REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Whistler Drive (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698906-whistler-drive.html)

RuffleCopterz 10-14-2014 08:53 PM

Whistler Drive

Whistler Maps, Directions & Road Conditions | Whistler Blackcomb

Came across this saying there are road block checking for vehicles without snow tires or chains... how often does this happen? I am heading up there with all season tires in early December, anyone with past experience go through this?

Mr.C 10-14-2014 09:03 PM

Don't be a cheap-ass. Get chains or winter tires.

mickz 10-14-2014 09:56 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_I0AfeDWPpA.../Car+Ditch.jpg

smoothie. 10-14-2014 10:00 PM

Get both.

Stayed for new years a few years ago, and my snow tires were hard as rock every morning with excessive wheelspin and abs lockups at every intersection till they warmed up. :lawl:

Krayzie135 10-14-2014 11:43 PM

I went up last weekend and didnt even know about this rule. Dont hate i just moved back after 5 years. Good thing its still warm out but its a little early for the winters

KDMofo 10-14-2014 11:45 PM

Slightly off topic, Im heading to Osoyoos next week and was wondering if I should drive even though Im on summers. No signs of snow, and it's suppose to be dry/sunny the whole weekend. I didn't know of this rule and was going to take chains up just in case but now thinking of cancelling...

Also do they only do road blocks when the snow comes out/during a blizzard or randomly from oct to march.

No plans for driving in the snow this year, and very slowly in the rain.

Zedbra 10-15-2014 06:48 AM

The popo have been setting up more roadblocks just north of Squamish - especially on days when the snow flakes are flying. Personally, I like that they are doing this because it's the ass hats in summer/all season tires that really make it dangerous on the roads. Buy some chains, they are a cheap investment and will pay for themselves even if you just use them once. Ever wait for a tow truck on a snowy day?

As for Osoyoos, the roads are probably clear right now but when there is snow, that highway is not as well maintained as others. Add the hills, tight turns, and it is a white knuckle drive in the snow even with proper tires.

meme405 10-15-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8543713)
The popo have been setting up more roadblocks just north of Squamish - especially on days when the snow flakes are flying. Personally, I like that they are doing this because it's the ass hats in summer/all season tires that really make it dangerous on the roads. Buy some chains, they are a cheap investment and will pay for themselves even if you just use them once. Ever wait for a tow truck on a snowy day?

The problem is those people who are the ones stupid enough to try and head up on summers, are the same people who won't stop to put on their chains until they get stuck blocking traffic, or end up in the ditch.

This year I have studded winters for the work horse. Not really brilliant as I am dreading the road noise, but the truck is going to be up in Fort St. James, and Prince George for the next 8-10 months, so it's the price you pay.

Last year I was up in PG with just winters, and the LWB was just wayy too unstable on highway runs. Definitely regretting the choosing the Long box over the regular box.

saucywoman 10-15-2014 07:11 AM

Sorry but you've gotta be stupid to attempt the coq or crows nest pass on summers in October as there's a high chance of them getting a snow fall. Even if no snow, the roads could stay cold and therefore be icy. We rarely get snow here but from my experience in the interior snow can come in October, especially on high mountain passes

murd0c 10-15-2014 07:37 AM

I have year round winter tires and they are great!!

CCA-Dave 10-15-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8543716)
The problem is those people who are the ones stupid enough to try and head up on summers, are the same people who won't stop to put on their chains until they get stuck blocking traffic, or end up in the ditch.

Also the people who drive up illegally on all-seasons or summers because the weather is nice, only to have to return home in a snowstorm.

Tires are the only thing connecting you to the road, can't understand why people are so cheap about them. Spend thousands and thousands on a car, but when it comes to tires buy the cheapest crap they can find.

-Dave

Hondaracer 10-15-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8543724)
I have year round winter tires and they are great!!

Me too, BFG All-Terrains for the win, best tires I've owned.

RuffleCopterz 10-15-2014 09:10 AM

Only going to be a 4 day trip :( and will never use again in Bc...

murd0c 10-15-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8543757)
Me too, BFG All-Terrains for the win, best tires I've owned.

Duratracs FTW

rriggi 10-15-2014 09:22 AM

lol buddy tried to drive up to whistler in a H1 with super swamper bogger tires and was told he couldn't pass through because they were not snow tires.

After a bit of an argument they let him through anyways..

murd0c 10-15-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8543763)
lol buddy tried to drive up to whistler in a H1 with super swamper bogger tires and was told he couldn't pass through because they were not snow tires.

boggers are horrible on the road and even worse on snow/ice.

Krayzie135 10-15-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz (Post 8543759)

its a good idea to have them on in the winter anyways. They will save you on the black ice!!

m3thods 10-15-2014 10:13 AM

You can probably sell winters pretty quick on CL locally because people don't like paying full msrp on them anyways. Advertising that they're used for just 4 days should get you a good amount back. Pretty small investment for safety, but that's just me.

Spoon 10-15-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Buy a set of snow chains from Canadian Tire and throw them in the trunk. If the weather/road condition warrants them or if you get checked, put them on. If the weather doesn't require them, return them back to the store and get your money back.

Just be sensible. It's $100-200 that avoids ruining your vacation plans or possibly save your life.

originalhypa 10-15-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8543629)
Get both.

Stayed for new years a few years ago, and my snow tires were hard as rock every morning with excessive wheelspin and abs lockups at every intersection till they warmed up. :lawl:

Werd.
The wife makes me take the Odyssey when we go to our cabin, and the snowies alone don't do shit on a day when the snow packs in.

So I spent $320 on chains. They suck to put on, and they suck to drive with. But as you can tell I'm prepared to keep my family out of that ditch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8543763)

Fucking RCMP at Hemlock mtn turned me away in an H1 with boggers back in the day. Good thing they did, because that road was treacherous that day.

rriggi 10-15-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8543772)
boggers are horrible on the road and even worse on snow/ice.

On ice they were terrible, but in the snow once you aired down, it took a bit of effort to try and get it to loose traction

murd0c 10-15-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8543813)
On ice they were terrible, but in the snow once you aired down, it took a bit of effort to try and get it to loose traction

the issue with boggers is the lugs pull you to the side and they dig when you want to be floating on top of the snow. The only thing they are good for these days is mud

Zedbra 10-15-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8543787)
Buy a set of snow chains from Canadian Tire and throw them in the trunk. If the weather/road condition warrants them or if you get checked, put them on. If the weather doesn't require them, return them back to the store and get your money back.

Just be sensible. It's $100-200 that avoids ruining your vacation plans or possibly save your life.

You cannot return chains - all sales final. They are a small price to pay for the one time you may need them. I have them for both my truck and car, needed them a few times now.

RS_Pat 10-15-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Take a bus if you are worried... Pacific Coach Lines has a cheaper rate for lower mainland residents.