REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
5%, 30%?

what property management companies have you guys been using?

standard is 10%, you can get lower but that's when they start taking first month's rent for new tenants (i.e. gives them incentive to have a revolving door of tenants).

basically you will not see a penny more of rent from the tenant - go through all legal routes (this is where a property manager may help you as they'll be fully up to speed on these processes), and get rid of them.

what you're going through is why i wouldn't own a rental in BC, i've gone through the same in the US, good thing is (depending on state) they're out within 25 days - but it's never a win for you to kick a tenant out, will always cost you, even if you have 1 month's deposit.

best of luck kicking the tenant to the curb, they deserve nothing good from life if they're being an unreasonably bad tenant
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #27
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Here is what I did. My tenant just like your disappear and haven't pay rent for about 20 days. Try to call her call her work her mom all no answer, going up to the unit she will not open door (I know she is at home since there TV noise).

So I serve the 10 day notice and I also call up the police explain to them that
A. This person haven't answer my calls for the last 2 weeks .
B. She haven't been to work during that time.
C. Calling her parents home there is no answer.
So at this point I fear something might happen to her such as she is injury or murder or sth (not true I just want the police to be there when I open the door to the apartment to make sure I am doing this by the book). Police said they will go with me to make sure she is ok but they are not there to get my rent or anything.).

Fast forward meet police at the suite door open the door and BAM she is there with her bf half naked. After she got dress the police explain what happen and now that she is safe we will leave. I casually ask her if she receive my 10 day notice she just said yes. Next day she called and said she packed already and is moving out and just wanted to give my keys back.

Sometimes getting the police invole does help at least it scares them and you are letting them know you mean business and they can't be dicking you around.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #28
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
First off, as a landlord, you need to give the tenant 24 hours notice. By going into the unit without notice and tossing their stuff out, imo, is not the right way to do things, unless you know they are doing something illegal ie grow up, in which case the police need a warrant before they can enter.
I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this, but going into their unit and tossing out their stuff might even land you in trouble with the law.
The RTB has it's uses too as a landlord, but for the most part, their rules gives tenants far too much power.

From what I recall from Grimlock and Dinosaur, even if you go to the RTB because of non-payment, the tenants can live in your unit rent free until the RTB comes out with their decision. Even if they do rule in your favor, do you think those low life dead beats will pay up.
From what I recall, they usually just talk to the tenants and tell them they can move out right away and terminate the rental agreement. You may have to search up their old threads to find their exact post, but I recall it being along this line.
The sooner you get them out, the less damage they can do to your unit. If they know they are on their way out, what's stopping them from ripping open the walls and stealing all the copper and moving out in the middle of the night. Or worse yet, take off and leave behind crappy urine/feces infested furniture that you will have to pay to discard of.

Generally, a property manager isn't going to do shit for you other than what you can do yourself and then get 30% from you. Do your own back ground checks. Ask for references. Heck, google and facebook them. This is stuff a property manager may not do when you use one to rent out your unit.
I agree that resolving the situation on my terms is probably the worst idea. The RTA is amusingly favourable towards tenants that I have to be at mercy.

I'll keep everyone posted next week.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #29
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Here is what I did. My tenant just like your disappear and haven't pay rent for about 20 days. Try to call her call her work her mom all no answer, going up to the unit she will not open door (I know she is at home since there TV noise).

So I serve the 10 day notice and I also call up the police explain to them that
A. This person haven't answer my calls for the last 2 weeks .
B. She haven't been to work during that time.
C. Calling her parents home there is no answer.
So at this point I fear something might happen to her such as she is injury or murder or sth (not true I just want the police to be there when I open the door to the apartment to make sure I am doing this by the book). Police said they will go with me to make sure she is ok but they are not there to get my rent or anything.).

Fast forward meet police at the suite door open the door and BAM she is there with her bf half naked. After she got dress the police explain what happen and now that she is safe we will leave. I casually ask her if she receive my 10 day notice she just said yes. Next day she called and said she packed already and is moving out and just wanted to give my keys back.

Sometimes getting the police invole does help at least it scares them and you are letting them know you mean business and they can't be dicking you around.
LOL, I'll keep this in mind.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #30
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
in for updates
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #31
I don't get it

Well she moved out but left a ton a mattresses, dirty furniture, cat litter boxes, dirty carpets. I really don't know how she lived like this. I am going clean this up in a few days once I have time and figure out how I am going to get her to pay for the clean up.

Last edited by dvst8; 10-19-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #32

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Well she moved out but left a ton a mattresses, dirty furniture, cat litter boxes, dirty carpets. I really don't know how she lived like this. I am going clean this up in a few days once I have time and figure out how I am going to get her to pay for the clean up.
Did you already give back the damage deposit?
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #33
I don't get it

Nope I kept it but its going to pay off the utilities she owed.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Nope I kept it but its going to pay off the utilities she owed.
did you have the proper documentation to keep the damage deposit?
like the Condition Inspection Report for starters?
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/DownloadAs...name=rtb27.pdf
Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #35
I don't get it

We didn't fill out a form for that. I think I will next time though. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #36

Quote:
We didn't fill out a form for that. I think I will next time though. Thanks.
ok, how about a forwarding address? did the Tenant give you that?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #37
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
IIRC, you're supposed to hang on to that shxt for her for a specified period. Otherwise, she could come back later on and if you can't give the junk back to her, she can sue you at small claims for her "loss". It's utter BS, but that's the tenancy branch and the tenant protection laws for you.

On the other hand, I think you can bill her for any storage fees you incur as a result of storing those junk of hers. If she doesn't pay up, you can file at the small claims court to claim that amount. Of course, going this route (suing) is gonna eat up your time and energy.

Try to get ahold of her, and if she says that she doesn't want her shxt anymore, make sure you have that documented somehow (best to get her to put it down in writing). It's a pain in the ass, but you gotta take all the necessary measures so that you don't get ripped off
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #38
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Did you run thorugh the inespection with her while she leave. You should because if there is any damage you have to noted it down and both of you have to sign the form in the end. Also she is require to clean up the suite and take all of her things with her. If she doesn't want it she still have to dump it out herself...... Not a good sign. As someone said you can't just keep her deposit. You can however use the deposit towards damage repairs and force her on the spot to remove all her shit.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #39

Quote:
....As someone said you can't just keep her deposit. ....
not entirely true

from the RTA Section 39 of Division 5 — At the End of a Tenancy
Quote:
Landlord may retain deposits if forwarding address not provided

39 Despite any other provision of this Act, if a tenant does not give a landlord a forwarding address in writing within one year after the end of the tenancy,

(a) the landlord may keep the security deposit or the pet damage deposit, or both, and

(b) the right of the tenant to the return of the security deposit or pet damage deposit is extinguished.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #40
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
IIRC, you're supposed to hang on to that shxt for her for a specified period. Otherwise, she could come back later on and if you can't give the junk back to her, she can sue you at small claims for her "loss". It's utter BS, but that's the tenancy branch and the tenant protection laws for you.

On the other hand, I think you can bill her for any storage fees you incur as a result of storing those junk of hers. If she doesn't pay up, you can file at the small claims court to claim that amount. Of course, going this route (suing) is gonna eat up your time and energy.

Try to get ahold of her, and if she says that she doesn't want her shxt anymore, make sure you have that documented somehow (best to get her to put it down in writing). It's a pain in the ass, but you gotta take all the necessary measures so that you don't get ripped off
The tenancy board needs to be changed that's for sure. I going to throw it all out or if I find out where she is, I will be happily to hire someone to return her belongings. She basically left the suite a day before we were suppose to meet up. She also left the keys in the suite so I am pretty sure she's not coming back to collect.

Depending on costs, I wouldn't mind taking this to small claims just to teach her a lesson. She's been screwing around landlords for a long time and this shit needs to stop.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #41
I don't get it

Quote:
Did you run thorugh the inespection with her while she leave. You should because if there is any damage you have to noted it down and both of you have to sign the form in the end. Also she is require to clean up the suite and take all of her things with her. If she doesn't want it she still have to dump it out herself...... Not a good sign. As someone said you can't just keep her deposit. You can however use the deposit towards damage repairs and force her on the spot to remove all her shit.
She took off before our meetup date and she's not answering my calls. In a old txt msg from her, she mentioned that I can keep the deposit. So I should be safe to keep it. Its just not enough to pay for much of the cleanup/rent/utils...
Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #42
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
ok, how about a forwarding address? did the Tenant give you that?
Nope, she's broken all contacts. It was hard enough to talk or believe anything she said when she was there.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #43
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
not entirely true

from the RTA Section 39 of Division 5 — At the End of a Tenancy
You stopped bolding before an important part:

"if a tenant does not give a landlord a forwarding address in writing within one year after the end of the tenancy"
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #44
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Just curious, how did you find out she has done this to other landlords? Or are you just assuming?
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #45
I don't get it

Not assuming. Mainly finding info in the internet. One tip lead to another etc...
Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #46
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
This right here is why I refuse to suite my basement, just not worth it to me.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote