REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 09-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Toyota Recall Advice

Hey everyone.

Needed some advice regarding a recall for a 2003 Toyota Corolla LE.

Basically i got a letter from Toyota Canada for recall 190 (Noise Filter) and recall 193 (Airbag Inflator). Took it for recall 190 to Peace Arch Toyota with no issues on the car. After my service my car was doing well for couple of weeks then the airbag light came on. So i call the dealer and they like light has nothing to do with the recall. Apparently when they installed the Noise filter they didn't touch anything that would cause a fault.

After going back and forth to try to get them look at the issue without it coming out of my pocket i finally gave up with no avail.

At the second recall i took it back to the same dealer. This time around nothing was installed.

My question is there anything i can do so the dealership has to cover the cost of the diagnostic and repair. I'm no mechanic but it seems convenient that after taking it to the dealer for an airbag issue the airbag light comes on after 10 years of no airbag issues.

any help or advice or direction i should go in?

thanks in advance for any help.
Advertisement
lilzed747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If you want my honest opinion, I would say sheer coincidence. If the light came on right after being serviced, It would be more susceptible that it was related. I would say bring your car in to get serviced and fixed, but I don't believe the dealer is at fault
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Whatever is causing the airbag light to go off probably isn't related to airbag inflator if that's what they're telling you. It could be an impact sensor, clockspring, etc. Can't really recoup the money you spent for diagnostic and repair if that's the case. At this time anyway.

Ran into the same scenario actually (I'm a Service Advisor). Car had a recall for brake pedal switch, cruise control didn't work. Cruise control needs the brake pedal switch to work properly since it's a drive by wire. Unluckily for the customer, the 2 issues were totally separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Coincidental.

The 190 recall you had done is simply a wiring harness that is plugged into the SRS control module. This is just ahead of your shifter assembly.
Instillation of the harness will not cause this fault, as they indicated.

The 193 has to do with the airbag inflater and does not effect many vehicles.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #5

thanks for the help everyone. situation seemed really fishy.lol

so i guess the next logical step would be to get the code checked out and then repaired. is this something that needs to be done via toyota or is it ok to just go see a sponsor or something?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #6

UPDATE:
so went and got the code checked out/cleared. according to that mechanic the clockspring needs replacing...

i priced one out at the dealership. it would cost $480 plus tax from toyota. the part number that they provided fits 2003-2008 corolla and matrix. now from my understanding the 2003-2008 matrix is twins with the same years pontiac vibe. price from GM is $124.25 plus tax. would anyone know if the vibe clockspring would be direct fit onto the corolla?

also would it be necessary to get an OEM one or could i get an aftermarket one from RockAuto or something? lastly what are thoughts on getting a used one from a 2008 corolla or matrix?

thanks for the help thus far
Old 10-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i would see what GM's return policy is. if a new spiral cable from GM is that cheep, and they'll let you order it and cancel without penalty, i would take a look at it.

just remember, do NOT remove teh orange clip that holds the spiral cable together as more than the specified turns either way after the clip is removed will cause the cable to snap, which will make the cable useless.

question. have you had any steering rack/alignment/suspension work done on your car recently?
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
84306-02110 - Toyota Part Number ($480.80)

As for the Vibe, it uses the same internal cable assembly, but its connections are different. A spiral cable is non-returnable from GM or Toyota.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfy View Post
i would see what GM's return policy is. if a new spiral cable from GM is that cheep, and they'll let you order it and cancel without penalty, i would take a look at it.

just remember, do NOT remove teh orange clip that holds the spiral cable together as more than the specified turns either way after the clip is removed will cause the cable to snap, which will make the cable useless.

question. have you had any steering rack/alignment/suspension work done on your car recently?

My dad has not gotten any work done to the steering, alignment or suspension. the last work that he did was change rotors and pads.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
84306-02110 - Toyota Part Number ($480.80)

As for the Vibe, it uses the same internal cable assembly, but its connections are different. A spiral cable is non-returnable from GM or Toyota.
would you say this is an easy enough job to do on my own? i can understand instructions pretty good and i have worked with removing/installing an airbag on an EK and EG (not that its the same as toyota.lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfy View Post

my dad has not gotten any steering rack/suspension or alignment work done. last thing he did was the rotors and new pads.