REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

View Poll Results: John Norwich Memorial ride
Sep 12: to Squamish AM, then ride to Pitt Meadow track days for a visit 4 57.14%
Sep 13: to Squamish AM, then ride to TSS for annual BBQ 2 28.57%
Sep 17: Thursday night ride to Squamish 7pm to whenever 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #51
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I didn't know him other than by his posts on RS, and only met him less than a handful of times at various meets. I had the same reaction as a few other people when I first met him "That's Gwilo?!", I was expecting him to be Asian and younger than me or around the same age. The memory that stands out the most to me was one of the posts he made for the Mansters meets. He'd written the wrong date on the post (despite the poster being right above it) so I asked my brother if he knew which date was correct thinking maybe it got changed. Raid3n told John about the mistake and silliness ensued between the two of them. http://www.revscene.net/forums/68331...ml#post8308681

As someone who's trying to master their fear of two wheels, I always appreciated his knowledge and honesty when interacting with new and prospective riders in the Rider's Corner. John was one of the main reasons I liked browsing around in there. He was funny, a bit of a smart-ass and above all else a very knowledgeable rider. He also never seemed to mind answering any and all questions from anyone. Thankfully nothing on the internet ever really gets deleted, so we'll always have his humour and advice around to remind us of what an awesome man he was.

RIP John
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!

Last edited by Inaii; 09-20-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #52
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Jezz. Heart sank a bit.

RIP fellow rider.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #53
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Memorial sticker

These stickers will be available in limited number tomorrow at the memorial ride. Donations would be appreciated. These donations will be going towards the family and future plans: it is my intention to setup a scholarship if you will, in John's name for riders training and safety courses. More details of this once all is setup. Special thanks to Inaii for creating this design and special thanks to Bing of The Kraken Lab helping to produce these late Friday and into late Saturday as we speak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OI000076.jpg (130.4 KB, 0 views)
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #54
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
First met John maaaaaany many years ago at one of the first RS (IC?) meets I ever went to. Used to make fun of his Z24, but it was all in good fun as he would fire right back about my VW's. His Miata was one of the first I got to experience that made me actually want one to AutoX. He was always around for a good chat, to share his experience and opinions, and just be a lot of fun to shoot the shit with.

Revscene in particular, and the automotive and bike community as a whole will be less without you around, John. Rest in peace. Or, more appropriately, I hope you're ripping up the roads in your bike where ever you are.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #55
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Tommy, can you possibly keep a sticker aside for me, please? I'll be down on the Coast in mid-November and can pick it up from you, unless you're able to mail it to me. I've no problem doing an eTransfer or Pay Pal'ing some cash to you.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #56
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

I should have more by then as this will be an ongoing campaign. Let me now when you will be here.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #57
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
site went down as i posted my message :/

I know this isn't the first time Revscene has lost a member but this one comes as quite a shock, I never met gwilo but through my time here his posts are one of several that stand out, mainly because of his username.

losing someone is always hard but to lose someone in this way is especially tough as it could have been avoided. Being safe on the roads is paramount but it's only half the job as we also depend on the actions of others...please let's do our part in being safer drivers and especially to take the step in reporting dangerous drivers we see out there in hopes to minimize the amount of incidents like this in the future

My condolences to Gwilos friends and family, may he rest in peace.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #58
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
RIP. I've met John several times and even worked on his Miata. And I also had the same first reaction as many "That's Gwilo?"

Just a suggestion, how come there's no thread/link in VAC? I hardly ever come to this forum, and only happened to catch the thread on the forum home.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #59
Founder, RS Veteran

Thanks to those who dropped by and/or went to the Memorial Cruise

Thanks to rb and !SG (for set up), Tommy (memorial stickers, contacting family), Morgan (leading rs cruise) and Hilton (setting up the memorial ride).
It was comforting to grieve with others who knew or met John.

interesting moment: a pedestrian from Brazil walked by to see what was going on. He said he didn't know John at all but from what he heard there, he sounded like a great guy. I said yea, he was the type of person who would talk to you even if he didn't know you. then some dust flew into his eye

thanks to Wilson who was kind enough to allow us the time and space to hold our vigil.

"We will all miss you!! RIP my friend"
"Ride in Peace John. We will miss you. J."
"John (gwilo) Thnx for the advise.You will be missed. S (CJ)"
"R.I.P. John, You will be missed. G."
"John, It was a pleasure getting to know you this year. I'll always remember the pics of your gear room. Hope you are somewhere in the universe enjoying the ride. Love E."
"RIP John You will be missed. C.C."
"John 'gwilo' Norwich. R.I.P. Brother. This is for you. You would do the same for any of us. J."
"John, R.I.P. We will all miss you. A."

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #60
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
I am sure he would be proud of the ride!

I couldn't make it but lots of others did!
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #61
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Never met Gwilo personally (wish i had the pleasure) but always enjoyed reading his posts on Riders Corner. Kudos to RS for renaming the forum in his memory.

RIP
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #62
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Thank you for sharing the pictures with us jACE. It looks like the ride had an amazing turn out and beautiful weather.

?NR you're very welcome. It was the least I could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #63
Founder, RS Veteran

updated with Memorial/vigil gathering footage at end

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #64
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
RIP.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #65
Need to Seek Professional Help

RIP
Old 09-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #66
My homepage has been set to RS

one fellow went ahead of the pack to take video/pics on a overpass, anyone know who that was?
EmOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #67
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

I believe that was Nick Caia from. 604 group
Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #68
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Awww shit? Really? Fuck.. I really liked John. He was the crazy BCJ guy that pre-dated me in J-body craziness. I have to give him credit.. if it weren't for him, I would have never stuck around RS. I went to meets in the old days because of him. I took up AutoX because of him. I never wanted a Cantonese tattoo because of that whole Gwilo thing.

Fuck!! I can't believe this happened!! Oh man.. this blows. And I gotta come here more often... shit.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't see this much earlier. RIP Gwillo I always enjoyed your posts.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #70
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

from John's Nephew:

To any of my family and friends in the Vancouver area who would like to pay their respects to John Norwich, there will be a memorial service held for him this Saturday at 10 am at his work, Thomson Technologies in Langley. In case you are looking for me during the memorial, I will be in Montreal attending the service there. Many blessing to you all, and thank you.

official Vancouver memorial details:

Memorial will be held at John's former workplace Thomson Technologies in Langley
10am Saturday October 4th, 2014

The address is:
9087A -198th Street
Langley, BC
V1M 3B1

If anyone would like to pay final respects via this memorial.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #71
2-Wheelin' Mod

I'm going to keep the John Norwich Memorial Riders Group alive and well out of respect to John... I'll keep pumping content, pictures, videos, and generally entertaining motorcycle content until people get annoyed.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #72
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I never talked to John before although I think I may have saw him at one of the Thursday night Market Crossing meets last summer. But I can certainly feel his legacy here through the strong sense of community and responsibility. He would be proud. I hope you're resting well, Mr. Norwich.
DKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #73
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Happy birthday John, we at revscene all miss your guidance and friendship. May you ride in peace.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #74
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
Are we going to have a memorial ride in his honor on the 17th?
vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #75
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
a weekend day would likely work better for most people.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote