REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #76
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Didn't the police initially say Brown was shot from around 35ft away from the police car which was in close proximity to the officer as he fired? Seems odd he felt he had no other options than a kill shot to the head if Brown wasn't within a few feet of him.
information will come out in due course, i hope.

note i used the term 'information' not 'the truth' as i don't think the truth will ever be fully transparent in this one
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #77
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Didn't the police initially say Brown was shot from around 35ft away from the police car which was in close proximity to the officer as he fired? Seems odd he felt he had no other options than a kill shot to the head if Brown wasn't within a few feet of him.
They aim center mass, it;s not like every cop is a perfect marksman and shoots his gun on a daily basis. I wasn't there but if I had to guess the head shots would have been the last shots because the target would have dropped.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #78
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
That's assuming that the shot to the head was intended to hit him there, obviously they're going to aim center of mass for accuracy but after a struggle, wearing gear and with a moving target I'd say hitting someones head could be as much of a fluke as anything. Either way, if he's shooting he's most likely shooting to kill (ie stop completely), in which case does it matter much where he was hit?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
That's a pretty stupid claim to make, why would a police force train its members how to get out of illegal situations they become involved in.

You might know ways to get around loopholes from administering those laws as part of the job... but they definitely don't train you how to fuck around when you fuck up. Nobody likes a fuckup and there are fuckups in every single profession in the world -- policing included. Probably a lot less % wise than most professions though, but it doesn't make newspaper headlines when an office worker orders the wrong grade of paper for the photocopier does it? You try doing your job every day full of random incidents constantly under scrutiny of a million bosses (supervisors, public, media) and see how you like it when every single thing you do is questioned from every possible angle.
They released the stats for Canadian police a while back and the % of "fuckups" by the Canadian police was extremely low. Assuming most people do 90-95% of their job correctly (and a lot of people do much less), they'd still be in the bottom percentile of Canadian police officers if they were cops instead.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #80

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Another shooting in Ferguson/St Louis. Guy was shoplifting and had a knife. Cops shot and killed him. On CNN right now.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #81
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Another shooting in Ferguson/St Louis. Guy was shoplifting and had a knife. Cops shot and killed him. On CNN right now.
more and more of these stories are coming out.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #82
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
ST. LOUIS - A man has been shot and killed by police Tuesday afternoon in north St. Louis, reports CBS affiliate KMOV.

Authorities confirmed that police were involved in a shooting that left one man dead around 12:30 p.m., according to the station. Police said the man was a 23-year-old accused of stealing muffins and energy drinks from a local store.

St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said in a tweet that the suspect was brandishing a knife at the time of the shooting, according to KMOV. Witnesses said he was acting erratically.

Two officers at the scene reportedly asked the suspect to put down the weapon. Police said he yelled, "Shoot me now, shoot me now" before charging the officers with the knife, and was then fatally shot by two police officers.

A local alderman previously told CBS News that police said the victim was black.

An employee at a nearby market told the station that the incident took place outside the Six Stars Market along Riverview Blvd.

KMOV reports that no officers were injured in the shooting.

The fatal shooting occurred approximately four miles from the deadly officer-involved shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown ten days ago in Ferguson, Mo.

© 2014 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Cops: Man brandishing knife shot dead by St. Louis police - CBS News
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #83
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Apparently he was approaching the officer aggressively with the knife overhead in a position with intent to stab and was shot 4 feet from the officer.

Surely he was an upstanding kid who had his hands up to surrender also.

Want to not get shot by a cop? Don't be a fucking idiot
Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #84

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
If the local ppl make this a white vs black thing, I'm certain they'd have done the same thing if it were a white cracker with a knife charging them.

I know there are racial problems, but this is not an example of that
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #85
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
That's a pretty stupid claim to make, why would a police force train its members how to get out of illegal situations they become involved in.
"Judge Janice Dillon of the B.C. Supreme Court ruled that drinking the vodka was a deliberate act to mislead the crash investigation, noting the veteran's RCMP training taught him that drinking booze afterwards could potentially mask the alcohol he drank earlier in the night."

No jail time for former RCMP officer Monty Robinson, convicted of obstruction

I don't care that he's a cop. All I'm saying is that after he hit the person, he should have stayed at the scene and called an ambulance..

You know what the family of the deceased person got out of all of this, is a letter of apology from Robinson, do you think that's justice?
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #86
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I might be reading that differently than you...

But to me that reads like "Thru his RCMP training, he learned that suspects might drink booze after a drunk driving accident to cover up being drunk during the accident"

not

"RCMP officers are trained to get drunk after they are involved in drunk driving accidents so they can hide the fact they were drunk when the accident occurred"
Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #87
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
"Judge Janice Dillon of the B.C. Supreme Court ruled that drinking the vodka was a deliberate act to mislead the crash investigation, noting the veteran's RCMP training taught him that drinking booze afterwards could potentially mask the alcohol he drank earlier in the night."

No jail time for former RCMP officer Monty Robinson, convicted of obstruction

I don't care that he's a cop. All I'm saying is that after he hit the person, he should have stayed at the scene and called an ambulance..

You know what the family of the deceased person got out of all of this, is a letter of apology from Robinson, do you think that's justice?
Sure the actions of the officer may not have been morally correct, but when shit goes down isn't your primal instinct damage control and how to cover your own ass?

It's easy sitting behind a keyboard and making that decision sober but when shit goes down you only have so long to make up your mind and live by it.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #88
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Anyone know the backstory to this?

fastforward to about 1:30

guy is wielding a gun, starts walking towards cops, gets laid out ... then near the end of the vid the guy filming remarks: "Why wouldn't you use a taser .. damn". As if a cop is going to use a taser on a guy with a gun, to give him enough time to line up the shot and kill the cop.

My guess is that people are starting to think they can test/provoke the police without repercussions after the recent ferguson incidents, or the guy just wanted to die
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #89
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Yeah, I'm okay with the video above. I don't see a gun but the video isn't great (vertical video...) so I'll take your word for it that he had one. If he had a gun out, he's a threat so the cops should have their guns out and pointed at him. He keeps moving towards the police despite repeated warnings so they did what they had to do.

That's just stupidity that got that guy killed. Steal a couple sodas? You'll get a slap on the wrist. Have a gun on you? Probably not a lot of time unless you've already got a couple strikes. He decided to test the cops instead and got his ass killed.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #90
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Ugh, I cannot handle these YouTube comments. "Why didn't they shoot him in the foot?" "Why didn't they shoot the knife out of his hand?"

If something is a threat, keep shooting center mass until it stops moving. If the options are killing a man that's threatening to kill you or possibly just wounding a man coming at you with a knife drawn, then you kill the guy.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #91

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Anyone know the backstory to this?

Powell Shooting Cell Phone Camera - YouTube

guy is wielding a gun, starts walking towards cops, gets laid out ... then near the end of the vid the guy filming remarks: "Why wouldn't you use a taser .. damn". As if a cop is going to use a taser on a guy with a gun, to give him enough time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Yeah, I'm okay with the video above. I don't see a gun but the video isn't great (vertical video...) so I'll take your word for it that he had one. If he had a gun out, he's a threat so the cops should have their guns out and pointed at him. He keeps moving towards the police despite repeated warnings so they did what they had to do.
Not that it really makes a difference but he's not "wielding a gun," but he is apparently holding a knife. They fought a deadly weapon with a deadly weapon...In the civilian world, the law would see this as a just fight, I'm sure.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #92
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Ugh, I cannot handle these YouTube comments. "Why didn't they shoot him in the foot?" "Why didn't they shoot the knife out of his hand?"

If something is a threat, keep shooting center mass until it stops moving. If the options are killing a man that's threatening to kill you or possibly just wounding a man coming at you with a knife drawn, then you kill the guy.
Kid was a beast.

It's like trying to take down a charging rhino with a 9mm pistol and expecting it to drop on the first shot...
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #93
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

lol iunno if u guys listened with headphones or not but u hear the guy who got shot yelling shoot me, shoot me shoot me mafka and then starts walking closer to the cops...
classified is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #94
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
a video was shown this morning of an officer trying to disperse a crowd of protesters..he did so by pointing his rifle at the crowd and threatening that he could kill them a senior officer came and told him to lower his weapon

apparently the gun pointing officer has been suspended indefinitely
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #95

Quote:

Good luck hitting a moving targets hand on the first try while simultaneously checking behind him to ensure there's no collateral damage.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #96
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:

Wasn't there a (one-sided) argument started by a certain someone regarding this exact subject before ?
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #97

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Good luck hitting a moving targets hand on the first try while simultaneously checking behind him to ensure there's no collateral damage.
But I do it in Call of Duty easy
Old 08-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #98
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Apparently they didn't watch this video

MaaaadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #99
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Sure the actions of the officer may not have been morally correct, but when shit goes down isn't your primal instinct damage control and how to cover your own ass?

It's easy sitting behind a keyboard and making that decision sober but when shit goes down you only have so long to make up your mind and live by it.
well we should agree to disagree. If I hit someone and kill them, my primal instinct isn't to run away. It's gonna be to stay at the scene and help the poor guy that's dying.

That mentality is so fucked up. He shouldn't have even been driving in the first place
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #100
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
well we should agree to disagree. If I hit someone and kill them, my primal instinct isn't to run away. It's gonna be to stay at the scene and help the poor guy that's dying.

That mentality is so fucked up. He shouldn't have even been driving in the first place
You never know what you'll do until you're put in that situation.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote