REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Glossophobia & other anxieties

/

Last edited by pinn3r; 04-27-2015 at 12:47 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
I don't have much to say regarding glossophobia, but the whole "most of my peers lack the mental capacity to comprehend" you and the "stems from my perfectionism" leads me to believe it could be related to inflated ego more than anything.

Especially when you say you are "trying to resolve this on my own". Why? Because a psychologist lacks the mental capacity to understand you?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I don't have much to say regarding glossophobia, but the whole "most of my peers lack the mental capacity to comprehend" you and the "stems from my perfectionism" leads me to believe it could be related to inflated ego more than anything.

Especially when you say you are "trying to resolve this on my own". Why? Because a psychologist lacks the mental capacity to understand you?
My mistake, I didn't mean to sound like a douche. I can assure you I DO NOT have an inflated ego. What I was trying to say was that none of my friends would understand what I was going through, and that they'd think I'm "weird." They're all about that tough-guy, macho man facade
I've only talked to one other person about this. He used to go through the same shit I'm going through, so he could empathize
I tried telling my girlfriend about this and she thought I was nuts. Really frustrating. No support at all

Don't want to go to a psychiatrist for him/her to tell me to pop a couple of pills and screw off. This is something I could probably fight off internally; just gotta change my mindset. Been thinking about seeing a psychologist, but I wanna see what kinda options I've got

Last edited by pinn3r; 09-10-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #4

If I were you i too would want to resolve it on my own. Find that one friend who you can have a real conversation with, we all know one of those, regardless what type of friends we hang with.

Googled changing phobias and this came up :

CTRN: Change That's Right Now | How to Overcome

Honestly though, if nothing changes in the next while through your efforts, it's probably best you see one
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
My mistake, I didn't mean to sound like a douche. I can assure you I DO NOT have an inflated ego. What I was trying to say was that none of my friends would understand what I was going through, and that they'd think I'm "weird." They're all about that tough-guy, macho man facade
I've only talked to one other person about this. He used to go through the same shit I'm going through, so he could empathize
I tried telling my girlfriend about this and she thought I was nuts. Really frustrating. No support at all

Don't want to go to a psychiatrist for him/her to tell me to pop a couple of pills and screw off. This is something I could probably fight off internally; just gotta change my mindset. Been thinking about seeing a psychologist, but I wanna see what kinda options I've got
I hear you.. I don't know who your friends are so I can't say.. If you're working in Alberta or something I can get what you're saying...

That being said, I think the best way to conquer a phobia is to hit it head on... Join the local Toastmasters club, it could lead to even more opportunities on top of helping you get over your anxiety. It's going to be a rough ride at first though!
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
All friends are macho alpha males, username is pinner

Have you even tried talking to your friends about it? Real friends should be supportive, and everyone has thoughts and feelings INCLUDING your macho friends. Maybe open up
Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Old 09-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
If I were you i too would want to resolve it on my own. Find that one friend who you can have a real conversation with, we all know one of those, regardless what type of friends we hang with.

Googled changing phobias and this came up :

CTRN: Change That's Right Now | How to Overcome

Honestly though, if nothing changes in the next while through your efforts, it's probably best you see one
Thanks dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I hear you.. I don't know who your friends are so I can't say.. If you're working in Alberta or something I can get what you're saying...

That being said, I think the best way to conquer a phobia is to hit it head on... Join the local Toastmasters club, it could lead to even more opportunities on top of helping you get over your anxiety. It's going to be a rough ride at first though!
Will be looking into Toastmasters!

Also found this
as eccentric as it may sound, meditation could help...

Last edited by pinn3r; 04-27-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Closed Thread