REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Would Ben Johnson Have Been the Greatest Sprinter Ever Without Steroids?

I think he could have. Steroids can definitely help but it's not like they will make you go faster without putting in any effort. You still need to train and run. When you look at his speed and his explosive start out of the blocks I think he would have eventually been as great without steroids as he was with it.

Advertisement
bLUEsTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Nope, don't think Ben Johnson could have done it without doping. He always had a strong start/good reaction, but Carl Lewis, on the other hand, was more a "complete" sprinter. Lewis had decent starts but more importantly he had the power and endurance to catch and pass Ben Johnson to win a race. That was, until Ben Johnson started doping. In the video you've posted, Johnson had already been doping for a few years (started doping sometime after 1984 Olympics where he got a bronze medal, behind Lewis' gold).
Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Well it depends, do the other runners still get to use steroids? If he's the only one who can't, then no.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
pretty sure everyone gears not just him
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

They didn't call the 1988 Seoul Olympic 100m Mens Finals "The Dirty Race In History" for nothing: of the eight sprinters, six has either tested positive for banded substance or have been involve in supplying/distributing them.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS PWR View Post
Nope, don't think Ben Johnson could have done it without doping. He always had a strong start/good reaction, but Carl Lewis, on the other hand, was more a "complete" sprinter. Lewis had decent starts but more importantly he had the power and endurance to catch and pass Ben Johnson to win a race. That was, until Ben Johnson started doping. In the video you've posted, Johnson had already been doping for a few years (started doping sometime after 1984 Olympics where he got a bronze medal, behind Lewis' gold).
Carl was on the juice too. Lewis: 'Who cares I failed drug test?' | Sport | The Guardian
Old 08-17-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
They all were/are
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
I remember that day clearly. That was huge for Canada. Then massive shame was felt when he was caught cheating. What a let down.

Knowing now that it's highly likely that every single runner in that race was on PHDs, it's almost more of a shame that he was singled out and embarrassed in front of the world when he was on a seemingly level playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Your thread title is a rhetorical question. Why did he use steroids then? For certainty and confidence?
fourthavenuecafe is offline   Reply With Quote