REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

asphalt spray off on new car paint. advice needed asap

Hey guys,

Need advice/help. So our street got new pavement/asphalt. The car was parked in our driveway which is set back a bit from the street and just noticed yesterday before washing the car that there is small specks of black asphalt ALL over the paint/trim and even windows it seems.

The car is brand new and silver color so it is noticeable when u look up close. called the company that did the road and they said to go to All Care Solutions on lougheed hwy (they have an account there)

Do you guys know what the process would be to remove these specks of asphalt without damaging the paint. I have clay bared before and I believe that will take it off but considering how many specks there is it would involve alot of rubbing and I am worried about swirls etc. I have also read wd-40 works?

Anyone know anything about All Care Solutions? I really want to know all my info before going there because I don't want it to become worse or the paint further damaged by careless work by a detailer. I want to make sure they know what they are doing.

Let me know. thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
I am Hook'd on RS

The 1st thing I would do is call All care Solutions.Explained what happened,and how they would remove the tar.If your not happy with the answer?

I would give Ken at Autowerks a call.He's a very helpful,and friendly Pro Detailer .I"m sure he could steer you in the right direction.Whether if you want to do it ,or if you like him to do it for you.

As you mention before wd 40. Just don't like the wiping motion to remove it. Wiping may scratch your clear coat.

Last edited by Gsxrghostrider; 08-28-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Gsxrghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
This thread has already been made. Why is there a second one copy pasted
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
This thread has already been made. Why is there a second one copy pasted
someone suggested posting in here instead.....
Old 08-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
DO NOT USE CLAYBAR before you know exactly what is on the paint

if there is anything hard in the specs you will scratch the shit out of the car trying to lay bar them off.

a professional detailer would give the car a good wash, degrease the car, pressure wash, use a water based prep solvent then repeat pressure washing... if there were ny spots left a plastic razor blade and some prep solvant. Once any sort of hard residue is gone then you can claybar the car..

as for the windows you can use fine steel wool

but, if the residue is just tar specs claybar should do the trick.. just make sure you arnt claybaring rocks into your paint
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Good advice NOT to use a clay bar to begin with. Road tar can have lots of grit in it so using a clay bar can cause more damage. I'm not sure if I'd use WD40 but a mild solvent should be safe to remove it.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
vegetable oil dissolves tar.

detergent emulsifies vegetable oil.

water washes off detergent.

test on an inconspicuous area. Give the oil some time to work.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote