REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Selling a phone without getting scammed

I've read a few stories where people have been scammed when selling their phone. Over the weekend I sold my Iphone to a complete stranger from craigslist and I thought I'd share how it happened as it was successful and very safe.

The setup:
- Emailed the buyer and outlined my terms: meet at a Telus location, bring cash in all new style bills $20's and $10's only.
- Buyer requested IMEI, I mentioned I was not comfortable, but they can ask whatever questions at Telus and/or Apple
- Set up meeting time and stated I will re-confirm 1.5hrs prior to meeting time, if no response I will not go ahead with the deal
- Requested buyer bring BCDL and stated I will provide a receipt

The meet up:
- Met buyer at Telus at local mall and authorized Telus rep to answer whatever questions the buyer had (it was re: IMEI being lost/stolen)
- Walked to Apple store and buyer asked questions about being unlocked and I authorized apple rep to answer questions about the phone and it's potential issues and once buyer was happy asked apple rep to "reset" the phone in front of the buyer.

The transaction:
- Asked the buyer to sign the contract (see pic) and each of got a copy
- Exchanged cash

contract.jpg

Some may say this is too much, but I didn't want to be scammed or scam the buyer. I felt this protected both of us.

Hopefully this thread helps someone...
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
That seems a bit much. That's why I don't buy use phones anymore and only sell on RS. Actually I meet up with a few RS member at the apple store to verify my Iphone is good and never black list. Even have the Apple care too. I don't like to scam ppl and don't want to be scam lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
I STILL don't get it

thats pretty excessive to walk to both stores. But the receipt thing is also what I do when I am a buyer or a seller. Just for ease of mind for everyone involved
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I find the written contract part may be a bit too much, but better safe than sorry I guess.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
+1 on being too much. Especially the BCDL part.

You still haven't answered me on the other thread. While this 'protects' the buyer, how does it make any different to the "seller"/you? In what way would "it go south" for the seller? Being accused/sued for a false phone?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
if anything were to happen would the contract actually protect u or the buyer in anyway?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
the whole reason craigstlist exsits the majority of times is for people to do hand to hand transactions, quickly and simply. if some one tried to give me that buying/selling a phone, it would be strange.
your a random why would i give u and email phone number and bcdl?

but if it works for you, go for it!
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
100% overkill
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
I would say just sell to people on RS, but everyone here is such a lowballer
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 03:40 AM   #10
Got MOD?

All I do when I sell a phone is let them try their sim and check imei. When that's done they give me cash. Giving out a bcdl to a complete stranger I wouldn't do. Rather not do the dale if it was me.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
+1 on being too much. Especially the BCDL part.

You still haven't answered me on the other thread. While this 'protects' the buyer, how does it make any different to the "seller"/you? In what way would "it go south" for the seller? Being accused/sued for a false phone?
counterfeit cash
claims some issue with the phone wants money back with non stop emails

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
kudos for posting contract... i too am nervous as hell to buy a used phone off craigslist unless it was a source i was familiar with. i may use the above contract but reduce it a bit.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
counterfeit cash
You're not going to be able to do anything if you're paid with counterfeit cash. For all you know, the person has no idea that he's paying you with counterfeit cash, and even if he did, there's no way you could possibly prove that the cash was from him.

Once the buyer has tested the phone and cash has been exchanged then the deal is finalized. Emailing you constantly wanting to get their money back shouldn't even matter to you.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
counterfeit cash
for counterfeit cash I always ask for new bills so you won't have to worry about being scammed that way.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,895 Posts
As a buyer, what is to prevent seller from blacklisting the phone a few weeks later (as I have read some stories on here as well). Do you at Telus/Provider also transfer ownership to buyer? Of course, if that happened, you got seller info and you can call the cops but that's a lot of hassle.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I never had an issue selling phones on CL and here. I usually go with the gut thing. If something seems off or if this looks like a pain in the ass I will skip the buyer. Saves a lot of time and work.

Last time I posted an iPhone on CL I had 10 emails in an hour.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Straight up I would not give all my personal info as a buyer, no way.

I met up with this clown off craiglist to sell my 5, 5 was pretty banged up but I was selling it for a good price. So it turns out it's this young kid and his dad (kid is probably 14-16) I meet them at the McDonald's near metro and of course they are late. When they do show up the dad walks up to ME, flash light on his phone on, filming me as they walk up...

Proceeded that the dumbass didn't realize that you needed a nano sim for the 5

After he realized he couldn't test it and wasted both our time I asked the dad a) why are you filming me? And B) if this was a scam, what exactly is filming me going to do if I was to scam you? You don't know my name, email address is a random address I use for spam etc. You don't know my number I text on isn't just some burner ohone?

Said if you're that worried about getting scammed over $200 you probably shouldn't be buying used phones.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
^how did the buyer respond?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Bring along the Revscene Beatdown Crew. That's your safest bet.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
I know it's been said, but that does seem like a bit of overkill...if I were buying a phone and the guy asked for my license, I'd probably walk away.

I sold a phone last week on craigslist, guy showed up at my house, tested the phone, paid me in $20's, and that was that.

As long as you use your common sense and look out for some flags going up, it's mostly fine.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #21
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Straight up I would not give all my personal info as a buyer, no way.

I met up with this clown off craiglist to sell my 5, 5 was pretty banged up but I was selling it for a good price. So it turns out it's this young kid and his dad (kid is probably 14-16) I meet them at the McDonald's near metro and of course they are late. When they do show up the dad walks up to ME, flash light on his phone on, filming me as they walk up...

Proceeded that the dumbass didn't realize that you needed a nano sim for the 5

After he realized he couldn't test it and wasted both our time I asked the dad a) why are you filming me? And B) if this was a scam, what exactly is filming me going to do if I was to scam you? You don't know my name, email address is a random address I use for spam etc. You don't know my number I text on isn't just some burner ohone?

Said if you're that worried about getting scammed over $200 you probably shouldn't be buying used phones.
That sounds pretty bad .. almost as bad as making up an entire contract for the sale of a cell phone
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #22
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
^how did the buyer respond?
He didn't really know what to say, I just got up and left. Luckily I was on my way to the airport or I eould have driven 25 minutes to meet up for nothing.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I made a seemless sale of a Galaxy S5 this past weekend with a fellow revscene member. He asked for the imei, I told him no problem I'll hand it over with cash in hand.

We met up I had a peice of paper with the imei, my name signed, the date, and price. At the end of the day the purchaser takes the risk of buying a used phone. I had no problem doing that so he's covering his ass. I asked for new bills, the whole process took 5mins.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #24
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
counterfeit cash
That doesn't protect you from counterfeit cash at all.
You might as well note down every $20 bill's serial number on your contract if you do that.

Better yet, make it a third step.
1) Meet buyer at Telus together
2) Then Apple
3) Then make the buyer go to the bank with you and only let him leave after you deposited your cash

As for constant e-mails, it's not that hard to create a separate junk / non-personal e-mail before selling your phone. Pretty sure most people have a least 3+ emails anyways. If he keeps e-mailing you? Just filter it to spam mail.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #25
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Sold an iPhone 4 on cl before, met buyer at mcdonalds, tested their simcard, didnt ask for imei, paid in $20s.

bcrdukes was outside in the escape vehicle if shit hit the fan, told him 5 mins, if im not back you know what to do.