REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Dashcam experience/thoughts?

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying a new dashboard camera for extra security (and fun too haha) for my car. I looked around Future Shop so far and I'm interested in the Thinkware X300. Looks pretty nice and I'm willing to pay but does anyone have experience with this product or dash cams in general?
Advertisement
mushploom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65043...m-rolling.html
Old 09-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Same thing here! I'm searching for a dash cam, and there's just so much stuff out there!!!

I like Garmin, but it has some drawbacks, like a suction cup for example. I've heard that it falls off frequently and the videos are shaky. Also, Garmin has a battery, which I've heard is quite dangerous in a hot car.
dashdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #4

I have the Shadow GT680W. The thing I like the most about it is the size and it's discrete. It's a bit pricey at $100 but works great for me.

There's also the G1WH that apparently has the same specs as my dashcam and is cheap for $50~. The only thing is it's a bit bigger and not as discrete

[Tomtop] G1WH w/Novatek NT96650 Processor 1080p Dash Cam - $50.72 CAD - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

--

A lot of other users on Revscene also have the Mini 0803 and Blackvue dash cams but I'm not familiar with them. It's definitely a great investment incase you ever get into an accident and you weren't at fault
Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Stick with a brand that is known specifically for manufacturing dash cams. If you go with a general electronics brand such as Garmin, they most likely OEM / ODM their product resulting in a higher price and possibly less support vs going with the original manufacturer.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
I have the Shadow GT680W. The thing I like the most about it is the size and it's discrete. It's a bit pricey at $100 but works great for me.

There's also the G1WH that apparently has the same specs as my dashcam and is cheap for $50~. The only thing is it's a bit bigger and not as discrete

[Tomtop] G1WH w/Novatek NT96650 Processor 1080p Dash Cam - $50.72 CAD - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

--

A lot of other users on Revscene also have the Mini 0803 and Blackvue dash cams but I'm not familiar with them. It's definitely a great investment incase you ever get into an accident and you weren't at fault
How do you feel about the suction cup? I personally like Thinkware's adhesive approach better just because suction cups arent that reliable in the winter. How long have you had your dashcam?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdash View Post
Same thing here! I'm searching for a dash cam, and there's just so much stuff out there!!!

I like Garmin, but it has some drawbacks, like a suction cup for example. I've heard that it falls off frequently and the videos are shaky. Also, Garmin has a battery, which I've heard is quite dangerous in a hot car.
Really? The X300 uses a cable. I initially didnt like the fact that there would be cables hanging on my dashboard but the guy at Future Shop told me that cable organizers would be supplied to keep distractions away when I am driving
Old 09-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Blackvue 750 with GPS is the one I am looking at getting.
Like the idea of having both front and rear cameras.
Want it for my own protection in the event of an accident or something.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Blackvue 750 with GPS is the one I am looking at getting.
Like the idea of having both front and rear cameras.
Want it for my own protection in the event of an accident or something.
$350+ is pretty hefty for a product that is difficult to return though/have customer service. The one I am thinking of getting is on sale for $250 right now and the rear camera can be bought separately
Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Actually I just saw this contest on twitter:

Enter to win a THINKWARE Dash Cam

Want a reliable eyewitness by your side? Now's your chance. Enter the Sweepstake to win a THINKWARE H100 Dash Cam now.

1. RT this message with the hashtag #IwantaDashCam
2. Follow the THINKWARE Dash Cam official Twitter account (@ThinkwareCam)
3. You are automatically entered in the H100 Sweepstakes

Prize: One (1) brand new THINKWARE H100 Dash Cam.

Between September 5, 2014 and September 19, 2014 only. Must be 18+ to participate, and be located in North America.

Winner is announced at 12pm PST on September 22, 2014 via Twitter Direct Message.

LINK: http://bit.ly/1uDhuQl
Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushploom View Post
$350+ is pretty hefty for a product that is difficult to return though/have customer service. The one I am thinking of getting is on sale for $250 right now and the rear camera can be bought separately
Why would I return it?
As for customer service....its a phone call away.
Add a rear view camera to that $250 and GPS and it will add up fast.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
If you're worried about customer service/returns, then just buy from a local distributor. I got my dashcam from blackboxmycar, and haven't had any problems with their customer service.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #13

Quote:
How do you feel about the suction cup? I personally like Thinkware's adhesive approach better just because suction cups arent that reliable in the winter. How long have you had your dashcam?
It comes with the rubber suction cup but I found it useless. The dashcam also comes with a separate 3M adhesive mount (the red sticker shown below). It sticks on perfectly/doesn't fall off. The only thing is make sure you place your dashcam/3M sticker in a good spot...cause it's a bitch to take off lol

I've had mine since... July 2014ish?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
It comes with the rubber suction cup but I found it useless. The dashcam also comes with a separate 3M adhesive mount (the red sticker shown below). It sticks on perfectly/doesn't fall off. The only thing is make sure you place your dashcam/3M sticker in a good spot...cause it's a bitch to take off lol

I've had mine since... July 2014ish?
Do you find that it's too bulky? A lot of the mounts I've seen seem to be too bulky for my tastes.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Why would I return it?
As for customer service....its a phone call away.
Add a rear view camera to that $250 and GPS and it will add up fast.
cause blackvue is online only and you cant use/see the product in person prior buying?
i mean cost wise it's going to be around the same if you want the gps and rear view camera but it is optional lol
Old 09-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdash View Post
Do you find that it's too bulky? A lot of the mounts I've seen seem to be too bulky for my tastes.
It's fairly small.

I placed the mount behind my mirror so it doesn't bother me for any "bulky-ness"
Old 09-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
cause blackvue is online only and you cant use/see the product in person prior buying?
i mean cost wise it's going to be around the same if you want the gps and rear view camera but it is optional lol
Yeah I'm with mushploom on this. I want to be able to play around with the product before I get it.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #18
FB6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I have the G1WH, for $45 you can't go wrong. I also have the rear view mirror mount but it doesn't fit my rear view mirror so if anyone wants it, you can have it for $3.
FB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #19

Thanks everyone for their suggestions so far! I'm still looking but I am still quite interested in the Thinkware from Futureshop