REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
how does that have anything to do with the amendment of the obstructed plate law? Also, I guess cops should not be allowed to drive above the speed limit, drive a vehicle with lights and sirens, and not carry a gun as well.. since the general public aren't allowed.... the government is the one that gave police certain privileges in order for them to do their jobs efficiently.. You can cry the "no fair" chant all you want, but at the end of the day those privileges were granted to keep people like YOU safe.

So you think an obstructed licence plate doesn't pose a problem? A vehicle being used to commit crimes has its plate covered/partially covered.... No ID can be made because a couple digits aren't visible.. Oh well... too bad so sad right? If only there was a law that made obstructed plates illegal, maybe cop would have pulled the car over before the crime was committed to do a check on the driver and the validity of the car's insurance... The val tag and plate are meant to be seen. Do you think it makes sense to allow drivers to drive around with a vehicle where the expiration date of the plate is unknown/ cannot be verified? If there wasn't a law to regulate it, people wouldn't bother putting the val tag/plates on their cars.. You may think everyone has common sense and is a good samaritan like yourself, but news flash, shit heads are amongst us all. There are laws for the most ridiculous things because people on their own are more or less...... for example, strata bylaws for buildings.. they are a pain in the ass, but it only takes one moron living in your building to ruin everything for everyone else.

Now as for the OP.. please post a pic of what you got dinged for. I would be very very VERY surprised if you got a ticket for a regular licence plate frame that had a cutout for the val tag to be seen.
Quite the selective reading skills you have there. Having a surrounding of a plate, one that does not cover, obstruct or impede the visibility of the plate SHOULD not be illegal as the purpose of this law is to insure that the plate is fully visible.
My arguments are already posed, if you don't wish to read the complete thread and what was posted then don't post.
Advertisement

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #52
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Quite the selective reading skills you have there. Having a surrounding of a plate, one that does not cover, obstruct or impede the visibility of the plate SHOULD not be illegal as the purpose of this law is to insure that the plate is fully visible.
My arguments are already posed, if you don't wish to read the complete thread and what was posted then don't post.
I read your posts. But I have yet to see a picture of OP's plate on a picture of one "similar" to his. If the plate does not cover the val tag or any of the numbers, I am in agreement with you. I would never ticket or even give a warning to someone with a frame that allows you to see the tag and plate numbers. If OP got a ticket for that, that really would suck. But I have a feeling he had one that blocked the val tag. And for the officer to say he could have gotten more than one charge, I have a feeling there was more to the story, and he probably got the lesser of multiple possible charges.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I read your posts. But I have yet to see a picture of OP's plate on a picture of one "similar" to his. If the plate does not cover the val tag or any of the numbers, I am in agreement with you. I would never ticket or even give a warning to someone with a frame that allows you to see the tag and plate numbers. If OP got a ticket for that, that really would suck. But I have a feeling he had one that blocked the val tag. And for the officer to say he could have gotten more than one charge, I have a feeling there was more to the story, and he probably got the lesser of multiple possible charges.
That is my thinking as well. I have NEVER come across a police officer that is so black and white that they would ticket for a plate surround that does not effect the visibility at all.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #54
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
OP said the officer told him he was gonna give him 2 tickets for plate obstruction. One for the front and one for the rear because both plates had the same clear plastic plate cover so the val tag isn't the issue.
The issue in this case, is an officer who didn't exercise proper judgement and used discretion in handling this case. Well, he did because he didn't issue 2 tickets for plate obstruction.

Yesterday, in Richmond, a girl was driver her car with a tinted cover over her plates and an RCMP officer was driving behind her and didn't pull her over. Lucky for her, unlucky for OP I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #55
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
OP said the officer told him he was gonna give him 2 tickets for plate obstruction. One for the front and one for the rear because both plates had the same clear plastic plate cover so the val tag isn't the issue.
The issue in this case, is an officer who didn't exercise proper judgement and used discretion in handling this case. Well, he did because he didn't issue 2 tickets for plate obstruction.

Yesterday, in Richmond, a girl was driver her car with a tinted cover over her plates and an RCMP officer was driving behind her and didn't pull her over. Lucky for her, unlucky for OP I guess.
Thanks for the clarification. Personally, I would only give out box 3s for something like that.. or have the covers removed on scene... If there is record of the vehicle having the same offence or similar offences, I may not be as lenient. It is all circumstantial. The clear cover is very different than a licence plate frame. Whether it was put on by the dealer or not, the officer (depending on his previous dealings) may have heard the "ignorance as excuse" 20 too many times to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he used discretion in the past and was burned by it.. I know I have.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #56
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Page 2 post #27 is an example of the exact plate cover op had. It's in a spoiler probably why you missed it.
steveo1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #57
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo1115 View Post
Page 2 post #27 is an example of the exact plate cover op had. It's in a spoiler probably why you missed it.
I did see it.. But I also noted that it said "similar to this" and not exactly like this. Not trying to knit pick, but I was not sure if it was indeed the exact same one or not. And in that picture I can only see a black frame, and didn't notice any clear cover.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #58

Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #59
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

anyways BJ is mailing me a cheque and they are going to pay for the ticket. case closed
terkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #60
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Guess that maybe they agreed with my post #20? Good for them for accepting responsibility. Wonder if they are still selling cars with the covers on them?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #61

Funny, but after this thread, I've been paying extra attention to cars and their plates when I am on the road.
One thing is for certain, a lot of dealerships put on those plate frames with their name on it and the owners don't bother taking off this advertisement for the dealerships.
But I also see a lot of tinted plastic plate covers or really old clear covers that have clouded over due to UV from the sun.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing