REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #101
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkii View Post
I have a question, what is the correct way of stopping with a manual transmission? I've watched so many videos on YouTube but everyone does it differently and I just want to know how you guys do it. Also is it bad to have my clutch in when I'm trying to slow down and drive at an angel on speed bumps? (my car's lowered). I don't know what's the right way for this too. Going over speed bumps with a lowered car. I just got my first manual car so I'm still learning.
If I'm going towards a red light or stop sign, I clutch in while leaving it in gear. Other method is to put in neutral and coast. The problem with that is if a car decides to swerve in front of you, you can't move. Speed bumps depend how lowered you are/size of speed bump. I'm not even lowered that much and I can't get over the bumps at Lansdowne
Advertisement

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #102
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
If I'm going towards a red light or stop sign, I clutch in while leaving it in gear. Other method is to put in neutral and coast. The problem with that is if a car decides to swerve in front of you, you can't move. Speed bumps depend how lowered you are/size of speed bump. I'm not even lowered that much and I can't get over the bumps at Lansdowne
Leaving the clutch in, isn't that bad? Isn't that called riding the clutch? Or is it that different?
Russkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #103
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

"Riding the clutch" is when you leave your foot resting on the clutch pedal enough that its at the "engagement" point or near it. (Not fully engaged or fully disengaged). That engagement/friction point is where the most clutch wear occurs.

Pressing the clutch all the way in and fully disengaging the clutch = neutral (which is what I believe speedstars is referring to). Its still "bad" if you sit at every red light holding the clutch in for long periods of time. Its always better to shift to neutral and let go of the clutch if you know you won't be moving for a while.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #104
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

you should be leaving it in gear until just below 1k revs then depress clutch, neutral, release clutch

Always safer to leave it in gear until the very last moment
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #105
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
"Riding the clutch" is when you leave your foot resting on the clutch pedal enough that its at the "engagement" point or near it. (Not fully engaged or fully disengaged). That engagement/friction point is where the most clutch wear occurs.

Pressing the clutch all the way in and fully disengaging the clutch = neutral (which is what I believe speedstars is referring to). Its still "bad" if you sit at every red light holding the clutch in for long periods of time. Its always better to shift to neutral and let go of the clutch if you know you won't be moving for a while.
Okay good because that's what I thought so too or what I've been told by a couple of my friends is that when the clutch is all the way pushed in that it's fine but not holding for TOO LONG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
you should be leaving it in gear until just below 1k revs then depress clutch, neutral, release clutch

Always safer to leave it in gear until the very last moment
Thanks for the advice!
Russkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #106
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
I know how to drive a little bit driving it for a few hours today with my buddy, I still stall from starting the car off in 1st gear and starting off at a red light
I was in the same situation a few months ago. Thought I was good to go, bought the car, then realized I still have work to do. Had to bus to work for a few days and tool around neighbourhood streets during after hours. I absolutely had times where I was freaking out about not being able to drive the thing daily in traffic. Good news is that it does become second nature. The kind of traffic you find annoying while driving stick is the same kind you find annoying while driving auto.

I think the pivot point after which things got better is when I persuaded myself that, yes, it's OK to slip the clutch during the transitions, that's what the damn thing is made for. Don't rev up, just maintain your RPMs and work the clutch so that the car to starts moving. It's also OK to slip the clutch a tad when shifting from first to second. With time you'll learn your gearbox and you'll have to slip less and less.

PS: If you're looking for a practice hill, try going up 3rd avenue turning from 12th street in New Westminster

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.20317...Q6pgttvOBQ!2e0
foodtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #107
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Also, if you like graphs, another thing that I think will help which nobody ever explains about the clutches is how the pressure changes with pedal travel. Found this which I think illustrates the situation.

So basically it's linear but only during engagement interval. Depending on the car, it can begin early or late during pedal travel (in this case, it's very early) and is typically much shorter than entire pedal travel distance, so you have to move your leg much slower.
foodtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #108
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post

Agreed, but a new driver is more likely to wear out the clutch slipping it too much than by keeping the pedal in too much. Also when you are stopped for a while and put it in neutral, pay more attention to the traffic around you so that you can put it into gear before you need to start moving to avoid having to scramble when you should already be moving.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #109
Meow

My biggest problems so far are hills, getting off first and reverse. I notice I am fine till I see someone behind me and starts to freak out and i'll stall
Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #110
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
My biggest problems so far are hills, getting off first and reverse. I notice I am fine till I see someone behind me and starts to freak out and i'll stall
handbrake it, you will feel the cars suspension move a little signifying you should release the handbrake
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:56 PM   #111
RS controls my life!

I need some tips guys... the trouble I am having the most is starting off from first to second gear, the shift is rough.. sometimes I do it right but most of the time its wrong. How fast am i supposed to let out the clutch when going from first to second and what RPMS? I shift at 2500-3000rpm but my car jerks unless I let the clutch out slowly, is that riding the clutch?

Also, If i hard accelerate from a dead stop, do I stay in first gear all the way close to redline before shifting to next gear? my wheels spin a lot when I attempted to hard accelerate.

Lastly, I am doing fairly well on an incline but when I attempted to go up a really steep hill from a stop, my tires spin like crazy in first gear, If I only gas a tiny bit, the car will stall.

How long did it take you guys to be be really good driving stick and learning to heel toe downshifting? As of now, I only go into neutral and coasting to a stop because I am not too sure which RPMS to downshift at otherwise the vehicle will jerk unless I try rev matching first. This is my first week of owning a manual.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:13 AM   #112
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
the trouble I am having the most is starting off from first to second gear, the shift is rough.. sometimes I do it right but most of the time its wrong. How fast am i supposed to let out the clutch when going from first to second and what RPMS?
When to shift: It really depends on your car and road conditions. Basically your 1st gear is to get the car moving. On my 05 Ralliart, I shift at 2k rpm from 1st to 2nd on flat roads or approx 2.5k rpm on hills.

Quote:
I shift at 2500-3000rpm but my car jerks unless I let the clutch out slowly, is that riding the clutch?
Wiki on riding clutch: Clutch control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To answer your question: no you aren't riding the clutch. Your car jerks because you are suddenly cutting the power from your engine to your drive train.

Quote:
If i hard accelerate from a dead stop, do I stay in first gear all the way close to redline before shifting to next gear? my wheels spin a lot when I attempted to hard accelerate.
There's too much torque being transmitted onto the road at once. Therefore you should slowly let go of the clutch when you accelerate.

Quote:
Lastly, I am doing fairly well on an incline but when I attempted to go up a really steep hill from a stop, my tires spin like crazy in first gear, If I only gas a tiny bit, the car will stall.
Clutch modulation is key my friend. When going up hill, hold your throttle at a steady position (say 30%) and slowly let go of the clutch. On my RA, I give enough throttle to get to approximately 2k rpm and slowly let go of the clutch. But I think you should try the handbrake method instead. You pull you handbrake when you are stopped, step on clutch and engage 1st gear. Then give enough throttle and modulate clutch until you feel the car is slightly going forwards, but restrained by your brakes. Then release hand brake.

I'd try it out on an empty stretch of hill first before attempting with other road users behind you.

EDIT:

Don't bother to rev match just yet. The reason why your car is jerking is because you are letting go of the clutch way too quickly. Try moving your car in 1st gear without even touching the throttle pedal as practice. You'll quickly find out that dumping your clutch = stall and feathering your clutch = movement.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 12:57 AM   #113
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
When to shift: It really depends on your car and road conditions. Basically your 1st gear is to get the car moving. On my 05 Ralliart, I shift at 2k rpm from 1st to 2nd on flat roads or approx 2.5k rpm on hills.

Wiki on riding clutch: Clutch control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To answer your question: no you aren't riding the clutch. Your car jerks because you are suddenly cutting the power from your engine to your drive train.

There's too much torque being transmitted onto the road at once. Therefore you should slowly let go of the clutch when you accelerate.

Clutch modulation is key my friend. When going up hill, hold your throttle at a steady position (say 30%) and slowly let go of the clutch. On my RA, I give enough throttle to get to approximately 2k rpm and slowly let go of the clutch. But I think you should try the handbrake method instead. You pull you handbrake when you are stopped, step on clutch and engage 1st gear. Then give enough throttle and modulate clutch until you feel the car is slightly going forwards, but restrained by your brakes. Then release hand brake.

I'd try it out on an empty stretch of hill first before attempting with other road users behind you.

EDIT:

Don't bother to rev match just yet. The reason why your car is jerking is because you are letting go of the clutch way too quickly. Try moving your car in 1st gear without even touching the throttle pedal as practice. You'll quickly find out that dumping your clutch = stall and feathering your clutch = movement.
Letting out the clutch slowly when shifting 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear is completely and not hurting the clutch correct? I was afraid because today my shifts have been completely smooth letting the clutch out slowly and stepping onto the throttle slowly at 2500rpm. If I do what I did before by quickly letting go of the clutch, car will jerk violently lol.

The hill I attempted to go up was this one. ?what is the degrees of Oxford Street hill of white rock, BC??

I made it up twice but spun like crazy in first gear into 2nd gear and crawling up because if I shifted, I would stall. In the rain too..
Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #114
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
Letting out the clutch slowly when shifting 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear is completely and not hurting the clutch correct? I was afraid because today my shifts have been completely smooth letting the clutch out slowly and stepping onto the throttle slowly at 2500rpm. If I do what I did before by quickly letting go of the clutch, car will jerk violently lol.

The hill I attempted to go up was this one. ?what is the degrees of Oxford Street hill of white rock, BC??

I made it up twice but spun like crazy in first gear into 2nd gear and crawling up because if I shifted, I would stall. In the rain too..
Letting the clutch out slowly wont hurt it, as long as youre not applying heavy throttle as you do so. Does your car have rev hang? My car shifts 1-2nd the worst because of it, usually I have to push the clutch and wait .5sec for the rpm's to drop before letting go of the clutch. Sometime i'll just slowly let go of the clutch and as I do that the rev's drop and my engine and wheels match each other.
KDMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:22 AM   #115
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMofo View Post
Letting the clutch out slowly wont hurt it, as long as youre not applying heavy throttle as you do so. Does your car have rev hang? My car shifts 1-2nd the worst because of it, usually I have to push the clutch and wait .5sec for the rpm's to drop before letting go of the clutch. Sometime i'll just slowly let go of the clutch and as I do that the rev's drop and my engine and wheels match each other.
I haven't really noticed rev hang, I am just usually trying to balance out the gas pedal as I am slowly releasing the clutch 1st-2nd gear. Is that what we are supposed to do in a manual car? Or is it the correct way when you give throttle only when the clutch is fully released? My vehicle was jerking before when I would only give throttle once I fully release clutch, now smoother as I try the balancing but i am afraid I am damaging the clutch. I am only able to do this balancing if my heel is resting on the ground for the clutch otherwise I won't be able to feel the balance if my foot is completely on the clutch. How do you guys do it?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #116
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Don't give throttle after you release the clutch. That's the main reason why your ride is jerky. Slowly releasing the clutch is what you need to do.

Your clutch is designed to handle driver mistakes. Honestly, don't worry about damaging your clutch. I think you need to figure out where the engagement point is for your clutch and build muscle memory though practising starting a stationary car on a hill without wheel spin and practice moving a stationary car without touching throttle at all, just start it by feathering the clutch.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #117
My homepage has been set to RS

Release the clutch up to the engagement point, then push the gas pedal accordingly while continually releasing the clutch. It's the same how you do it for every gear.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #118
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Hey guys, I'm new here and would like to give some insight

What you need to do is learn to ride the clutch. Try to move the car without pressing the gas pedal. Once you have that down, you can slowly press the gas while riding the clutch and releasing the clutch. Stop and start this about 10 times. After that, you should be all good. The hardest part is 1st to 2nd. Once you have that down, should be piece of cake

Should work for you if I can teach my fiancé with this method.

Oh and don't think too hard or else you'll stall for sure
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #119
RS controls my life!

man oh man, this is the worst part for me when driving stick. Starting off smoothly first to second and up hills. I start sweating so bad when people pull up so close behind me so I am trying my best to avoid hills at the moment lol. So right now what I am doing is correct? Neutral at red light, light turns green, I clutch in, first gear, and slowly give throttle to 2000rpm and release the clutch a little until 3000 rpm and then I clutch in, go to second and slowly gas same time as releasing clutch slowly so that its smooth transition. Any affordable places around that could teach me for one day and see what im doing wrong?
Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #120
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If your in Richmond, I could give you a few minutes of my time
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #121
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
they should make driving manual mandatory to passing your driving exam... that should weed out the lazy ones lol.

if this guy can do it in a gt500, no one should have an excuse... (donuts optional)

more gt500 goodness ...

try youtube for visual pointers. for example i googled this from jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/5230172/how-to-d...ten-easy-steps

back in the day my first time learning stick shift i burned out the clutch on a classmate's 1976 civic. i can still remember the clutch smoke coming through the floor. good times.

practice someplace safe. i also used to spend a long time going around the sfu parking lots on weekends when there is no one around. i don't know what security is like these days but back then as long as you don't do anything stupid and don't hit anything or anyone they just let me do my own thing...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-23-2015 at 05:23 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #122
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Strong bump, 10/10 would read again
Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #123
Witness protection

so, as you get proficient and learn that your left foot actually can be used for other things in life other than keeping you from falling over when standing up, there is the following:

heel and toe...

powershifting and quickshifting....

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-23-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #124
Witness protection

left foot braking...

burnout...

... and this is why automatics and flappy paddles are boring

Last edited by thumper; 01-23-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:20 PM   #125
RS controls my life!

if cruising around vancouver or any of the cities, which gear would be best to be in with a 6 speed manual? Do i really need to shift all the way to 6th all the time or only on highway speeds?