REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Temporary Insurance. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697576-temporary-insurance.html)

KDMofo 08-20-2014 12:17 PM

Temporary Insurance.

So long story short, my temporary insurance paper was ripped off the back of my car. Can I print another one and place it back on? or can I just write the numbers down and put it back up?

Reason why it wasn't inside was because previous owner tinted the fuck out of the rear so you can't see shit out of them.

ninjatune 08-20-2014 01:02 PM

Best bet is to go to the autoplan agency and have another one printed. There may be a fee. If you think someone has taken it to use it on another vehicle, I'd report it on non-emergency in case they get caught and try to implicate you.

underscore 08-20-2014 01:19 PM

Does it have to be on the outside if the windows are tinted? I was told to put it on the inside regardless.

inv4zn 08-20-2014 01:50 PM

You can put it on the inside, but you may get pulled over.

When I had temps taped inside the back with 5% tint, I was pulled over 3 times coming home from Metrotown to Lougheed...no ticket or anything, but they just wanted to make sure.

KDMofo 08-20-2014 01:53 PM

Ninjatune, naw I work in Whalley so a shady ass crackheads probably ripped it off.

Autoplan agency wont give me a new one, they told me to photocopy the one in front and stick it back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8519092)
Does it have to be on the outside if the windows are tinted? I was told to put it on the inside regardless.

I rather not get pulled over because a police officer thinks I'm driving with out insurance and then get fined or a VI for having a dark tint.

steveo1115 08-20-2014 03:59 PM

You can tint the back window just not the sides or windshield

fliptuner 08-20-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo1115 (Post 8519144)
You can tint the back window just not the sides or windshield

You can tint the side windows, as long as they're behind the driver.

sho_bc 08-20-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8519105)
You can put it on the inside, but you may get pulled over.

Incorrect. You must clearly display your temporary operator's permit, as it says on the TOP and in the MVA. It is a $196 fine for improper display of plate (permit in this case).

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMofo (Post 8519106)
Autoplan agency wont give me a new one, they told me to photocopy the one in front and stick it back.

I rather not get pulled over because a police officer thinks I'm driving with out insurance and then get fined or a VI for having a dark tint.

As for replacing the TOP, the autoplan agent should be treating it the same as if it were a licence plate, as should you. Have you reported it stolen? Also, if you've noticed, the front tag and the rear tag of the TOP are different. If I saw someone running two identical front tags, one in the front and one in the back, I would be stopping that person and making sure that no Criminal offence (fraud, stolen vehicle, etc) was taking place, thereby potentially further disrupting the driver's/occupants' day.

sebberry 08-20-2014 06:54 PM

^ So what would you advise someone to do to securely place the TOP on the back of a vehicle either with tinted windows, no windows or a shallow slope to the rear window that would make mounting it in a vertical position impossible?

sho_bc 08-20-2014 07:00 PM

I would recommend that people use their imagination a bit. You know, using the same screws that they would use to mount their metal plate.

Leave the rear portion of the TOP in the plastic pouch provided by the autoplan agent (provides a nice weather barrier) and then screw the screws back into the mounting bracket, through the pouch/TOP. I've done that with TOPs for my motorcycle and cars. Works perfectly.

fliptuner 08-20-2014 07:25 PM

Yeah, keep it in the plastic cover and either tape it to the outside of the glass or where the license plate goes.

sho_bc 08-20-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8519225)
Yeah, keep it in the plastic cover and either tape it to the outside of the glass or where the license plate goes.

If you use the screws to secure it to the licence plate bracket (with or without the plate still there), you can avoid the wind pulling it off/defeating the tape, as well as the rain defeating the tape.

inv4zn 08-20-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8519178)
Incorrect. You must clearly display your temporary operator's permit, as it says on the TOP and in the MVA. It is a $196 fine for improper display of plate (permit in this case).

Well the autoplan person that printed mine (and saw my car), as well as the 6 or so officers that pulled me over at various points on my commute had no problem with it.

YMMV, obviously.

sho_bc 08-21-2014 04:44 AM

The autoplan agent's job is to sell you insurance. Once they have your money, their job is done. As for the police officers, you'll find some that will ticket and some that won't. Just like some will ticket you for going 65 in a 50 and some won't. Doesn't make it legal to have it pinned up in a place you know its not visible.