REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   4x4's and the Great Outdoors (https://www.revscene.net/forums/4x4s-great-outdoors_226/)
-   -   Tire options for my Cherokee (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698210-tire-options-my-cherokee.html)

underscore 09-18-2014 10:44 AM

Tire options for my Cherokee

The tires I have now are BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO (235/75R15) and they're getting a bit too worn for the upcoming winter and they seem a bit noisy to boot. To compare I'd say the grip level the BF's provided when newer was good for what I need (but more grip is always better).

I'm looking for something with good grip on snow, ice and mud for when I go skiing and camping without being too noisy in town (the BF's are quite noisy on the highway), I also go over the Coq a few times a year with it as well. Also bonus points for something that looks a bit more aggressive but function > fashion.

white rocket 09-18-2014 11:51 AM

For an All-Terrain tire I prefer the Toyo Open Country A/T's. I've had them on a few different vehicles and they have great on-road mannerisms with little to no noise as well as good off-road performance. I will be purchasing another set for my 4Runner soon.

underscore 09-18-2014 12:35 PM

How are they on snow and ice?

One thing I forgot to mention is that I need them to be snow/winter rated (I'm not entirely sure how to find out online) for when I go over the Coq in the winter.

white rocket 09-18-2014 12:54 PM

I don't believe they have the snowflake rating but they did say "M+S". I had them on a Jeep Liberty and went to Cypress and Whistler a couple times without any issues. I've never actually had "official" snow tires so I can't compare them to ones with the sipes(sp?) in the tread.

Here is a little tid bit of info on the rating differences: http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=125

underscore 09-18-2014 01:09 PM

I was able to find this on Car and Small Truck Drivers and it looks like M+S is all I need:

Quote:

Tires labelled with the mountain / snowflake or M+S (Mud and Snow) symbols are legally acceptable on provincial highways that require winter tires or chains onboard.

Winter tires improve driving safety by providing better traction in cold weather conditions including snow, slush and ice. Winter tires, to qualify as legal, must have a tread at least 3.5 mm deep. Check for wear before installing the tires and check tire pressure frequently, as it decreases in cold weather.

Between October 1 and April 30, all vehicles are required to have winter tires or carry chains on most major highways.

white rocket 09-18-2014 01:18 PM

Good info there. Sounds like the snowflake symbol signifies the best possible performance in snowy/icey condition whereas the M+S just meets the safety requirements as set by Transport Canada. I wasn't aware of that difference.

As I mentioned, the Open Country AT's were just fine here in the snow and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again in the same conditions. However, I'd imagine that the tread sipes that true winter tires come equipped with offer superior traction over a normal M+S AT.

underscore 09-18-2014 01:50 PM

I honestly haven't had any problems with the M+S AT's on there now, my girlfriend complained a bit about it sliding on ice a bit but I never had any problems so I just chock it up to the tires getting older and being lower on tread.

T4RAWR 09-18-2014 06:27 PM

duratracs!

Soundy 09-18-2014 07:15 PM

I have Goodyear Silent Armors on my Jeep and I love them - kevlar sidewalls, great traction offroad, quiet on the pavement, and "snowflake" designation. They've done well for me on all kinds of terrain, including in some pretty mucky stuff. Obviously they're no M/Ts in that situation, but they're a good all-around tire.

Gucci Mane 09-18-2014 10:43 PM

i'm pretty much in the same boat as you underscore. i keep hearing and reading good things about the goodyear wrangler duratracs. they're also snow and ice rated. they've got the snowflake symbol on them. so many people swear by that tire and say they couldnt ever use anything else.

theres also the new bfg a/t ko2, it should be released very soon. costco is going to get them in stock next month. All-Terrain T/A KO2 | BFGoodrich Tires

cdizzle_996 09-19-2014 05:00 AM

Duratracs forsure, followed by the BFG all terrains.

hopalong 09-19-2014 05:35 AM

Duratracks has a hummm on highway driving. It was a beatch to balance also. But so far I love it!

T4RAWR 09-19-2014 08:16 AM

I own the good yearwrangler silent armors and agree with soundy that theyre a great all round tire.

I plan to spend more time off pavement in the future so c load duratracs is what im looking at currently

underscore 09-19-2014 08:25 AM

Turns out the BFG All-Terrains I've got have the mountain and snowflake on them, I really wish it was easier to tell online which designations a tire has.

Apparently the BFG All-Terrain KO2's aren't going to be available in my size so that rules them out unfortunately.

If the Duratracs have a lot of highway noise I'll rule them out, right now I start getting noise above 80 and I hate having to shout the whole way when we go to Big White or Vancouver.

T4RAWR 09-19-2014 08:42 AM

If road noise and manners are a concern I strongly suggest you look at the silent armors.

Gucci Mane 09-19-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopalong (Post 8531321)
Duratracks has a hummm on highway driving. It was a beatch to balance also. But so far I love it!

non-issue for me. the flowmaster super 40 muffler i have installed on my truck will drown out any road noise from the tires :lawl:

now the real question is, wheres the cheapest place to buy tires? lol. i called abb/sry tires and they quoted me $2300 for a set of 285/60/20 duratracs.

underscore 09-19-2014 09:46 AM

$520/tire at 1010tires.com Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac (312028142)

Soundy 09-19-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8531372)
Turns out the BFG All-Terrains I've got have the mountain and snowflake on them, I really wish it was easier to tell online which designations a tire has.

http://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/newsr...tter-tires.pdf

Generally if they're "mountain and snowflake", they'll say so pretty clearly.

underscore 09-19-2014 09:04 PM

I know where to look on the tires, but that doesn't help online. I dunno why they wouldn't mention the M+S or snowflake when searching.

Tegra_Devil 09-20-2014 08:38 PM

duratrac...................duratrac............... duratrac........

I had 33's duratracs on my xterra...amazing....now I have 35" duratracs on my tundra....the noise is minimal...don't worry about it....

plus the fact they look aggressive as fack for an allseason w/ snow rating, I will NEVER run anything else...

AALLLLLLL duratracs are snowflake rated

Soundy 09-21-2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8531680)
I know where to look on the tires, but that doesn't help online. I dunno why they wouldn't mention the M+S or snowflake when searching.

Like I said, if it HAS the mountain/snowflake designation, it will almost certainly list it. May also be called a winter tire, ice tire, or snow tire (studded snows will be listed as such, too).

M+S is not a winter tire, it's an all-season.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=125

RRxtar 09-26-2014 09:48 PM

didnt read thread. original post had the word winter in it. the answer is duratracs. period.

MarkyMark 09-27-2014 06:26 AM

I'm curious whether the new BFG KO2's coming out next month will be any good. I need new tires for my FX4 and it's between those and Duratracs. The Duratracs don't make the size I want though.

Gucci Mane 09-27-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8535104)
I'm curious whether the new BFG KO2's coming out next month will be any good. I need new tires for my FX4 and it's between those and Duratracs. The Duratracs don't make the size I want though.

lol. which year fx4 have you got? im also stuck between those 2 sets of tires for my 2011 fx4. waiting for the k02 to come out with reviews so i can make my mind up.

MarkyMark 09-27-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_KB (Post 8535147)
lol. which year fx4 have you got? im also stuck between those 2 sets of tires for my 2011 fx4. waiting for the k02 to come out with reviews so i can make my mind up.

2014, so my stockers are just fine although the scorpions suck. I'm getting some 18s to replace the 20's so I'm thinking of 285/65/18 KO2's at the moment