REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #51
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

April 17, 2015

Based on the many comments and questions we’ve received in the last few weeks regarding the physical track itself, it’s obvious that this is the most important information people are excited to learn more about. Thus, in the upcoming weeks, we will be highlighting the various areas of the track to you in preparation for the final reveal. In the image below, you will see some of the details within one of our highly technical corner combinations. As this is still only a very high level detail plan, the experience of our track design team and the abilities of our highly skilled team of builders will ensure that every centimetre of the track is built to the design specifications that will allow it to drain the way it should and provide grip and excitement at world-class levels.

A meeting at the newly “Tilke” redesigned F1 track in Mexico, home to the first F1 race in November will take place later this month. We want to ensure that designers, engineers and builders understand the many facets of building a safe and exciting track that will serve motorsport enthusiasts for many years to come.

Here are a few Vancouver Island Motorsport Resort track facts:
Maximum incline: 12.5% between corner 14 and 15
Maximum slope: 11.5% between corner 4 and 5
Track width: 10 m
19 turns, 7 left turns and 12 right turns
Top speed 211 km/h
Number of short cuts: 4
Track lay out combinations:
Extremely lively topography
Hanging and banked corners in all sections
Highest skill driving class category
Not designed for international racing and for that, it was designed with more excitement and character. A pure test and presentation track with the possibility for club sport activities.
Run off areas designed with the newest technology and standards preventing damages to cars and bikes and offering possibility to correct and return safely on to the track.
Advertisement
Flatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPY View Post
Hello everyone,
The track is going to be located north of Duncan just off of hwy 18. I have read some of the comments here and see that you are under the impression ( as I was) that the track will cater to the middle class people with their Hot Rods and performance cars well sorry to disappoint but it is for members only with their $100.000+ cars . It is privately owned land so G A I N can do with it as they wish and from what I found is that there is nothing that can be done about it, short of some one organising a petition ( not me I couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery ) but I think you could go and watch and wish for a fee. Does anyone have any other info on this.. I am still awaiting a response from islandmotorsportresort.com to my Questions about this issue.

It is defiantly not another western speed way. Look at area 27 that is what they are going for.

Membership - Atlanta Motorsports Park | Atlanta Motorsports Park Another example.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #53
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Hello everyone,
The track is going to be located north of Duncan just off of hwy 18. I have read some of the comments here and see that you are under the impression ( as I was) that the track will cater to the middle class people with their Hot Rods and performance cars well sorry to disappoint but it is for members only with their $100.000+ cars . It is privately owned land so G A I N can do with it as they wish and from what I found is that there is nothing that can be done about it, short of some one organising a petition ( not me I couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery ) but I think you could go and watch and wish for a fee. Does anyone have any other info on this.. I am still awaiting a response from islandmotorsportresort.com to my Questions about this issue.
It is a privately owned track. That being said there will be days when the track will be empty. Odds are high that GAIN will rent it out to reputable organizations/clubs for track days (eg VMSC and VIRPCA).

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #54
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Not sure how anyone can say that there will be days the track is not in use and that there is a high chance that they will rent to organisations and or clubs. As the reason for bringing it up here is the fact we have a longer season for their members to use it. But if so it still means that one would have to be a member of a specific organisation or club that may or may not have track time . So in my opinion it would be those organisations / clubs with the most monies. Also just found out yesterday that they have not got planning permission yet, the only permit they hold is to deforest the land at this time. But I for one believe that the people of the Island deserve a definitive answer of the possible usage and not just blind us with the track spec's as a spin doctor would do.. The term carpet bagger also comes to mind. sorry for being a bit political.I am sure most of you would like an answer also instead of assuming things
SWAMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #55
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Also just found out yesterday that they have not got planning permission yet, the only permit they hold is to deforest the land at this time.
If this is true, then this whole track adventure is a LONG WAY from fruition.

Mark
Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
If this is true, then this whole track adventure is a LONG WAY from fruition.

Mark
maybe that is why they are waiting to announce more info, before the locals get out their pitch forks. They shut down a planned go kart track pretty quick
Old 04-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #57

Home Builders, Home Design, Building, Superb Construction, Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, BC
is on site, but not sure what they are doing I only saw a bobcat or two moving dirt. has anyone looked from mount provost to see if the site is visible from there?
I did see a post that showed the location via Google it is actually another 200 yards toward Lake Cowichan directly across from Mina Drive.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatsix View Post
maybe that is why they are waiting to announce more info, before the locals get out their pitch forks. They shut down a planned go kart track pretty quick
People already have the pitchforks out.

Motor Sport Resort piquing public concern
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #59

Hello again I have just received a response from Mr Peter Trzewik of GAIN

Dear Richard,

Our Motor Sports Resort will be a facility that has a few different uses.

It will be a membership club for people that want to make their car and driving on a track to get better a hobby or passion. They will find car storage, track ready service, assistance in setting the car up in suspension and performance to get better lap times. They will also have a nice club house available to them that allows them to spend the day driving and talking with like-minded people.

The track will be blocked for 15 days per month for the 2-300 members. The membership will be limited to this number so that all of them have enough track time available.

However, there will be time every month where the facilities can be rented by companies, clubs and corporations. They can then bring people and cars there to use the facilities for the track.

I saw the comment on a couple of forums on line that this is a facility for $100,000 plus cars and I think the value of the car makes no difference. There will be cars in and above that price range and I look forward seeing them take on the many corners and setting new lap records. However, they will have to be safe cars as we don’t want to see anybody hurt because they drive a car fast that puts them in danger. They will also have to be in a track ready condition to assure safety and as we want to operate a facility that is very clean and tidy, they can’t be leaking oil all over the place.

But a fast track car doesn’t have to be expensive to enjoy. Our Porsche store is preparing a 944 cup car to showcase to their clients the simplicity of a well-balanced car and teach them how to drive without the electronics of a modern sports car.

I hope that clears things up a bit

Have a great weekend,

Peter Trzewik
even after reading this response I feel it is for the select few with lots of $$$$.
What will they charge the companies/clubs and the CORPORATIONS ? They (clubs companies, corp) in turn will have to make a profit so what would the average Joe pay ?
I wonder if a Honda prelude owned by the kid who works at Tim Hortons or Burger King would be allowed on the track?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #60
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Given the reply, I think GAIN has made it pretty obvious that the venue will be available for rental outside of GAIN (whatever club or membership they decide to call themselves). However, by the sound of it, this track rental cost is also not going to be cheap. Somehow, I get the impression that this track rental cost is going to be more costly than renting some of the nearby US tracks. But I will remain optimistic until actual rental pricing is announced.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #61

My last post was in response to this query below.

I was very happy to hear of the track resort going in the Cowichan Valley. So after reading some news articles, I am wondering if your facility has any accommodation for the local people and their Hot Rods and performance cars (that are way under the $100.000 mark) or is all this intended for the select rich ? or is it possible for us locals to become members? If so is the membership fee going to be affordable. I ask this because most people I have talked to are under the impression that it is for anyone who wishes to use it (providing that the vehicles pass all safety inspections and pay the required fee)

Thanks,
Richard.

PS revscene don't have count this as my fifth post as I should have included it in my last post .
Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #62

I cant get an answer on the membership fee or track rental fee Mr Peter Tzrwik is avoiding my questions...

to Peter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your response to my query, It does answer some of my questions . I do have a few more.

What is the price for membership? any available?

What would be the price for a club to rent the track per day/weekend or week?

The majority of us Islanders do not own Porsche's or the like. I myself own a first gen firebird. a friend owns a 1978 Mazda RX7 fully restored are these kinds of car worthy enough for the motor sport resort, or do they have to have modern upgraded suspension?

Please forgive my bombarding you with these questions as there are so many rumors as to what the facility is about ..First it was rumored that it is going to be a noise park ( drag/ circuit/Karting / motorcycles and concerts) and now we hear its mainly for the out of country rich and real race car driver's ( Sebastian Vettel , Fernando Alonso ) to practice in the offseason

So again please forgive my questioning and hope that this all works out for everyone including the underpaid locals who have made this Island (with blood sweat and tears) to what it is today

Thanks in advance,

Good morning Richard,

You are right, there have been many rumors and it is amazing how a private facility has become something so many people have an opinion about.

Like any other facility it will not be one for all. Spring Mountain, Monticello, the Thermal club and all other facilities have a certain group of people they appeal to and some they don’t. Even very small facilities like Western Speedway aren’t open for everybody and every use and many don’t want to or can use the facility. Our venue will for sure not have a drag strip and it will not be a motor sport facility that holds loud events at night time. No neighbor has to be worried as the highway between them and the track is louder than anything coming from the track. We have loud excavators, compactors and trucks driving in an out and you can’t hear any of that from the neighbor’s road. On top of that will we have more vegetation at the areas surrounding our property to keep more noise in and out and to give us the private feeling we are looking for.

It is way too early to talk about all the details but there will be blocks of days available to clubs, organisations and companies and if you and your friends are in a classic car club (based on the age of the two cars you mentioned), then it will be the clubs decision to approach the staff at the resort and start a conversation. This team will be in place in January 2016.

By the way the person in charge of the German Auto Import Performance driving program, and that will be the head person for those activities in the resort drives a 72 Datsun 510 in Motor sport events and is very proud of it.

Right now I answer e mails because there isn’t anybody working at the resort yet. So far we have started, beside the construction team, to work with our dealer group marketing team on things like the website. Later this year the HR team will be looking for the right staff and then our whole dealer group will involve all dealerships until the grand opening.

We will also have to look for a capable Stig, get a reasonable priced car and need a lap time board.

All the best

Peter Trzewik

Last edited by SWAMPY; 04-30-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #63
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
We will also have to look for a capable Stig, get a reasonable priced car and need a lap time board.
LOL~ Well, at least I gotta say I appreciate his good sense of humour!
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #64

Only the 200-300 members (membership was full before they even started this project go figure) will be allowed to use there own cars, the rest have to rent from them or the car clubs ,organisations, and corporations and It isn't cheep Just to give you an example what to expect below is a form from spring mountain motor sport track
3601 Highway 160, Pahrump, NV. 89048 800-391-6891 Fax 775-727-6366

2013/2014 Track Rental Agreement
An agreement between Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, LLC & Organizer & Event Information

2013/2014 Track Rental Agreement
An agreement between Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, LLC & Organizer & Event Information

_ Manufacturer Full Course Track Rental

 Weekdays (Monday – Friday) = $20,000/day

 Weekends (Saturday – Sunday) = $20,000/day

_ East/South Full 3.1 Mile Course (New)

 Weekdays (Monday – Friday) = $8,000/day

 Weekends (Saturday – Sunday) = $8,500/day

West/North Full 3.1 Mile Course

 Weekdays (Monday – Friday) = $7,000/day

 Weekends (Saturday – Sunday) = $7,500/day

East 2.1 Mile Road Course (New)

 Weekdays (Monday – Friday) = $6,000/day

 Weekends (Saturday – Sunday) = $6,500/day

North/ South 2.2 Mile Road Course

 Weekdays (Monday – Friday) = $4,500/day

 Weekends (Saturday – Sunday) = $5,000/day

Radical Loop” 1.5 Mile West Course

 Weekdays (Monday – Friday) = $3,000/day

 Weekends (Saturday – Sunday) = $3,500/day

_____ Skid Pad

 East Skid Pad (New)

Weekdays/Weekends= $2,500/day
 West Skid Pad

Weekdays/Weekends= $2,500/day

ll Events with 16 or more participants require a Track/Event Supervisor @ $200.00/day. This fee includes an individual at the gate for waiver signatures and gate control in and out of the facility during the event, and paddock safety/control during the event.
• A 50% DEPOSIT IS REQUIRED TO RESERVE THE DATE; BALANCE IS DUE 30 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EVENT. Refunds will be issued upon written notice of cancellation at least 60 days prior to rental date. In the event of damage to the track and/or track structures (walls, buildings, paddock, fuel spills) the organizer will be held responsible for all repair costs. For spills on track or paddock you must use the dry sweep provided by Spring Mountain. Charges are $25.00 per ½ hour for cleanup and $15.00 per bag of Dry Sweep used by Spring Mountain. DO NOT USE DIRT!
• Ambulance Service – Event Coordinator is responsible for arrangements. Suggested Contact: Pahrump Fire Rescue Service: Toni Glines @ (775) 751-4000 ext. 228 [or] Cell: (775) 513-5576 or send an e-mail to aglines@pahrumpnv.org –or- South West Medical : ask for Mark Calabrese @ (702) 283-2767 or send an e-mail to specialevents@medicalwest.com Charges are $55.00 per hour + one hour Travel fee (average 8 hr. day = $600.00)
o All functions, including Motorcycles, are REQUIRED to have ambulance services unless otherwise agreed upon with Spring Mountain.
• Light System available instead of Corner Workers.
• Insurance Requirements: Event Coordinator is responsible for arrangements.
• All leases or organizers of events are REQUIRED to have a $5,000.000.00 liability policy. If you have your own insurance a copy of the insurance certificate must be submitted to Spring Mountain 30 days prior to the event with Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch named on the rider as additional insured. An additional option is to use Spring Mountain’s Insurance carrier to obtain insurance for your event.
Would you like to use Spring Mountain’s Insurance carrier for your event? _____________________
ALL events are REQUIRED to have insurance coverage. For questions on pricing or assistance, please call our office.
• CONVERTIBLES WITHOUT ROLL BARS ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THE TRACK DUE TO INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS.
• THE ORGANIZER MUST BE PRESENT BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WILL BE ADMITTED TO THE TRACK.
• THE ORGANIZER MUST REMAIN AT THE TRACK UNTIL ALL PARTICIPANTS HAVE LEFT THE TRACK.
• Track Rental is from 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Seasonal track times may vary). There will be an additional $100 per ½ hour charged to the organizer for ANYONE on the premises after 5PM if pre-arranged and $200 per ½ hour if NOT pre-arranged.

~ OPTIONAL SERVICE FEES AND CHARGES:
_____Building Rentals @ $2500.00/day (Please mark one)
 Club Spring Mountain Clubhouse

 Cadillac Building

TRACK RENTAL AGREEMENT PAGE 3
_____AMB Timing for your event @ $200.00 per event
• Timing is only available for the 2.2 mile and full course configurations.
• Transponders rentals are $20/day and a credit card is required to be held as a deposit.
• There is a charge to the renter of $320 plus rental fees if the transponder is not returned.
• If the transponder is damaged, we will send it into the manufacturer for repair and the organizer will be responsible for all repair costs.

_____Track Cleaning Service @ $350.00/day
Includes manpower, brooms, blower and track sweeper if needed.
Dry sweep is $15.00 per bag.
_____ Paddock Cleaning Service @ $500.00 per event
If paddock is left in an unacceptable state, this charge will apply.
_____ Cone Rental @ $50.00 per 100
(A $5.00 charge will be incurred for each cone not returned.)
_____ Would you like Fuel Available? (Yes/No)
87 Octane - $5.00/gallon (prices subject to change)
91 Octane - $6.00/gallon (prices subject to change)
100 Octane - $9.00/gallon (prices subject to change)
WAIVERS:
Event companies must have their own staff member at the gate to facilitate the signature of waivers. Spring Mountain will also have an employee at the gate to ensure our waiver is signed. No Exceptions.
Have you rented from Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch before? YES _____ NO _____
Is this a first time event for your company? YES _____ NO _____
Number of Total People Expected: __________ Number of Participants Expected: __________
(A $5 per person/day gate fee may be collected) _____Check here if the event will take care of gate fee for participants
***Organizers: If you do NOT want your staff charged for gate fees, please send a list of their names to mike@racespringmountain.com***
LIST THE TYPE OF VEHICLES THAT WILL PARTICIPATE IN YOUR EVENT: __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
Type of Event:
_____ School (car) _____ (bike) _____
_____ Club Event
_____ Race Car Testing
_____ Media Event
_____ Filming
_____ Motorcycle Testing
_____ Research/ Development

In addition to all of this a person has to have a minimum of a class one driving school training and I don't mean BC class 1 for trucks..
so looks like we is FOOKED
but for $20. you can go watch the drivers that do not want to associate with the local people as we are not like minded they will take yer money but other than that we are just Can X Icans
Old 04-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #65
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Well fuck eh. Guess i'll stick to racing on the streets.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #66
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
This is all just hearsay. Lets wait till they actually announce something before getting upset.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #67

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
At the same time let's wait til it's actually being built before we get excited.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #68

If you read my other post you will notice its not hearsay as all the info I received is from Mr. Peter Trzewik of 3 point motors ..I was sick of hearing rumors so I contacted them myself to hear it from the horses mouth only to have the important questions avoided as you can see in the post's above it seem to me they are counting on people to wait to see what happens and then its to late for anyone to do anything about it ( if there is/was anything that could/have been done about it) But alas we are Canadians so we will just bend over and say have a nice day eh , as always.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #69

Quote:
If you read my other post you will notice its not hearsay as all the info I received is from Mr. Peter Trzewik of 3 point motors ..I was sick of hearing rumors so I contacted them myself to hear it from the horses mouth only to have the important questions avoided as you can see in the post's above it seem to me they are counting on people to wait to see what happens and then its to late for anyone to do anything about it ( if there is/was anything that could/have been done about it) But alas we are Canadians so we will just bend over and say have a nice day eh , as always.
It's a private business they can run it any way they want.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #70
2-Wheelin' Mod

Hi everybody - I'v kinda been monitoring the development here in the background.

Can somebody clarify a few things for me;

-is the property being developed for the motorsports track public or private? (if public, what are the terms of the lease?)

-are the costs associated with developing the complex public or private or a combination of both?

If this is strictly a privately owned and privately funded project why the opposition to a) its development and b) the right of the owners to restrict access to their facility?

If I lived on the Island and badly wanted to compete on a track Mission and The Ridge are still where they have always been. If the Island facility is privately funded and operated they are under no obligation to make it accessible to the general public.

Certainly not trying to stir up emotions but I'm confused about the anger on the Island towards this project. Private funding = private facility. Maybe I'm missing something.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
Hi everybody - I'v kinda been monitoring the development here in the background.

Can somebody clarify a few things for me;

-is the property being developed for the motorsports track public or private? (if public, what are the terms of the lease?)

-are the costs associated with developing the complex public or private or a combination of both?

If this is strictly a privately owned and privately funded project why the opposition to a) its development and b) the right of the owners to restrict access to their facility?

If I lived on the Island and badly wanted to compete on a track Mission and The Ridge are still where they have always been. If the Island facility is privately funded and operated they are under no obligation to make it accessible to the general public.

Certainly not trying to stir up emotions but I'm confused about the anger on the Island towards this project. Private funding = private facility. Maybe I'm missing something.
It's 100% private.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #72
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
I still don't see where there is definitive info that track days won't be held there from whats been provided.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #73
Need to Seek Professional Help

How big can the track be? i.e. 3 miles long?
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #74
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Vancouver Island Motorsport Resort | Latest News Updates about the Motorsport Resort

Wow, people from Austria are paying attention to Vancouver Island!!!
Klaus T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #75
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus T View Post
Vancouver Island Motorsport Resort | Latest News Updates about the Motorsport Resort

Wow, people from Austria are paying attention to Vancouver Island!!!
From BC actually.

Was just doing a quick search about the track info someone posted in comparison is 3.1 miles long. In perspective Leguna Seca is 2.2 miles long.

How long do you expect this track to be?
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote