REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Every year they are doing something great! FUCKING AMAZING.

Who cares if they offer a paddle shift. It's to keep up with the competition. They still offer a manual.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #27
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

While manual is undoubtedly fun, having spent a few years in a car with a reasonably good dual clutch box, and now going back to daily driving a manual car.. I have to say.. I kind of miss the dual clutch. It gives perfect, infinitely repeatable shifts every time, and when you're (often) feeling lazy it lets you slam it into auto mode and enjoy the scenery... er... traffic

All we know is, I'm called The Stig
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #28
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
i'm starting to hear some enthusiasts preferring a paddle shift over manual as it lets them focus on their actual driving.. thoughts?
Those aren't ethusiasts. Nope. They just think they are.

Real enthusiasts, will ALWAYS praise a manual, no matter if it's faster or slower, because it's the shit. It's fun.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #29
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post

Real enthusiasts, will ALWAYS praise a manual, no matter if it's faster or slower, because it's the shit. It's fun.
No. A REAL enthusiast doesn't care if they're rowing their own gears or using a slushbox, so long as they're enjoying themselves. I enjoy a good manual as much as the next person on here, but it's honestly not the be-all, end-all of transmissions.

How many people knocking on paddle shifting have actually driven one setup with a single or dual clutch? Let me tell you, I have and it's not the end of the world. Sure, the system used in the original AM DB9 that I drove was absolutely complete shit. Good on the open highway, but everywhere else it was a disaster. But that seemed to be the exception to the rule. I've also driven VW/Audi's DSG, along with Porsche's PDK, and they're both pretty damn good. Yes, I did initially miss the whole clutch in, throw a gear action, but I soon forgot about it. On the open highway, you're rarely changing gears anyway. Once on a track or a mountain road, it showed it's advantage. You can hit a faster lap time, both your hands are on the wheel at all time, and you don't run the risk of firing off a bad shift.

Only one car in the past ten I've owned has been an automatic (and that's because it was a winter beater SUV), but I don't doubt that at some point in the future, I'll actually end up buying a car with paddle shifting.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:

Does your nsx have abs and fuel injection?
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #31
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
No. A REAL enthusiast doesn't care if they're rowing their own gears or using a slushbox, so long as they're enjoying themselves. I enjoy a good manual as much as the next person on here, but it's honestly not the be-all, end-all of transmissions.

How many people knocking on paddle shifting have actually driven one setup with a single or dual clutch? Let me tell you, I have and it's not the end of the world. Sure, the system used in the original AM DB9 that I drove was absolutely complete shit. Good on the open highway, but everywhere else it was a disaster. But that seemed to be the exception to the rule. I've also driven VW/Audi's DSG, along with Porsche's PDK, and they're both pretty damn good. Yes, I did initially miss the whole clutch in, throw a gear action, but I soon forgot about it. On the open highway, you're rarely changing gears anyway. Once on a track or a mountain road, it showed it's advantage. You can hit a faster lap time, both your hands are on the wheel at all time, and you don't run the risk of firing off a bad shift.

Only one car in the past ten I've owned has been an automatic (and that's because it was a winter beater SUV), but I don't doubt that at some point in the future, I'll actually end up buying a car with paddle shifting.

I might sound like i'm bashing DSG or automated manuals, I don't, I just plain prefer manual over them. But man, do I ever enjoy tracking/autocrossing with my manual cars.

I'm just saying one can get more fun out of driving a car with a stick than automatic, there's a learning curve to everything, it's just the majority of the people dont track their car. All this talk of what's faster...I could care less, it's all about how much fun you can have with a car. I can enjoy steering and rowing the stick while tracking and I just find automatics are boring for that reason.

No. I don't own a NSX but I have tracked manuals and automatics. I drive an ISF so i know the cool stuff excellent automatics can do. Blistering fast upshifts, rev matching and all that, it's cool, but tracking wise....I found it to be less involved. Sticks provided a more fun experience. Hence my strong statement about REAL ethusiast. My ideal scenario would be some automatics for cruising/relaxing drives, and a stick for the fun stuff in between.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #32
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Didn't most of your cars burn to a crisp?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #33
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
lmao... focus on their actual driving? like on a fucking street?

Most of these so called enthusiasts barely hit the track, and I have not met any real enthusiasts who say they find paddle shift more fun to drive than rowing gears and heal-toeing on a track.
i'd consider myself an enthusiast and use my car for whats it is intended for
and yea i would dare to say paddle shift would be more fun - id be able to tackle the track a lot harder - hence why at the end of the day people in the lotus community (which i would also assume are enthusiasts) change over to dogbox transmission

Quote:

true enthusiast wouldn't care too much if manual or auto - grass is greener on the other side

if i had manual id want the dual clutch - and if i had the dual clutch id want the manual

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #34
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Didn't most of your cars burn to a crisp?
Technically only three. And just one actually burnt to a crisp.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #35
I am Hook'd on RS

Last edited by cheeky_scrub; 10-02-2014 at 01:53 PM.
cheeky_scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #36
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
YES ! MY THREAD REACHED TWO PAGES!

I CAN REST HAPPY NOW

phew
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #37
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_scrub View Post
Back on topic...has anyone used the Pilot Sport 2 tires? How do they compare to the regular Vette's tires?
sorry- were you referring to the 2015 z06 tires? if so, they're actually the PSC2. The C for cup which makes them an r-comp tire. the PS2 on the other hand is a pure street tire!

and i havent been fortunate enough to even try a set of regular PSCs. too poor for michelin so i buy Federal tires. :
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #38
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_scrub View Post
Back on topic...has anyone used the Pilot Sport 2 tires? How do they compare to the regular Vette's tires?
You aren't cool and accepted here on Revscene if you don't run the Michelin PSS. Clearly another flaw with the new Corvette.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #39
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I can't wait for reviews
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
YES ! MY THREAD REACHED TWO PAGES!
haha, I chuckled. LOL at the peeps getting rustled about paddle vs. manual. When speaking in terms of on-track usage it's really the driving that gets the focus so if you eliminate the manual shifting aspect then you can concentrate more on the driving lines. I have a manual vehicle and enjoy it on-track but I can also relate to the desire for paddle shift. With the milli-second shifting and throttle blip down shift it's hard to compete. Even straight up racers will have tons of respect for the paddle shift. To say that a true enthusiast will always favor a manual gearbox just isn't true.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #41
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
so is it faster than the GTR yet?
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote