REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #76
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
"If you agreed to that". Exactly, if before you rented the tuxedos they told you that if one gets damaged you all have to pay, and you agreed to those terms, you can't complain later when shit happens and you have to pay up.

If you don't agree to the terms of the rental then don't rent.
You haven't been following this, have you?

All 6 people signed 6 individual waivers and paid 6 individual deposits. Nowhere in the contract does it say anyone other than the person who signed has to pay. And they can't legally add a bunch of conditions VERBALLY that are outside of what's WRITTEN in the contract and expect them to be binding.
Advertisement
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #77
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Maybe the rental company reads this thread?

Spoiler!
change thread title to "SCAM: Beach Buoy Rentals Cultus Lake" so people notice it more on google?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #78
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
"If you agreed to that". Exactly, if before you rented the tuxedos they told you that if one gets damaged you all have to pay, and you agreed to those terms, you can't complain later when shit happens and you have to pay up.

If you don't agree to the terms of the rental then don't rent.
^

It's already been said but that was never the agreement. How about you rent that same tux and you return it in good shape and they decide that the rental agreement is out the window you've now bought the tux. You don't like it? To bad already charged your credit card, sue me.

You need to read the original few posts, the guys who run this jet ski shop aren't on the up and up they are straight thieves.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #79
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
how about just pay for the fucking damage, pay back the guys who had their deposit taken, and move on as a lesson learned? leave the reviews, tell people, etc.

Sorry but i gotta lol @ dangonay "all 4 get court dates" yea, cause 4 different people gonna show up for separate court dates over $500 when people these days can barely commit to having lunch together, not happening.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #80
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

OP, judging from your initial post. Seems like you were dead set on not owning up or unaware how much damage you've caused to this company. And now you're trying to weasel your way out on technicality.

They have $3000 of you and your friends in deposit. You damaged 2 jet skis which cost brand new $8000 each (not the $3500 you failed to google price).
If these jets skis arent written off. The repair bill for 2 machines would be close to your $3000 deposit if not more. Have you even reached out to find a comprise? Or you gung-ho on ruining a business and making this a messy legal situation?

I just wanna know what you're trying to accomplish here and what if any monies you are seeking.
In the mean time. Tell the 2 idiots who collided into each to to grow up and reimburse their friends deposit.

Last edited by Ludepower; 09-08-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #81
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Why should the company be entitled to the $3k? Unless in the contract it specifically says that if you go out as a group, and if one or more machine gets damaged, then the WHOLE groups deposit is kept. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I have never seen it before.

What the OP needs to do is go read back his own contract again. Line by line. If none of that clause is in there, everybody gets their deposit back minus the 2 people who got their ski's damaged.

As mentioned before, if you go rent tuxs as a group (say one groom and 4 grooms men), each person is responsible for their own tux. If one person damages that tux, that said person is responsible for that tux and they get charged for it (whether it be in a damage deposit form or the repair bill). Not the groom, and not the other grooms men.

From personal experience, me and some buddies rented scooters. We were responsible for our own scooters. One of our friends bailed on the scooter. That friends deductible was kept. Not the whole groups.

The damage deposit/deductible should and would have been stated on the waiver they signed. That is what the company can legally keep, nothing less, and nothing more.

If the ski's are worth that much, maybe the company should have upped the damage deposit/deductible to prevent people from dicking around and damaging the equipment.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #82
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
But whose credit card do they charge the one that was on file for the machine or the credit card of the one riding it?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #83
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
how about just pay for the fucking damage, pay back the guys who had their deposit taken, and move on as a lesson learned? leave the reviews, tell people, etc.

Sorry but i gotta lol @ dangonay "all 4 get court dates" yea, cause 4 different people gonna show up for separate court dates over $500 when people these days can barely commit to having lunch together, not happening.
So be a pussy and let others walk all over you? Sorry, I don't let assholes get away with anything. Otherwise they just keep on fucking over the next person and so on.

And they won't need to go to 4 court dates. Once the first person wins it's very likely the company will pay the others back. And as I stated earlier, they might get $1,500 each if the judge trebles the damages (which is why someone needs to talk to a lawyer). Hell, after a call from a lawyer they might not even need to go to court.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #84

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
I've been reading thorugh this thread, and it's hard for me to form an opinion without more information:

- On the full extent of the damage (I'm surprised OP never took any pictures)

- The rental company's side of the story on how the OP and his friends were actually handling the machines (were they being reckless/careless?),

- Seeing the rental contract details in full.

Until then, I think internet lynch mob needs to stay in its cage.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #85
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:

Please don't listen to this. Normally I'm all for people admitting to their faults and owning up, but unless something is missing that the OP never told us, sounds like you're getting screwed
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #86

so much stupid comments made by some ppl in this thread. Put yourself in my shoes. It wasnt like we were purposely trashing the skiis. Im pretty sure we all full throttle the jetskiis, why not? It was thrilling but yeah my friends got too close and couldnt avoid each other cuz skiis cant do sharp turns.

Shit happens but why should they be taking it from my pocket? Why should "I" be owing up to it when I didnt do shit? My friends already apologized, and understands they should be not be receiving their deposits.

end of the day, everyone have their opinions, oh well
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #87
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
This place should have insurance on the rentals (I assume) the deposit should be to cover the deductible.

Recon don't listen to the clowns saying your screwing the rental place. The rental place fucked up in their policies and are just tucking you over to try and recover as much money as possible.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #88

Quote:

So you rent a car and get into accident. By your logic the correct course of action is to pay the rental place for a new car?

This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #89
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:02 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #90

And those who think my buddies didnt return our deposits are stupid as fck. Ofc they did and I had already as mentioned before, it is how they ran their business and treated us. Rental places obviously would want take this situation as an advantage to get as much money as they can.

/thread
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
They basically paid your friends bill with your money, how else do you expect them to collect the money owed for damages? Ever hear of the phrase "you can't get blood from a stone"? It's much easier for your friends to pay you back than it is for the rental company to go after your friends. In the end your friends fucked them over by crashing their jet skis, I don't know why people are rooting for your group to get off scot-free. $3,000 may be a bit overkill but the rental company definitely deserves some form of compensation.

Also, way to sound like a fob in the Yelp review you posted. It's pretty brutal you're going to such an extent to fuck over their business considering your group crashed 2 jet skis. You stated the jet-skis are $3,500 new, which in itself is defamation because no jet skis are $3,500 new. You make it sound like they rent out ghetto jet skis when in reality they're $8,000+.
They aren't entitled to go about getting the money from the group In that manner. Legally the rental place should be going after two individuals who actually crashed in order to recover their losses.

Taking the money from the others in the group was no doubt easier but completely unfair to the people who didn't crash.

How would you like it if you rented a boat from this place and while you were out on the boat they decided to keep your deposit because two guys on jet skis crashed?

This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #92
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:03 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #93
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
They basically paid your friends bill with your money, how else do you expect them to collect the money owed for damages? Ever hear of the phrase "you can't get blood from a stone"? It's much easier for your friends to pay you back than it is for the rental company to go after your friends. In the end your friends fucked them over by crashing their jet skis, I don't know why people are rooting for your group to get off scot-free. $3,000 may be a bit overkill but the rental company definitely deserves some form of compensation.

Also, way to sound like a fob in the Yelp review you posted. It's pretty brutal you're going to such an extent to fuck over their business considering your group crashed 2 jet skis. You stated the jet-skis are $3,500 new, which in itself is defamation because no jet skis are $3,500 new. You make it sound like they rent out ghetto jet skis when in reality they're $8,000+.

either that is true sarcasm or that is the dumbest fucking logic ever. as mentioned above, if you crash a rental car, do they charge you the full cost of replacing the car and then you recover the costs by asking your passengers for money back?

Quote:
They didn't charge some random guy who rented a boat, because they can't. The two have nothing in common other than they were on the same lake at the same time. They charged members of a group that were going "full throttle" and responsible for crashing 2 jet skis..

OP is just mad that they were rude and made them feel bad for crashing .... I'd be pissed off too if you crashed my jet skis

they charge the 2 people that is one file for renting out those 2 skis. hence the importance of their paper work. once again, all they can do is legally take whatever the damage deposit/deductible was stated on the waiver/contract. they can't charge the whole group. each ski has its own waiver form.

whatever the group decides to do (be stupid or not, accidents, etc.) is up to the group. thats why the waiver is in place to put the responsibility of damages on the person renting out the ski. not the whole group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
But whose credit card do they charge the one that was on file for the machine or the credit card of the one riding it?
it depends on how they operate i would think. when i rented scooters, they took our drivers license and credit card info for each scooter. 6 different scooters, 6 different waivers/contracts. 6 different drivers license and credit. but it should be primarily charged to the person riding the machine. it is usually their credit card thats on file with that particular ski.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #94

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
They didn't charge some random guy who rented a boat, because they can't. The two have nothing in common other than they were on the same lake at the same time. They charged members of a group that were going "full throttle" and responsible for crashing 2 jet skis..

OP is just mad that they were rude and made them feel bad for crashing .... I'd be pissed off too if you crashed my jet skis

Two people out of the group crashed, they charged all six including the four that returned their ski's in good shape and had nothing to do with it. They all signed individual waivers, gave individual credit cards and got on their own jet skis. How on earth in anyone's mind can it be OK to charge the guys who had nothing to do with it the damage deposit?

The damages need to be paid but they need to be paid by the guys who did the damage. You can't be taking money from customers that had nothing to do with it other then the fact that they are friends with the guys who crashed. This is so ridiculous, I'm mind blown that anyone could think what the Jet Ski company did was OK. The two guys that damaged the Ski's should pay for all the damages but the problem now is the company is being so dick there is no way to tell what the damages really are. This situation was handled so badly that if there was ever a need to go in front of a judge this is on of those situations.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
This place should have insurance on the rentals (I assume) the deposit should be to cover the deductible.

Recon don't listen to the clowns saying your screwing the rental place. The rental place fucked up in their policies and are just tucking you over to try and recover as much money as possible.
I've rented from a bunch of different places as I've said earlier in this thread, ny one place has ever had any form of insurance

Why would they insure a bunch of people who rarely if ever have operated vehicles like this? This is nothing like renting a car.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #96
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Old 09-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #97

Lol and to even consider that you were "operating responsibly" when people are crashin into each other is ludacris.

No pictures of damage, no records of conversations that occurred at time of incident, accepting the situation at the time. Take it to court! Have fun with that.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #98
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
I've rented from a bunch of different places as I've said earlier in this thread, ny one place has ever had any form of insurance

Why would they insure a bunch of people who rarely if ever have operated vehicles like this? This is nothing like renting a car.
Good point. I don't think i've ever heard of the option to buy insurance when renting those but I think some properly run boat rental businesses do offer it. I think it's a more of a way to make extra revenue than actually for damage.

Either way, I think it's more about doing business the right way. Doesn't make sense to charge everyone when each had their own. Isn't it stupid on the part of the rental company to only charge a $500 deductible or whatever amount it is being less than what the skii thing is worth if in case of a crash, they have no other means of getting funds to fix it or replace it? I'm sure they must have some kind of damage insurance for their own "goods" with the 500 they paid enough to cover the deductible they have to pay their insurers. In that case, it seems like they are just trying to pocket extra cash from you guys thinking you'll bend over for them. If they don't have insurance or whatever on them, then they shouldn't get rewarded for being dumb business owners by letting them compensate by withholding money from people that weren't involved in the crash.

I don't get the debate, it's simply contract law. Each contract is with who ever signs it and you can't hold someone else responsible if they aren't legally a party to the contract. Sadly, they fucked you. Funny thing is, you can correct this, i'm sure any competent lawyer would love to take this file as it's easy money for them. But i bet the consultation fees and document fees will be almost as much as what the rental company owes you. I don't recall reading if you did a charge back with your credit card company, not sure how that works but maybe start there.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #99
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Seems a little sketch. If what you claim is 100% true, i don't know why not just you, but your friends are in small claims court right now for what it seems a pretty cut and dry case.

Honestly, even though you're technically in the right (if what you claim is true), it's hard to sympathize when obviously you and your group are clowning around on rentals. I've rented jet skis before. Other than a waiver, and instructions on how to operate the vehicles, they also give you safety rules and outlines such as perimiter limits and minimum safety distances between jet skis and other watercraft in the vicinity; not just for the protection of the rental equipment, but for the safety of you and others as well, before they let you go out and operate said jet skis. Obviously rules and guidelines your group chose to ignore.

Adding the fact that you fraudulently rented a jet ski for someone who wasn't eligible to rent one already speaks volumes that neither you also entered a contractual agreement in good faith anyways, so i find your expectations on others entering an agreement with you a little humorous.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #100
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

Insurance may not be offered to the people renting the gear; rather, the company may have insurance on their vehicles that covers everyone that rents it. It's like some trucking companies that own their own trucks. The insurance doesn't necessarily fall upon the current driver, rather the company itself insures the truck for it's employees. I know it's not entirely the same thing, but still. Plus I do know for a fact that there are boat companies out there that have insurance coverage for renters. The deposit fee is there to cover the deductible, should something happen. I've rented a couple speed boats up here in the Interior in the past and they showed me how their insurance works.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: