REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Main Street Massacre (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697435-main-street-massacre.html)

murd0c 08-13-2014 10:48 AM

Main Street Massacre

So this new game has been all over the news today and its kinda fun!!

Online game shows Skytrain rider gun down people on platform | News1130

http://msm.wildmanindustrie.netdna-cdn.com/

Quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Someone is playing on all the frustrations caused by the recent service disruptions on SkyTrain by letting you play a disgruntled passenger mowing down people on the platform.

The game is called Main Street Massacre and it’s not going over very well with transit users in Vancouver. It stars a character named “Mack,” a construction worker who’s having a bad day. The cheque cashing store is about to close, and the SkyTrain keeps stopping and starting. Face flushing with anger, he pulls out a gun and that’s when you can start shooting.

Despite a lot of smiles, chuckles and eye-rolls from people along the Broadway corridor, no one really approved.

Brenda doesn’t think it is an appropriate way to vent frustrations about SkyTrain service.

“I’m not a big fan of gory games and this is along the same lines. Any sort of bloodletting or anything like that… I’m not a big fan,” she tells News1130.

“Entertainers, game designers and all these different people should be responsible for what they create and do,” adds Philip. “They’re telling people that it’s okay to do this, and it’s not. It should be against the rules of our society.”

Wildman Industries is listed as the game’s producer, though it’s not clear if it’s a real company.

The game has surfaced several weeks after two major glitches on the SkyTrain left people stranded for a couple of hours.

Transit Police says it is aware of the game and it’s in the process of reviewing it to determine if any “police-related issues come to light.”

TransLink says the game isn’t in the “public interest.”

Expert weighs in

While the game will be criticized by many people, the host of the technology and entertainment show The Electric Playground says it deserves to have the same creative freedom that society grants for violent movies and even ancient plays.

“They’re interactive and yes they let you ‘live’ through some dark stuff,” Victor Lucas says of violent video games. “Some of it’s fantasy, some of it can be hyper real. But I also feel like it’s an art form. Like any art that’s out there in the world, there needs to be an amount of freedom of expression.”

Lucas reference’s Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver and even ancient plays like Oedipus Rex, both of which are largely celebrated in popular culture, despite depicting incredible violence.

yray 08-13-2014 10:53 AM

was expecting smth better...

Felt like I was back on newgrounds.com :lol

7seven 08-13-2014 11:11 AM

I'm just surprised the game is gunning down random passengers instead of Translink board and transit workers lol.

multicartual 08-13-2014 11:20 AM

“Entertainers, game designers and all these different people should be responsible for what they create and do,” adds Philip. “They’re telling people that it’s okay to do this, and it’s not. It should be against the rules of our society.”

Uhhh

Gucci Mane 08-13-2014 11:26 AM

yeah its not bad lol. but as usual the squares are blowing this way out of proportion.

4444 08-13-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8516205)

Uhhh

some people are idiots. i didn't read the article, so not sure who this philip fella is, but what a spastic.

just as idiotic as the person that made this game. it would have been good, in 1982 on a commodore 64.

Bouncing Bettys 08-13-2014 11:31 AM

This reminds me of that Columbine Massacre game from a few years ago. The lack of any factual links between video games and violence in the real world makes me love stories like these. They seem to bring out all the decrying idiots for me to laugh at.

multicartual 08-13-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_KB (Post 8516210)
yeah its not bad lol. but as usual the squares are blowing this way out of proportion.

Also the media is giving this game massive free publicity

Gucci Mane 08-13-2014 12:09 PM

thats the best part. bet the creator is just sitting back and laughing his face off with all the traffic his site is getting.

multicartual 08-13-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_KB (Post 8516229)
thats the best part. bet the creator is just sitting back and laughing his face off with all the traffic his site is getting.

I should write a book about date rape and make it sound as realistic as possible, if I can get mentioned by the media it will help me get established as a writer

Writing about non-controversial stuff means you have to pay for ads, reviews and basically buy your way into the public consciousness, same thing with games I'd imagine

Skytrain Shooter has probably been seen by at LEAST 10,000 people already today.

Gumby 08-13-2014 01:28 PM

^
Except the game is called Main Street Massacre. :p

Yodamaster 08-13-2014 05:43 PM

People caring too much about random shit that they are not obliged to expose themselves to / does not matter in their lives.

This theme of being a moral superhero is getting really fucking tiring, Vancouver, just deal with it.

multicartual 08-13-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8516358)
People caring too much about random shit that they are not obliged to expose themselves to / does not matter in their lives.

This theme of being a moral superhero is getting really fucking tiring, Vancouver, just deal with it.

Yes but the marketers, advertisers, anyone who makes their living in the media are helping to perpetuate the moral outrage publicity engine because they can use it to help clients.

Transgenderism is fucking hot right now. If I were transgender and wrote a book about discrimination I faced, I bet it would be a hot seller.

Manipulating large groups of people is what anyone in media WANTS to have the power to do.

The designer of this game is brilliant and I'm sure they've made a ton of cash today.

HOLY FUCK:

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...sacre&safe=off

LOOK AT THIS PUBLICITY!!!

Fuck I have to write a book about date raping women, I bet it would outrage people and get coverage

ae101 08-13-2014 08:14 PM

blaming video game for violence, if so then wtf was everyone playing before video games were invented :lawl:

sorry didnt bother to read the article & i assume its just a bunch of idiots blaming video games for everything again

bartone 08-13-2014 10:17 PM

of course the main character represents a Surrey Jack

melloman 08-14-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae101 (Post 8516433)
blaming video game for violence, if so then wtf was everyone playing before video games were invented :lawl:

It's funny that this is now the norm.. to blame video games for the youths violence..

Yet I remember my parents always talking about "the days before TV" where they played games... outside :suspicious: Yknow, like with sticks & stones.. Because there was no violence playing games with actual "weapons." :fulloffuck:

murd0c 08-14-2014 07:47 AM

Don't forget the big game of our parents generation was Cowboys and Indians... People just like to bitch and complain about every little thing these days and of course the News stations have to get all over it right away since they love to start controversy

GS8 08-14-2014 08:46 AM

Fucking naggers

With social media, So many seem to think they're a Guardian of the Galaxy now.

Well they have the social degenerate outcast misfit part right...

Matlock 08-14-2014 02:03 PM

Great job CTV on giving publicity to the game. I really would have never played it if I had not seen it on the news. One thing that disappointed me was how on CTV they said I could start out with hammers and upgrade to crowbars and drills before using guns. Very disappointing. The game wasn't done that well, but it was interesting.

Mack's boots did not look like they were CSA approved steel toes. This game promotes inappropriate footwear on construction sites. :troll:

This is just like how the Surrey T-shirt guy made a bunch of "offensive" shirts and the news just gave him a ton of publicity saying how his t-shirts were offensive and bad or whatever. I bet you he sold 10x more shirts after it went on the news.

6o4__boi 08-14-2014 02:26 PM

classic example of bad publicity is still publicity

pretty shitty game tbh lol i can see why they needed it to be controversial.
no way in hell i would've given this a second thought if it wasn't all over the news