REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:43 AM   #26
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
DON'T rent a hall/wedding venue and hire caterers. Truthfully (this is coming from a chef who has catered many events) caterers absolutely fuck you in the ass. They shove garbage food in your face and charge you 10k for it.
Quoted for truth.

Been to a lot of weddings.

Caterers, for whatever reason, just don't cut it.

Get a location that also has its own restaurant/kitchen/etc.

------------

With that said... I have some experience on hosting private events, helping to organize some weddings for my friends:

Here are some suggestions based on your capacity requirements:

1- Spanish Hall/Room in Hotel Georgia Rosewood (you can request food from Hawksworth or the default Hotel Kitchen) - Stephanie Lou-Hing (if she still works as the organizer there) is FABULOUS.
2- Blue Water - the entire main room +++ the Pacific room joined will give you 170 to 220 people, but expect to pay through the roof because you'll be basically paying for the restaurants entire night's revenues, so it will be $20k to $30k at least (I inquired a while ago)... Stefan (sp.) is a prompt and Tara (who moved on) was on point in service.
3-Market by Jean Georges has an outdoor terrace option for about 80 people and an adjoining room (If I remember, was named "Conrad or Concord, forgot" room) can host another 100 people. The terrace can be enclosed if it rains. The food is good as well, and it's the 6th floor... so quite the ambiance... You don't have to buyout the restaurant's table space. They use Shangri-La's meeting rooms on the 6th floor for this +++ Market by Jean Georges food.
4-The roof top of the Vancouver Convention Centre though you'll have to cater here. The roof-top has greenery and enough room for your capacity.
5-Gleneagles golf course has a building that overlooks the public golf course.
6-The Vancouver Aquarium has its own kitchen but the food is only sub-par. Lots of buildings in the Aquarium - Arctic Gallery should be big enough for 170-220 and you are underground watching Belugas, and the Gallery has an Arctic Char display and other tidbits (Seals exhibit as well). Or the Tropical fish area, though 170 will be a tight fit.

Price is quite similar... about $100 per head, wine included (depends on how many bottles you pre-select, and/or open bar, etc.), unless you choose Blue Water which will be at least $150 and up (because you have to buy out the restaurant's tables).

Oh, and Hawksworth allow you to pay AFTER the dinner/wedding party (you just pay a deposit first and the rest later), whereas a lot of the other venues require full payment a day before the date.

Good luck.
Advertisement
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
Westwood plateau in poco
Northlands in langley
Northview in surrey
Northlands in Langley, eh?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #28
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Pretty sure he means Newlands..

I've been to a few weddings there. Good venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #29
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Castle Fun Park. They don't just have pizza. There's hot dogs and burgers, too. There's nothing like black-tie minigolf!
I might have to change my wedding venue
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
if you are budgeting $50 per plate/person and i am assuming:
175x50=8750 (15k)
225x50=11250 (22k)

almost half your budget is already to food.

without knowing any more details, i think you will be over budget. i'm thinking venue, photographers, flowers, decor, dj, transportation, suits, etc etc will easily cost you the other half unless you are having a really simple wedding and know a few people that can do stuff for you at a discount.
I couldn't agree more. we are looking to cut costs in different areas. I'm going to go over the invitation list and try and cut it down. I have a really good photographer thats a family friend and a good discount on a dj currently right now. flowers won't be a huge priority. We have a lot of people that i haven't talked to/seen in 5-10 years. once we weed through the guest list, it should help our budget drastically. hoping to drop about 40 guests
Old 10-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
I couldn't agree more. we are looking to cut costs in different areas. I'm going to go over the invitation list and try and cut it down. I have a really good photographer thats a family friend and a good discount on a dj currently right now. flowers won't be a huge priority. We have a lot of people that i haven't talked to/seen in 5-10 years. once we weed through the guest list, it should help our budget drastically. hoping to drop about 40 guests
You can bank on about 15-20% of your guests not being able to make it even with a cutdown list. People will have health issues, financial issues etc and you'll get surprising declines. Granted you can't book a place on that assumption but you might want to assume that 10% won't make it.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,535 Times in 1,154 Posts
I had mine recently at Riverway Golf Course in Burnaby..and it was near Marine and Byrne...go figure..
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #33
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
I had mine recently at Riverway Golf Course in Burnaby..and it was near Marine and Byrne...go figure..
Riverway has an awesome venue. A good buddy of mine got married there this summer. Wasn't as good of a deal compared to Westwood Plateau food wise (price and quality), but the venue is far and away nicer than most in the city.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #34
RS controls my life!

If your on a budget I'd suggest checking out hotels in Richmond. You can get fair prices and still have a nice hotel venue!

Check out the Westin Wall Centre. It can host up to 250 people dinner and dance.
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Maybe give these guys a call. They might be able to set you up good...

LYFE Event Planning | Live Young Forever

Spoiler!
the fuck did i just watch (the Halloween party)

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #36
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I highly recommend the Hilton Metrotown as a wedding venue.

I had my wedding reception there 6 years ago (to the exact day in 2 days) and it was excellent. The ballroom is quite large (we had 28 tables of 10, plus the head table, two buffet tables, podium, dj area, dance floor, and 2 juice tables) and it accomodated our needs. On top of that we had 2 open bars in the forier area, cocktails in the same area and full dessert buffet too!

The ballroom is located on its own floor and pretty much private from the rest of the hotel. It even has a patio area just outside the ballroom doors, along with washrooms on the same floor.

The location was also a big selling feature for us. We felt that having it in that particular part of Burnaby was quite central in the GVRD. Also, it's not as busy as most hotels/venues closer to the downtown Vancouver core.

As for price, it wasn't the cheapest place we found but definitely not the most expensive. In my opinion it was priced quite fair.

What it didn't have was a "spectacular view" or elaborate decor. Don't get me wrong, the place looks great but it's not Hotel Georgia or Westin Bayshore. But we were willing to give up the extra "wow it looks great" factor because it pretty much met all of our other criterias.

The wedding manager's name is Janelle. Last time I checked, she still works there. Very nice lady and easy to deal with.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #37
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

For true budget option try the Olympic Village Community Center. gorgeous views of false creek and science world. Think it was $1000 to rent the place out
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #38
Rs has made me the man i am today!

For my upcoming wedding next year, it will be in Richmond. So the fiance and I chose the Richmond Country Club. We have around 150 - 220 Guests as well. My sister and a few friends got married here as well, so it's pretty good. Awesome food too. For me, the top priority are my guests, so if the food is awesome and parking is cheap or free, I'm good.

Other venues we that we were very close to choosing includes:

Vancouver Convention Center
- best view ever
- food is catered by a 5 star chef (whatever that means)
- parking is a bit costly for the guests ($20 for the evening)
- would have picked this if I didn't lose some money on some option plays i did in 2012

Hart House
- Outdoor in a tent if you're in to that

My buddy just recently had his reception at Coast Harbour Hotel in DT. We would have considered this as well but missed out on this for some reason:

- food is pretty good
- underground parking is cheap for guests next door ($7-$8 for the night)
- venue it self is awesome aesthetically - has 20 ft. ceilings and has glass to glass walls overlooking the north shore ( you could see some water, but 80% buildings... still nice)
- venue cost was within my budget
Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Re: Hart House - It's $$$ to rent the tent. They quoted me $5K to get the tent and then a minimum spend of $100/guest pre-tax/tip.

That said, I attended a lunch hour wedding reception indoors and food and service was very good (the truffled mac and cheese was amazing). If you've got the $$$ the outdoor venue is pretty nice on a summer evening.

Re: Coast Coal Harbour - my wedding was $72/head for food this summer. They do not include things like chair covers etc but we did hold the ceremony at the hotel for "free".
Old 10-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #40
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Check out Jewel ballroom. Had my wedding there last year. Bit of a hidden gem in Vancouver.
Jewel Ballroom & Catering | Vancouver Venue Rentals, Event Hall, Weddings, & Catering
rymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #41
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

You can always pay for your guests valet parking. Our guests appreciated it.

We hired 2 valets for $300 from 3pm-11pm. We had almost 100 guest in a Yaletown restaurant venue.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote