REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Best bang for the buck gauges?

So far I've looked at Autometer (well reviewed but basic for the price), Prosport (bad reviews) and GlowShift (look good for the price). Any others I've missed? I want boost/vac (-20-30psi), water and oil temps (*C), and oil pressure (psi) all in 52mm. They don't need to be spot on (car's aren't rocket science) but they need to be decently accurate and reliable.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
What is your budget per gauge?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
I see lots of people using the Glow-Shift stuff and it seems to work well.
I was considering this for my own builds but in no rush to get any gauges for the car as of right now.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
All I can say about Glowshift is that I have a volt, boost/vaccum, & oil Pres. gauges. the volt and boost/vaccum have worked flawlessly for 2-3 years now but the oil pressure gauge is the second one I've gone through because the oil sender unit keeps failing... and this second one has ALSO failed.

So the simple function gauges work but the more complicated ones tend to fail as soon as warranty runs out.
vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I'm probably going to integrate most of my gauges into 2, 4-4.5" units from Speedhut.

Fully customizable (incl. gauge combination), GPS speedo and great customer service.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=20393.0
. Auto From Speedhut.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
It is expensive to buy gauges like Defi or Stack. But if you can find a quality used set they seem to hold their value quite well if you want to consider it safe 'ish' buy.

I bought stack gauges. They were not cheap but i plan on keeping them if i ever move platforms.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

i got glowshifts at first and they both werent great, the oil pressure worked for a while then the needle started giving inaccurate readings and hopping, also had a/f gauge didnt even work, just bounced up and down

switched to prosport, no problems at all

1992 Black Acura Integra GS-R #470
kookoobird88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

I should also note that the oil senders are going to be in a very high heat area and they'll likely get wet, so I'm not sure if I should go for something that comes with more expensive senders in the hopes that they'll last longer or go for cheaper ones and just chock up replacing them every few years as a part of maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
What is your budget per gauge?
I'm hoping to keep it under $300 for the four but I know that might be hard, the boost gauge can be mechanical to help keep cost down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
I'm probably going to integrate most of my gauges into 2, 4-4.5" units from Speedhut.

Fully customizable (incl. gauge combination), GPS speedo and great customer service.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=20393.0
. Auto From Speedhut.
That's actually not a bad idea, if I can customize them to match my stock speedo and tach I might go for that. Water temp, fuel, oil psi and voltage (too bad it's not oil temp, voltage is worthless) in the dash would let me run AFR, oil temp and boost on the pillar so I won't need to have one on my steering column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
It is expensive to buy gauges like Defi or Stack. But if you can find a quality used set they seem to hold their value quite well if you want to consider it safe 'ish' buy.

I bought stack gauges. They were not cheap but i plan on keeping them if i ever move platforms.
I don't really care about resale as I'll be owning the car far longer than I expect the sensors to last, and I don't think I'd go used unless they were cheap enough to replace the sensors, I know 90% of people absolutely suck at car electrical.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 09-16-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #9

Oh and another side note, a warn function would be a huge plus so I don't have to spend half my time checking gauges.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Aren't all boost gauges mechanical? It's just tapping into a vac line.

Are you looking for full sweep or just quarter? Mechanical or digital? Things like water temp and oil pressure I'd stick with digital gauges as I'd prefer not to have hot fluids running into the cabin, but thats just me.

For something super basic, places like Princess Auto have cheap gauges. They aren't the best but they do the job. For brand name, Autometer's cheaper series do well for the price. I run the Cobalt series but their original Sportcomp set is usually decently priced.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Alternatively you can run a Bluetooth obd2 plug and use the Torque app on your phone or a small tablet. I believe you can program it to set up warnings when various parameters are hit.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
They aren't round but I use auber gauges (lots of programming options and cheap), McNally also makes some 2 in 1 round gauges to save space. Something like the edge insight is nice if your vehicle supports it.
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #13

Link to the McNally ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Aren't all boost gauges mechanical? It's just tapping into a vac line.

Are you looking for full sweep or just quarter? Mechanical or digital? Things like water temp and oil pressure I'd stick with digital gauges as I'd prefer not to have hot fluids running into the cabin, but thats just me.

For something super basic, places like Princess Auto have cheap gauges. They aren't the best but they do the job. For brand name, Autometer's cheaper series do well for the price. I run the Cobalt series but their original Sportcomp set is usually decently priced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Alternatively you can run a Bluetooth obd2 plug and use the Torque app on your phone or a small tablet. I believe you can program it to set up warnings when various parameters are hit.
There are full mechanical, electrical with analog faces and electrical with digital faces for most of the common gauges, I want electric with analog. I don't like digital because reading numbers takes more time and attention than glancing at a needle to see if it's in roughly the right spot. Quarter sweep is probably enough for what I want, full sweep is good for cosmetics only IMO.

And I don't have OBDII
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I really like the Defi line-up. BF for full sweep, warnings and playback but they can get pricey quickly. I wish they still made the D-Gauge but they replaced those with the Racer series and I'm not really into the look of them. The Speedhut stuff that ICEBOY posted looks REALLY dope. I'd probably go that route depending on costs. Other brands to consider are Pivot, Omori or Innovate. Innovate offers some 2 in 1 options for pressure and temp.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: