REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 AM   #151
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Advertisement
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #152
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Da fuq is wrong with you?? I thought you're FROM Chicago. You would always talk about how you have first-hand experience of gun violence and the crime situation in Illinois and you come up with something as dumb as "guns are banned in Chicago??"

It took me ONE WEEK living in the states to realize that firearm possession is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT of every American citizen. So how the fuq would they be able to ban firearms in Chicago?? ANY ban of firearm possession in the United States would be a constitutional infringement and therefore impossible to impose.

LOL when you're trying to portray a point of view, an opinion, a personal experience etc, it would be wise not to make up shit that people can so easily call you out on. LOL guns banned + America loll. Get outta town!
Here?s What Happened to Crime in Chicago After Illinois Finally Passed Concealed Carry Law | TheBlaze.com

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #153
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Why are you showing me this? I thought you said firearms are banned in Chicago? This Mickey Mouse link from "The Blaze" just confirms what I said, they are NOT banned...
Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #154
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Now, obviously I don't live in Chicago but I think it might be a little too early to attribute a decline in murders being the result of concealed carry. Didn't you guys just have the coldest winter in history?

Coldest December-March Period in Chicago History

I know crime certainly drops in the GVRD when temperatures drop; I'm sure it's the same down there. A plus B doesn't necessarily always equal C. Give it a year and if the trend continues, then I may concede the point. However, until then, I can't contribute one with another.

Man, just looking at the stats between Canada and USA is interesting.

Canada as a whole has 1.56 homicides per 100,000 people.
USA as a whole has 4.7 homicides per 100,000 people.

Chicago has 15.2 homicides per 100,000 people.
Surrey has 6.2 homicides per 100,000 people.
Vancouver has 1 homicide per 100,000 people.

I find it interesting because Surrey is the butt of all the crime jokes here and the only people who live there that carry firearms are the gang members, yet the homicide rate is less than half that of a city where any citizen can own a gun (not to mention the Castle Law) and now legally conceal carry.

Obviously there are a lot of different social and economic factors at play here and not all of those homicides were firearm related, but it's still intriguing to see the difference between two countries that are, for all intents and purposes, basically the same.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a fan of guns and I'll shoot 'em whenever I get the chance. However, one has to wonder if one country's way of thinking just might be saner and more logical than the other... AND that includes the adoption (and subsequent dropping) of Bill C-38.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #155
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Upon further thought, I think a better statistic to follow would be robberies instead of homicides. Robberies are more likely to happen to the average citizen, rather than an attempt on your life (though I realize sometimes those two can often end up hand in hand). And with a robbery, you may be more prone to try and defend yourself with whatever you happen to have on hand.

Currently:

Chicago - 497.6 (per 100k)
Seattle - 226.7 (for comparison)
Surrey - 158.8
Vancouver - 148.6

Numbers in all four of these cities tend to fluctuate between each year, so a decline in one year doesn't necessarily mean anything as it can easily rise again in the next. However, the thing to watch for is a constant decline in Chicago's numbers to see if conceal carry will be an effective preventative measure.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 AM   #156
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Obviously there are a lot of different social and economic factors at play here and not all of those homicides were firearm related, but it's still intriguing to see the difference between two countries that are, for all intents and purposes, basically the same.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a fan of guns and I'll shoot 'em whenever I get the chance. However, one has to wonder if one country's way of thinking just might be saner and more logical than the other... AND that includes the adoption (and subsequent dropping) of Bill C-38.
Canada is by far better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104
Why are you showing me this? I thought you said firearms are banned in Chicago? This Mickey Mouse link from "The Blaze" just confirms what I said, they are NOT banned...
Because they were banned for a long, long time and during that time, Chicago had no murders and was safe.... oh, wait. No. The exact opposite is true.

Here's something funny.

Notice the wording in this article.

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Three people violently attacked by large group of teenagers; video is going viral | FOX6Now.com

"Teenagers" Avoid using the word black.
"three-people" Avoid identifying the victim too.

When reverse happens, which by the way is rare as fuck..

White Nazi racists attack innocent 2 year old black Ivy League student.

Here's a challenge for you.. find me something reverse.

I'll try.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+attack+blacks

at results.

But please, do ignore what's happening, as long as you are politically correct, the world is a happy place, there is no evil.

Here,I'll find you the most recent few.
I challenge you to find me as many as easily.

Brooklyn group of black youths blocks white couple's car, bloody victims in racial attack: cops - NY Daily News

Gang of Black Teens Beats White Memphis Grocery Store Employee into Unconsciousness

DailyKenn.com/blog: Black mob of 30 teens attacks white motorists

Also very very recent.

Savage racially motivated mob attack caught on camera in Springfield, MO

Look at the piece of shit white male attacking the black mans feet with his face. Racist piece of shit, deserved what he got.

My favorite.
http://www.infowars.com/white-marine...evenge-attack/
But its okay, he wanted waffles, that terrible murderer!

http://toprightnews.com/?p=5394
Evil racist white "lifeguard" attacks innocent black teenagers fists with face and mouth. Racist deserved it because slavery existed.
Poor black teenager was going to go to college soon and become a doctor.

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/24...k-man-downtown
I like how you can't tell who the attackers are until they point out the slurs that were shouted.

If this was reversed, you know the headline and what it'd look like.

So please, keep pretending there isn't a problem.. because you can.

SMH, yolo.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4

Last edited by The7even; 09-08-2014 at 04:12 AM.
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:31 AM   #157
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Off-duty St. Louis officer shoots, kills man who fired at him

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/08/us/st-louis-officer-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- An off-duty St. Louis police officer shot and killed an 18-year-old Wednesday, firing his gun 17 times, authorities said.

Angry residents damaged several police cars in response, even though police say the man fired first.

The death comes on the heels of the Michael Brown shooting two months ago in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, and just ahead of a "Weekend of Resistance" in St. Louis, where activists will push for movement in the investigation into that case.
Tensions rise after police shooting
Off-duty officer shoots, kills man

Like Brown, the teen who was killed in Wednesday's shooting was black. The officers in both incidents are white, police said.

The difference: Brown was unarmed. In Wednesday's incident, the teen had a gun, said St. Louis police Chief Sam Dotson.

Tensions are already high in the community, and it's uncertain how the latest shooting will affect its mood.

"At the scene of yet another young man's death," tweeted St. Louis Alderman Antonio French. "This happens too often in our city. It's a crisis that we should all be concerned about."

An animated crowd quickly gathered late Wednesday near the site close to the Missouri Botanical Garden, chanting slogans as St. Louis police officers stood by.

"Hey, hey, ho, ho, these killer cops have got to go," the crowd chanted, along with, "Who do you serve? Who do you protect?"

The confrontations with police were intense and laced with profanity.

"That was somebody's baby," screamed one man, referring to the man who was killed.

"Think about your own child," pleaded another person in the crowd.

Despite the tensions, Dotson said no businesses were looted and no windows were smashed. He praised officers for showing a "tremendous amount of restraint" as members of the crowd confronted them face-to-face and damaged police cruisers.

Started with a pedestrian check

The officer, a six-year veteran of the force, was working a second job for a security company, one that was approved by his department. He had on his police uniform.

While on patrol, the officer saw three black males run away as he approached. He gave chase, because one of them was holding up his pants in a way that made the officer believe the teen may be carrying a gun, Dotson said.

The officer and one of the three tussled. The teen ran off, then turned around and fired at least three shots at the officer, Dotson said.

The officer returned fire, killing the teen.
Singing protest shocks crowd
Ferguson fights media over public records

Police recovered a 9 mm handgun. And Dotson said the teen was "no stranger to law enforcement." He didn't offer details, citing privacy concerns.

The two other males have not been apprehended.

'Weekend of Resistance'

In August, Brown, an African-American, was shot to death by a white police officer in Ferguson. The death of the unarmed 18-year-old fueled protests and sparked a nationwide debate on police use of force.

Protesters are planning a series of demonstrations, rallies and events in Ferguson and St. Louis this weekend to call for an end to racial profiling and what they call police violence.

This weekend's protests start with a rally and outside the office of the prosecutor investigating the Brown shooting.

Demonstrators will call for Bob McCulloch to step aside and allow a special prosecutor to be appointed.

Additional marches and demonstrations will mark the weekend, along with "civil disobedience actions around the St. Louis region," according to a statement from organizers that also says thousands of people from across the country are expected.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #158
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #159

Grand jury verdict about to be released in a few minutes. Prosecutor waited till 9 P.M, to release the verdict. If he is not charged I think Ferguson will explode. Large crowds already on the street.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #160
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Bloomberg TV: Business Live TV - Bloomberg

streaming live now
kluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #161
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Live on Global now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #162
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
this sounds like he might get off
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #163

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Yea he's talking way too much for an indictment verdict.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #164

No charge. Things going t get crazy.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #165
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
These sound like excuses for not indicting.

EDIT: No charges against Wilson.

Livestream of the crowd just cut out?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #166

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
HE"S OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO

white people wins again!
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #167
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Glad to hear that actual evidence and testimony were considered in reaching the correct verdict, and NOT public outrage.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #168
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
The stream of the city outside looks like there's a lot of people running around but no violence or police confrontation.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #169
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
People chanting "Can't stop the revolution", "Pigs gunna fry, cuz" and "They got snipers on the roof, bruh"

Yeezus.

Some old white lady is out there looking confused and shit.

"I wiff dah pepo"
Old 11-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #170

Tear gas is flying.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #171
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
lol fuck buddy on CNN almost got ht in the head wit ha can of tear gas
Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #172

A Little Caesars is burning to the ground the took out a Mcdicks too.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #173
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
^And a Walgreens

https://vine.co/v/O1XrMg90ZAg
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #174
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Cosby using this distraction to go on a rape spree
Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #175
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i want some crazy bread now..
kluk is offline   Reply With Quote