REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #51
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
-OP had the remote that made the car move forward (Care and control)

Having a remote starter is different than having a remote that just unlocks/locks a vehicle.

-You can get an impaired driving charge for simply walking to your car but not driving it

For care and control, you have to meet certain elements. Walking up to your car is not, and would never get charge approval from Crown.

-You can get a distracted driving ticket for simply moving your phone (not using it) while stopped at a light (not actively driving)

that is because there is a specific law stating you cannot even hold your phone in your hand. I am sure you have seen this http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/share...le-driving.pdf
What has been established by the laws I've referenced is that you don't have to be driving your car to be charged under the electronic device regulations, you don't even have to be in your car to be charged under the drink-driving regs, so therefore if the OP had the remote that caused his car to start and move, he was very much in care and control of the vehicle and the charge of driving without due care could very well stand.
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #52
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
that is because there is a specific law stating you cannot even hold your phone in your hand. I am sure you have seen this http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/share...le-driving.pdf
And what line in the MVA supports the claim in that document that a device being used for music playback needs to be securely mounted (and not loose in a cup holder for example)?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #53
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
What has been established by the laws I've referenced is that you don't have to be driving your car to be charged under the electronic device regulations, you don't even have to be in your car to be charged under the drink-driving regs, so therefore if the OP had the remote that caused his car to start and move, he was very much in care and control of the vehicle and the charge of driving without due care could very well stand.
Give me one case where someone was convicted for impaired care and control, where the accused was not inside their car. And I am not talking about a driver who WAS in the car, drove drunk, and was found outside later, where continuity was established.. I am talking about your exact example of someone who is intoxicated and was simply walking towards their car.

Quote:
And what line in the MVA supports the claim in that document that a device being used for music playback needs to be securely mounted (and not loose in a cup holder for example)?
This. Since the PDF is directly from the Gov of BC....

Power to make regulations
214.6 The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:

(a) prescribing classes or types of electronic devices for the purposes of paragraph (c) of the definition of "electronic device" in section 214.1;
(b) setting out actions for the purposes of paragraph (d) of the definition of "use" in section 214.1;
(c) for the purposes of section 214.4 (c), setting out the manner in which, or the extent to which, a hands-free electronic device may be used in a telephone function;
(d) for the purposes of section 214.5;
(e) regulating the installation or mounting of classes or types of electronic devices in motor vehicles;
(f) exempting or excluding, with or without conditions, classes or types of electronic devices, classes of persons or classes of vehicles or classes of persons while driving or operating a motor vehicle or class of motor vehicle from the operation of a provision of this Part.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #54
I subscribe to Revscene

1) Zulu has repeatedly said over the years here that drivers can be charged for drunk-driving since the vehicle is under their care and control.

2) Great - now we can be charged for things that don't even appear in the act, but on a PDF full of crappy pictures clipped and edited by 5 year olds. (Not even linked to by the relevant section in the act...)
Better write me a crapload of tickets then, I've been setting my phone in the cupholder almost daily to play music for the last few years now. Securely mounted vs. in a cupholder - I wonder what genius came up with the logic for that one... the same 5 year old that clipped the photos for the PDF?

Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #55
RS Veteran

Quote:
1) Zulu has repeatedly said over the years here that drivers can be charged for drunk-driving since the vehicle is under their care and control.

2) Great - now we can be charged for things that don't even appear in the act, but on a PDF full of crappy pictures clipped and edited by 5 year olds. (Not even linked to by the relevant section in the act...)
Better write me a crapload of tickets then, I've been setting my phone in the cupholder almost daily to play music for the last few years now. Securely mounted vs. in a cupholder - I wonder what genius came up with the logic for that one... the same 5 year old that clipped the photos for the PDF?
Your interpretations are just as ridiculous and childish as the 5 year olds that you claim to have put together that PDF.

Someone sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle, drunk, and the keys in the ignition (whether the car is on or not) can be considered in care and control. The car does not have to be in motion. When did Zulu ever say that someone walking to their, or A car, could be charged? I guess whenever you have a few drinks, you leave your car remote/key at home, since you believe the simple act of having your car keys in your possession constitutes care and control..
Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #56
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Your interpretations are just as ridiculous and childish as the 5 year olds that you claim to have put together that PDF.

Someone sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle, drunk, and the keys in the ignition (whether the car is on or not) can be considered in care and control. The car does not have to be in motion. When did Zulu ever say that someone walking to their, or A car, could be charged? I guess whenever you have a few drinks, you leave your car remote/key at home, since you believe the simple act of having your car keys in your possession constitutes care and control..
So if I was out drinking one night and end up sleeping it off in my car in either the back seat or passenger seat with the keys not in the ignition ie in the glove box, could I still be given a ticket for driving while intoxicated?
I understand why with the keys in the ignition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #57
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
So if I was out drinking one night and end up sleeping it off in my car in either the back seat or passenger seat with the keys not in the ignition ie in the glove box, could I still be given a ticket for driving while intoxicated?
I understand why with the keys in the ignition.
It all depends on the circumstance. I can't say yes or no but I can say it will be hard to argue that you had intentions to drive or operate a vehicle while sitting in the back seat. If you were sitting in the driver's seat it may or may not matter whether the keys are in the ignition or not, but it definitely does not help your cause if it were. A ticket would be the least of your concerns if you were being investigated for Impaired care and control.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #58
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Dear Spidey...if it rains tomorrow will I get wet? Dear Sebbery....no you will not, because you never went outside....or yes you will....if you don't wear a raincoat ...but if you do only parts of you might wet...if they were not inside the coat. Sorry.....couldn't resist. My bad.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #59
I subscribe to Revscene

The solution is simple - have the government regulate precisely how our raincoats must be done up and how much they must cover. That way nobody gets wet.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #60
RS Peace Officer

But what about those of us...."Freemen of the Land"....who refuse to wear raincoats because they have sprayed themselves with silicone spray that repels the water? Life is just not that simple you know.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #61
I subscribe to Revscene

People making decisions for themselves? Never, we can't have that.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #62
RS Veteran

If everyone were able to make sensible decisions for themselves (or even at all for that matter), there would be no need for "law", and subsequently Police.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #63
I subscribe to Revscene

At this week's IRSU discussion on job security: pressuring the Justice ministry for more and more regulations under which to stop and fine drivers.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #64
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps the same way they can levy a drunk-driving charge on an intoxicated individual for walking up to his car to get something out of it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #65
RS Veteran

Although the majority of what Sebberry complains about (aside from highway speed limits) are the lack of discretion officers use... he fails to recognize that 99.99999% of police work IS discretion. Could you imagine if every offender were charged under Municipal, Provincial, and Criminal Code offences they committed?

The odd driver who posts here, and other forums about how they were not given a break and ticketed for what they believe were an unjust offence, probably got away with 100+ other offences they committed in the past, and probably continue to commit in the future.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #66
I subscribe to Revscene

Getting a ticket for taking your phone out of your pocket to move it somewhere else isn't using discretion. The police have been screaming for extra power to fight distracted driving, then they go and apply it to situations that are less distracting than that good looking lady crossing the road in front of your car...

It's not discretion, it's fishing.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #67
RS Peace Officer

Then don't swim around with yer mouth open iffin ya don't wanna get hooked.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #68
RS Veteran

Quote:
Getting a ticket for taking your phone out of your pocket to move it somewhere else isn't using discretion. The police have been screaming for extra power to fight distracted driving, then they go and apply it to situations that are less distracting than that good looking lady crossing the road in front of your car...

It's not discretion, it's fishing.
It is discretion.. The officer saw it... Decided to pull the car over... and then with whatever information he obtained from the driver and and/or information from the driver's driving history, DECIDED to issue a ticket, using his discretion.

I have done both, where I have gotten on the PA, and called driver(s) out, rather than pulling them over. As a driver getting busted at a red light using their phone... so they got caught, what?, once out of every red light they hit during their commute for the last year? Seems like a pretty good ratio... Driver def got their money's worth to me!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #69
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
It is discretion.. The officer saw it... Decided to pull the car over... and then with whatever information he obtained from the driver and and/or information from the driver's driving history, DECIDED to issue a ticket, using his discretion.
Except the rest of the story goes like this: Court date arrives, cop apologizes for his aggressive manners that night, admits he overstepped his boundaries and withdraws the ticket.

So no, they don't always use their discretion at the roadside.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #70
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Of course not ya goof, nothing is even an absolute. Except for the part about nothing being an absolute, which is in fact an absolute.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #71
RS Veteran

Quote:
Except the rest of the story goes like this: Court date arrives, cop apologizes for his aggressive manners that night, admits he overstepped his boundaries and withdraws the ticket.

Yes this happens 100% of the time... If this were the case, no MVA charges would go to trial. The fact that the officer in your "scenario" withdrew the charge sounds like discretion to me. So again, they DO use discretion. Are you done wasting everyone's time on here, or is your trolling level at its all time high?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #72
RS Peace Officer

Maybe he's lookin' fer open mouths with his big, sharp hook?
Old 10-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #73
Banned (ABWS)

Just pay the fee man
dotdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #74
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Forgot to update this thread last week.

So prior to my hearing I called the officer requesting his notes. He was really helpful with how the process was suppose to go and what I needed to exactly do. So I just flat out asked him if he would consider a lesser charge that wouldn't put me at risk to lose my license. Right away he said of course, seeming almost relieved that I asked, and he said he was re-thinking his charge anyways and said he would come up with something more appropriate before the court date and we would just go in and request a change.

I can't exactly remember which charge he went with but I believe it was something along the lines of negligence causing vehicle malfunction. It was only $109. I'll get the exact wording when my ticket is updated.

The judge actually laughed at what happened when the officer explained it, asked if I caught it on video.

Anyways, thanks for all the help everyone, all the feedback was greatly appreciated!
Jgresch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #75
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Forgot to update this thread last week.

So prior to my hearing I called the officer requesting his notes. He was really helpful with how the process was suppose to go and what I needed to exactly do. So I just flat out asked him if he would consider a lesser charge that wouldn't put me at risk to lose my license. Right away he said of course, seeming almost relieved that I asked, and he said he was re-thinking his charge anyways and said he would come up with something more appropriate before the court date and we would just go in and request a change.

I can't exactly remember which charge he went with but I believe it was something along the lines of negligence causing vehicle malfunction. It was only $109. I'll get the exact wording when my ticket is updated.

The judge actually laughed at what happened when the officer explained it, asked if I caught it on video.

Anyways, thanks for all the help everyone, all the feedback was greatly appreciated!

Happy endings are the best!
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: