REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Just a heads up, if you buy a diamond with setting from bluenile, almost no jeweler in GVR will provide resizing service to rings bought outside of their store

Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #27
Authorized RS.net Sponsor

Go talk to Phat (pat) at tim's platinum jewelers in White Rock.

I had gotten him to replicate a Birk's ring that the fiance loved, got the wedding band, first anniversary and my wedding band from him. Her three rings were $12k. All diamonds I picked from ones he had. All high quality high clarity ones.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I got my customized engagement ring for my fiance at Diamond Deals.

Nice people there and they really helped me customize the ring that best suited my fiance's finger.

They have two locations. Surrey and Downtown Vancouver Sinclair Centre. Need to call to book appointment.

Give them a call and check it out. Vancouver, Surrey, & Calgary Jewelers | Diamond Deals Jewellery
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #29
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I went with Spence and was happy with the experience. 1.3c solitaire diamond ring(looks like a Tiffany ring). Keep in mind the wedding band when picking the ring in case you get something too bulky
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
I skimmed the thread so not sure if it was mentioned previously, but do you think it's a good idea to propose at your friends' wedding?

I always thought that was kind of frowned upon for fear of 'stealing the thunder' from the bride and groom...
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #31

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Oh shit nick that's a really good point.

OP, if you propose in Maui, do not tell yor friends and make sure she does the same. Enjoy it privately as a couple and announce/celebrate when you get back. DONT BE THUNDER STEALING ASSHOLES
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #32
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I skimmed the thread so not sure if it was mentioned previously, but do you think it's a good idea to propose at your friends' wedding?

I always thought that was kind of frowned upon for fear of 'stealing the thunder' from the bride and groom...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Oh shit nick that's a really good point.

OP, if you propose in Maui, do not tell yor friends and make sure she does the same. Enjoy it privately as a couple and announce/celebrate when you get back. DONT BE THUNDER STEALING ASSHOLES
Not to mention your S/O might not be happy that you're proposing at someone else's wedding instead of making the night special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #33
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Figured I'd bump this thread back up rather than start a new one.

Long story short, my best friend since kindergarten and on-again, off-again girlfriend for many, many years and I have been talking long and hard about finally settling down together. (btw, spare me the lecture... lol... unless you know the full story, I wont listen to comments :P) I've pretty much got the vacation booked where I want to do it, but now I'm stuck on the ring. I know she wants either a blood opal or a black diamond as a main set stone. The opal I've pretty much ruled out because you can't find a ring with one that doesn't look like it belongs to either someone's grandma or is from the 14th century. In other words... So, that leaves me with an black diamond. Now, I didn't realize how hard they are to find locally. I've checked out a few places both in Kamloops and around Richmond/Vancouver and either jewellers don't carry them or they've been dyed. Unfortunately this leaves me looking online. The goal is to find a three-set ring with a black band, though I can make do with simply finding a black diamond somewhere and a cheaper pre-set ring elsewhere and ditching the main stone for the black one. Also, it has to be untreated. However, I'm stuck on places online to look. The websites mentioned previously in this thread don't sell black ones and the sites I've found seem either a little sketchy or are companies that I don't recognize.

Anyhoo, was hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. One website that I found, Gemvara, seems decently priced and the reviews I could find seemed relatively decent, but... well, it's the internet. I find it hard trusting random websites these days.

For reference, something like this... but with only three stones (one black, two white):

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #34
Retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Figured I'd bump this thread back up rather than start a new one.

Long story short, my best friend since kindergarten and on-again, off-again girlfriend for many, many years and I have been talking long and hard about finally settling down together. (btw, spare me the lecture... lol... unless you know the full story, I wont listen to comments :P) I've pretty much got the vacation booked where I want to do it, but now I'm stuck on the ring. I know she wants either a blood opal or a black diamond as a main set stone. The opal I've pretty much ruled out because you can't find a ring with one that doesn't look like it belongs to either someone's grandma or is from the 14th century. In other words... So, that leaves me with an black diamond. Now, I didn't realize how hard they are to find locally. I've checked out a few places both in Kamloops and around Richmond/Vancouver and either jewellers don't carry them or they've been dyed. Unfortunately this leaves me looking online. The goal is to find a three-set ring with a black band, though I can make do with simply finding a black diamond somewhere and a cheaper pre-set ring elsewhere and ditching the main stone for the black one. Also, it has to be untreated. However, I'm stuck on places online to look. The websites mentioned previously in this thread don't sell black ones and the sites I've found seem either a little sketchy or are companies that I don't recognize.

Anyhoo, was hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. One website that I found, Gemvara, seems decently priced and the reviews I could find seemed relatively decent, but... well, it's the internet. I find it hard trusting random websites these days.

For reference, something like this... but with only three stones (one black, two white):

I was wondering what crazy thread was going to make me come back on Revscene and of course it's Lomac's plans to get married!!

And I know your bloody story!!

ygpm. Like now!!!!

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #35
Head Moderator

I love you too.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Sorry for posting and not answering your question Lomac. (Btw, Congrats!). Just wanted to say how this thread has opened my eyes and surprised me on the fact that not all girls have to have a diamond! Woot lol

My mom has some sort of "red" stone ring, not sure what type of stone it actually is, and keeps telling me to find a GF who would take that as an engagement ring. In my mind, I was thinking "don't all girls want diamonds?"

Anywho, just thought I'd share something. Food for thought.

My brother recently got engaged, and he says (and other people he heard from, all say) that the "right" amount to spend on a ring is ~3x your monthly salary.

IE: if you make 5000 a month, then you should buy ~15,000 dollar ring. Seems crazy to me, but then again, I'm sure a bunch of us here have dumped crazy dollars on "useless" car parts too ;P
Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #37

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
The 3x your monthly salary figure is just marketing from debeers from when people were more gullible. It's just BS.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #38
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
^ exactly that. If what you spend on the ring is even remotely relevant to her, you shouldn't be marrying her IMO.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #39
Head Moderator

No way I'm spending 3x my monthly salary. I'll buy something that she will be excited about, but I'm not spending a ton of money just because some advertising company from ages ago told me that's what I should do.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #40

I just sorted out what 3x my monthly salary actually equates to... yeah there's no way some company is getting that much for a cleaned up rock and some metal. I'll be spending about 2% of what that stupid ad campaign says I should spend
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 11-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,747 Times in 699 Posts
Quote:
No way I'm spending 3x my monthly salary. I'll buy something that she will be excited about, but I'm not spending a ton of money just because some advertising company from ages ago told me that's what I should do.
You want to get her a black diamond? Isn't that going to be super expensive?
I would think that alone would be more than 3x your monthly salary.. Unless you're bill gates.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #42
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
You want to get her a black diamond? Isn't that going to be super expensive?
I would think that alone would be more than 3x your monthly salary.. Unless you're bill gates.
It's actually not as expensive as one would think. Just REALLY hard to find. A sapphire and an emerald appear to cost more than a black diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #43
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Spending 3 months salary on a ring is silly. A half carot diamond with a basic solitaire setting can easily be had for under 3K. Solitaire settings will never go out of style.

Spend your precious cash on the honeymoon. You won't regret it if you do.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #44
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

make sure you schedule your ring onto your insurance policy before you head off for the trip if you're taking it overseas.

FYI ....my wife and are infinitely glad that we didnt overspend on the rings. a bigger down payment or vacation was more appealing to us.
We custom made our ring, and got a half carat VVS1. After seeing a bunch of my friends get married.. I can safely say that the quality of the diamond was more important than its size.

Last edited by iam_dan; 11-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #45

Came across this today, thought it might help you guys out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://imgur.com/gallery/GuPzI

TL;DR moissanite is a naturally-occuring, and scientifically manufacturable gemstone that obliterates diamonds in every category, and is about 3-4 times cheaper. It is an entirely separate gemstone, NOT a diamond simulant like cubic zirconia. Read on if you'd like to save a few bucks in the near future. (warning you now: this post is long.)

Sources: Diamonds Suck! A Personal Essay on the Virtues of Moissanite and Why You Should NEVER Buy a Diamond (full description, charts, side-by-side comparisons, and brief explanation of diamond inflation.) <---visit this site! google (for cost per carat pricing. current diamond average is about $3,000-3,600/carat. Moissanite is about $400-800/carat).

Posting this because I want you all to know two things: (1) diamonds are an incredible rip-off, and (2) moissanite is superior to diamonds in virtually every way: cut, color, clarity, durability, fire, brilliance, and cost.

So what is moissanite? Moissanite is a rare, naturally-occuring gemstone, discovered by Henri Moissan, that is typically found in very small quantities in meteorites, corundum deposits, and kimberlite. (The chemical name of moissanite is Silicon Carbide and it is recreatable in laboratories.)

Moissanite has several qualitites in common with diamond: it is transparent, extremely hard (9.25 on the Mohs scale, compared to 10 for diamond), and has a high index of refraction (2.65 - 2.69, compared to 2.42 for diamond). When a large rough moissanite sample is cut and polished, the end result is a very bright, brilliant, transparent gemstone that is indistinguishable from diamond to the human eye.

In this picture, moissanite clearly destroys diamonds in the brilliance or "fire" contest. Brilliance is the "sparkle" or shine that most people seek when shopping for diamond jewelry. It is one of the main reasons why diamonds are so sought after. However, as shown in the picture, diamonds are not even close to the "shiniest" gemstone. So why are they so popular?

The answer is simple: advertising. How many of you have ever seen a moissanite commercial on tv? I'm guessing not very many of you. I only discovered it after flipping through the channels and seeing it on a paid programming infomercial. After researching it further, and eventually purchasing some moissanite jewelry, I can tell you without a doubt that diamonds are nothing special.

When most people see moissanite, the first thing they say is "omg that is so beautiful! is it real?" And my response is usually, what do you mean by "real?" And they say, "real diamond, of course." You see, in American society, (can't speak for other countries) diamonds have been presented as the "standard" for beauty and perfection in jewelry.

Whether it's Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Christmas, an Anniversary, or even your SO's birthday, there is no question, diamonds are the best. If you love a woman, you get her a DIAMOND. It doesn't matter what it is--earrings, a necklace, a bracelet. As long as it is sparkly and expensive. But where does this idea come from? Well let's take a look at some common phrases and song titles I'm sure you've all heard.
-"Diamonds are Forever," a movie released in 1971 and a very popular song released by Shirley Bassey the following year.
-"Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend," a song introduced by Carol Channing in the original Broadway production of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes in 1949, and later popuplarized further by Marilyn Monroe. (1953)
-"Diamonds from Sierra Leone" a Grammy-winning song by Kanye West (2005) The song contains a sample of 1971 song "Diamonds Are Forever," performed by Shirley Bassey (listed above).
-"Diamonds," a song released by singer Rihanna (2012). The catchy hook repeats "shine bright like a diamond."

There are more but this post is already long enough and I'm sure you all see where this is going. Not saying that music artists are all part of some giant, super-secret conspiracy to inflate the price of diamonds--not saying that at all. But what I am saying is that these artists have power. The power of influence. It's simple subliminal messaging. Does Kanye West care if you buy a diamond? Of course not. But the mere fact that someone as popular as Kanye West, or Marilyn Monroe for that matter, is mentioning them simply boosts the popularity of the stone.

So how many songs have you ever heard about good ol' moissanite? None? I thought so. It's because there simply isn't a market for it. The website listed above explains how the price of diamonds has been artificially inflated since as early as the 1880's by the De Beers diamond cartel. The plan? Tell the public two things:

1. Diamonds are incredibly rare. (this "fact" alone will make almost anything seem valuable to the uniformed.)
2. Diamonds are the shiniest, brightest, most beautiful stone in the world.

(If the mainstream public ever finds out these first two statements are lies, they are screwed^)

And there you go. Take those two ideas and eventually we end up with today's "If a man truly loves a woman, he will sacrifice and spend big bucks on diamond to show his love for her." The unspoken rule is that the ring (for wedding proposals) should cost about 2-3 month's salary. BULLSHIT.

Listen up everyone. There is something you need to know. A diamond is a ROCK. @TheBOULDER No but seriously, it's just carbon. I'm sure you all know this from science class. But it's just a rock. A common (not this ultra rare key to a woman's pants like the commercials would have you believe) rock that be found all over the globe. A rock that is vastly inferior to another rock: moissanite.

So at the end of the day, there is literally NO REASON to buy a diamond, other than to be able to brag to your friends that you bought your girlfriend a diamond. Or if you are a woman, to be able to brag to your friends that your boyfriend bought you a diamond. That's it. Because if you want a diamond for any of it's physical qualities, you're going to be buying an inferior product for 3-4 times the price, which is stupid.

My hope is that you all won't just take my word for it, but will actually research this gemstone for yourselves, and see the light. I am a strong supporter of moissanite (obviously) and absolutely despise the diamond industry. Not only does it lie to the public, but people actually DIE looking for these rocks. (See the movie "Blood Diamond" if you don't understand.) And I can't support people dying for rocks. Sorry @TheBOULDER. Happy Holidays everyone!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
^ Yeah, diamonds are kind of pointless, but you have to pick your battles. Diamond cut and quality are more important than size, so if you must get a diamond, focus on those things. Sure, women talk about their rings, but men talk about their cars. Pick your battles and don't be hypocritical.

If you're fretting about the cost of the diamond, then cut back on the ceremony itself. After all, most women just need to wear a white dress and have a diamond, that's it. All of the other stuff is just unnecessary fluff that is meant for others.

Happy wife, happy life.

Last edited by Tapioca; 11-21-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #47
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Serious question: If she's not into "bling," then does it have to be a diamond ring? In my case, I know my girlfriend would rather be given a blood opal than a diamond. Another friend of mine had a titanium band made with custom etchings done on it. It's obviously a case of YMMV, but it's usually being popped The Question that gets them excited rather than the ring.
Never, ever get a titanium ring. It's a recipe for disaster.

Talk to custom jewelry professional, they will all tell you how if you ever break your finger, your doctor won't be able to cut titanium ring, and your finger will swell like crazy in worst case scenario, your finger will have to be amputated.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #48

You can cut a titanium ring, it's just a bit harder to do.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #49
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

LOOOOOVE my Moissanite and have barely taken my eyes off of it in the over 3 months I've had it. Highly recommended, but they don't come in black. Also agree about the titanium, having had a titanium ring before...very hard to get it resized, if you can find anyone who will do it at all. Titanium also becomes visibly scratched pretty easily through normal wear.
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #50
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Even tho i literally spent a long time researching on PS before finally spending double digits on my custom Tacori ring, at the end of the day, specs are just specs just like benchmark scores.

It doesn't really matter in the real world unless you are bragging about it and comparing scores.

Just get something that looks nice to your eyes and that's good enough. Don't waste your time concerning with what would happen if someone puts their Triple Excellent D IF stone next to hers, because most people probably can't even see the difference when they are just glancing at rings

And no, definitely do not spend 3 months salary lol

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote