REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Odd deposit situation

Just wondering if anyone has any unbiased input on this situation.. I won't say who's who, but here it is..

Prospect tenants paid a security deposit on August 18th, 2014 for a move-in on September 1st, 2014. A receipt was issued by the landlord to the tenants that states "Damage deposit for [address]". Landlord considers the suite taken, and rejects all other inquiries about the suite.

On August 21st (3 days later), said prospect tenants contacted landlord that they will not be requiring the rental space anymore and are seeking their deposit back.

No agreements or tenancy forms were signed, and tenants have not moved in yet.

Landlord is now forced to find new tenants before September 1st. (9 days)

Does the landlord have the right to retain a portion or all of the deposit? Or do the prospect tenants have the right to receive their full deposit back?

My perspective: Landlord can retain all of the deposit, plus losses of September's rent. However, tenants never moved in, never signed any forms, and were never officially "tenants." Might be a situation that's up to the arbitrator, because both sides do have a solid argument.

HMMMmmmmm......
Advertisement

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Isn't it a bit stupid on both parties side to have not signed anything when the deposit was handed over?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
The lease should've been signed at the time the deposit was given.

Tough spot either way but the tenant should be held liable for wasting the owner's time (logically speaking).

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Isn't it a bit stupid on both parties side to have not signed anything when the deposit was handed over?
totally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
The lease should've been signed at the time the deposit was given.

Tough spot either way but the tenant should be held liable for wasting the owner's time (logically speaking).
Should be. But you never know how the arbitrator weighs things.. Tenants never moved in, never damaged anything, it's not the tenant's responsibility to have the landlord find tenants to take their spot in time.

I have a feeling it's going to be close to 50/50. Landlord will probably get to keep half of it or something.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #5

I think the landlord would be lucky to get anything.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
PJ

I spoke to an RTO officer and explained both sides of the story.

Basically, the tenant can issue a formal request for their deposit back, and the landlord has 15 days to either challenge it or return the deposit. BUT, if the landlord doesn't return it and the challenge doesn't stick, the tenant has a right to receive double their deposit back.

BUT.

If the landlord challenges it and wins, then he has a right to keep the deposit PLUS any missed rental time, pro-rated.

(This is if the arbitrator decides on 100% one way or the other)

It'd be interesting to see how things actually play out if landlord and tenants decide to go the distance with this thing. I almost want to drag it out just to see.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
would the realistic approach in this instant be to mutually agree to bypass arbitration and all the paperwork and split the deposit 50/50? since they didn't sign on the spot they both fucked up and reasonable people would accept some responsibility and be happy somewhere in the middle?

who are we kidding this is gonna get dragged out

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
i think in this case the landlord would probably want something more than 50/50. landlord was expecting the tenants to move in and get rent for the month of September and now their hooped. both parties dun goofed.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
PJ

A 50/50 settlement has been put on the table. Not sure what the verdict is going to be yet.

It's interesting because if this dragged out, both parties are at risk of losing double+. And it doesn't seem like it's a sure thing for either side.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
i think in this case the landlord would probably want something more than 50/50. landlord was expecting the tenants to move in and get rent for the month of September and now their hooped. both parties dun goofed.
Both parties agree that 50/50 is on the table until the end of the day, but the choice has not been made yet.

Did a lot of reading, and it seems like RTO seems to favor the tenants more often than not.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

I'm assuming the deposit was by check, and that's the proof the "tenants" have that they gave the landlord any money?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
PJ

Just to make the scenario even more interesting, deposit was made by cash. Landlord issued a signed receipt saying "$x.xx Damage Deposit for [address]", with the landlord's signature on it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I would love to hear the tenants definition of a deposit
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
The way I see it, the land lord should give the deposit back after he finds a new tenant prorated for the time it took.

Seems like the most fair way to each party. Renter went back on the deal and land lord said no to other tenants.

Other side of the coin is, land lord could call back those other tenants and say the place is up again and offer 50% off first months rent.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Just to make the scenario even more interesting, deposit was made by cash. Landlord issued a signed receipt saying "$x.xx Damage Deposit for [address]", with the landlord's signature on it. Nothing more, nothing less.
So they took the time to issue a receipt but not to sign everything else? I know I'm not a landlord but...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #16
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
The way I see it, the land lord should give the deposit back after he finds a new tenant prorated for the time it took.

Seems like the most fair way to each party. Renter went back on the deal and land lord said no to other tenants.

Other side of the coin is, land lord could call back those other tenants and say the place is up again and offer 50% off first months rent.
The problem with this solution is that there's nothing stopping the landlord from getting new tenants in right away, charge full deposit and rent, and not letting the previous "tenant" know that the space has been occupied until the month is up.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
PJ

So it seems like a conclusion has been reached. I'll update you guys with the verdict when everything has been wrapped up and finalized.

(It's interesting one... definitely brings up a loophole.)

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #18

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Land lord should be actively looking for new tenants and keep proof of that. If he does not find a new renter by the first keep the money. If it ends up at the RTB landlord should win because the renter will have to admit he put down a deposit.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

if the receipt says "damage deposit" then i would look put that to the side of the would-be-renter. If it only says "deposit" then that would be on the landlord. If the landlord has connections to other landlords, then he can just warn others about the possibility of this happening to them but from the beginning, a signed lease form should have been done stating the intent to rent
Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #20

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
if the receipt says "damage deposit" then i would look put that to the side of the would-be-renter. If it only says "deposit" then that would be on the landlord. If the landlord has connections to other landlords, then he can just warn others about the possibility of this happening to them but from the beginning, a signed lease form should have been done stating the intent to rent
Why would someone give a damage deposit if they are not going to rent the place? The only reason you give a damage deposit is if you are agreeing to rent the place.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
^

True but there is a distinction between first months rent and a damage deposit. The damage deposit is to cover just that, damages to the property. They never moved in no damages good have been done so I don't see how it wouldn't be returned.

We all know what the intent was but IMO when it comes down to it I don't really see how it can play out any other way as far as the money goes. I could see the landlord coming after that person for his own damages if it costs them money by not having it rented for the first of the month but that's a separate issue. I've never been a landlord or a renter I've always owned since moving out of my parents house and I could be totally wrong but it makes sense to me.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #22
PJ

Previous conclusion withdrawn.

Landlord/Tenant meeting again on Thursday.

Will update when details are finalized.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Sounds like both sides are "all-in"

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #24
PJ

So. Case over.

Short answer: Tenants win everything.

Full story: Before I start, I'm gonna go ahead and say that I was one of the tenants. For some reason people here thought I was, or friends with, the landlord. Even got a few PM's with landlord advice and rental inquiries. (But really, thank you for the concern! )

Bit of a read. Might wanna crack open a beer.

Spoiler!

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 08-28-2014 at 08:04 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #25

You guys backed out of a deal but at least you owned up to it and made, what I think, is a reasonable offer to concede half the deposit.

My guess is that the landlord was pissed after he got bad advice from his friends/family, leading to his decision not to give you the cheque.

If I were in his shoes, I'd probably be happy to take the 1/2 and not have to deal with "flakey" tenants for the next year+.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by: