REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #26
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Vikram Vij? Seriously? Don't get me wrong, I have a MASSIVE amount of respect for Vikram, especially in my line of work, but the guy is an impressive restauranteur while the other people on the show have built global empires.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
No, his problem is he has the same offer every time and everyone sees through it.

"Keep your equity, how about I give you a LOAN and take a 10% royalty until I get my money back then it goes down to 5% in perpetuity."

Must have worked a couple times and he's raking it in, but most times he's overly greedy and not trying to be a valuable partner. Just trying to bend over naive entrepreneurs.

That said, he is a funny guy and will be missed on the show.
Very good point, Kevin O'Leary did make the show more interesting.

Can Dragons’ Den survive in Canada without Kevin O’Leary’s big mouth?
Can Dragons? Den survive in Canada without Kevin O?Leary?s big mouth? | canada.com

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Vikram Vij? Seriously? Don't get me wrong, I have a MASSIVE amount of respect for Vikram, especially in my line of work, but the guy is an impressive restauranteur while the other people on the show have built global empires.

While technically you're 110% correct, it's a show and they're doing this for the views!

99.9% of people who watch the show will assume that generally all of the dragons are rich as fuck even when the disparity in empire size could be 1/100 or more
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:45 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
That's my first reaction as well. But Dragon's Den does get a lot of food related pitches, so maybe that's why he was even considered? Vij's does have his own line of frozen foods (no clue how successful they are though).

If anything people should wonder why David Chilton still wants to be on the show. It's so sad to see him get turned down time and time again even when he's paying a premium over other bidders.

In the coming season, I have a bad feeling Jim & Arlene will get all the good deals again.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
That's my first reaction as well. But Dragon's Den does get a lot of food related pitches, so maybe that's why he was even considered? Vij's does have his own line of frozen foods (no clue how successful they are though).

If anything people should wonder why David Chilton still wants to be on the show. It's so sad to see him get turned down time and time again even when he's paying a premium over other bidders.

In the coming season, I have a bad feeling Jim & Arlene will get all the good deals again.
Have you ever read their books? If you haven't, go to library now.
Robert Harjavec (Driven & Will to Win) and David Chilton (Wealthy Barber & Wealthy Barber Returns)

They're both good read, you can see how different these people are.

Robert Harjavec is well driven and motivated, he's always trying to get a best out of his life, he is always trying to accomplish something epic.

David Chilton on the other hand, is staying humble, lives in 1,300sq-ft house, has a tiny office on top of McDonalds(or some food chain), and tries to save his money for RRSP and all that.
He talks about savings account, compound rate, GIC, credit cards and lots of preparation for retirement, etc.

If I were to team up with someone, I'd go with Robert Harjavec, hands down. Especially after reading both of their books and getting a little sense of idea of their personality.
David Chilton is kind of boring, not trying to pursue anything, stay out of risk and trouble, just save up money so that you can get sufficient money to live after retirement.
Chilton always talks about how people don't live within their means, they should save up their money for RRSP, blah blah blah.

Whereas Robert Harjavec is a man with pretty big-picture mind and always trying pursue as much as possible.

In summary, David Chilton can't replace Robert Harjavec

I have also seen Kevin O'Leary turning down David Chilton a few times.
Some of his exact quotes were:
"I'd throw Wealthy Barber under the bus, I don't need you"
"I'm sorry but I don't need Wealthy Barber, you're nobody in the states"
Old 09-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #32

btw these are some of the books that I was talking about.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #33

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I find Shark Tank too "American". For some reason American's can't watch TV without there being human interest. Like everyone has to have a sob story or something. I find that all incredibly annoying and it definitely affects certain Sharks on the show.

That's why I'm a big fan of Kevin O'Leary. He tells it like it is and the only thing that matters is the money. Take the emotion out of the equation and all that's left is business. Learn a lot about investment and making money just from his philosophy on the show. Hey, he's the only one on the panel that's made a billion dollar deal. A $4 billion dollar deal, actually.

Problem is...no one wants to work for him because they see him as an asshole.
Kevin O'Leary apparently pocketed less than 10 million from that 4 billion dollar deal apparently. It was in the Globe and Mail magazine.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #34
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Kevin O'Leary apparently pocketed less than 10 million from that 4 billion dollar deal apparently. It was in the Globe and Mail magazine.

5 million is still a TON of hookers and blow
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
american shows always prevail when making money obviously. Kevin O leary exchange was actually a good show. Kevin and the women were barking each other like dogs all the time! I Love it!

It is sad seeing dragons den not doing so good since they left. My favorite dragon was brett wilson, you can really see his passion in his words and actions when doing deals.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #36
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
All this talk about Shark Tank but I dont see him in here.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #37
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
I met two different people who were on Canadian Dragons Den and successfully negotiated deals with the dragons. After the show ended the deals never finalized. Each dragon has a team of people who will then investigate the business, it's actually very easy for them to get out of the deal. Season 1 of the UK Dragons Den was criticized because none of the deals got finalized, everybody backed out. It just goes to show that a lot of it is for entertainment value; still love the show though.
They call it due diligence. It happens with every business deal. Otherwise people could just tell a bunch of B.S. on the show to get money.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
^ and common sense

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #39

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Have you ever read their books? If you haven't, go to library now.
Robert Harjavec (Driven & Will to Win) and David Chilton (Wealthy Barber & Wealthy Barber Returns)
I know their stories but was never fanboy enough read their biographies for an inside look (I rather read up on Buffett if I do). In regards to Chilton's books, take it for how you want, but I don't think I'm the audience he's reaching out to.

Otherwise, I agree with what you said about Chilton. He's not a good strategic partner; or at least he does a poor job of letting people know what strategic values he brings to the table. Which is exactly why I wonder why he still wants to be on the show (in not so many words).
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #40

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
They call it due diligence. It happens with every business deal. Otherwise people could just tell a bunch of B.S. on the show to get money.
LOL but people who lack common business sense won't understand that. They think the Dragon's have enough wealth that they should just go and commit to any deal based on what the pitcher says in the 10 minute pitch.

These people would not have gotten to where they are today if it wasn't for strategically planning their investments and as mentioned, having a team of smart, trained lawyers following through with due diligence.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #41
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Everyone loves to hate the heel.
Kevin made dragon dens to what it is.
And now hes the star of shark tank.

Age is creeping up on him so his time is valuable. So you cant blame him for moving on to
American TV shows.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote