headlights. If you think they just steal the headlights and then resell them you are wrong. What those people usually do according to the reports I read is, they steal the headlights, then they hide those headlights somewhere nearby the car and leave a note on the windshield. The note offers to tell them that the headlights were removed and waiting for them nearby, in order to know the location where they are, a victim should pay a ransom through one of the virtual currencies which are pretty much a big deal in Russia. Assuming that the price of the pair of the lights might reach a thousand dollars, the note asks much less. A lot of people pay this amount and then get a text with the location of their lost lights.

Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
What the fu....?
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
doesn't Russia have the largest number of dash cams? Surely many have parking mode enabled and have the faces of the culprits?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
I don't get it

After this article, I am pretty sure we're going to see this happen around the world now.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I wonder how easy it is to open the hood.
ziegs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Oh, I thought those were new styles. Hollow headlights yo.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
From the article you don't need to open the hood to remove them.. it seems they can just disable the catch mechanism by shimmying it. Going to try it on my friend's Cayenne this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegs2020 View Post
I wonder how easy it is to open the hood.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

yet another reason to own a 911
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote