REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #276
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
second winter with my K02's, was driving all over east van side streets, icey main streets etc. with an empty truck, almost no sliding or slipping whatsoever, very happy with the winter performance of these tires
I've already taken them off trail into some crusty snow and they're OK there, not the greatest but pretty good all things considered.
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #277
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
My GY Duratracs performed flawlessly in the snow. Hastings was a gong show so I took the side roads that led up to Capitol hill where the snow was over 1 ft high. Left the center lock on for 4wd high and the truck never missed. Controlled braking was just as good.
Took the truck to some unplowed lots up on SFU and had no issues whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #278
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

I got Michelin Alpin PA4 for my 2016 Accord on the stock 19in wheels.

Drove the Coquihalla highway up to Kelowna on Monday night, ran into a snow storm lol. Drove back this afternoon with frozen roads. Flawless performance. Great control.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #279
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I'm planning on getting Nokian WRG3's for my 2009 Acura MDX tomorrow from Kal Tire. I screwed myself by leaving this to last minute but anyone have some feedback if that is going to be a good tire for all year around use? I'm looking for a tire that can still perform in maybe a foot or so of snow while still being avg/good for general use.

I'm hoping with the Acura SH-AWD system and the anticipated snow we are expecting that I should be good to go. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
rich80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #280
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,914 Times in 3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich80 View Post
I'm hoping with the Acura SH-AWD system and the anticipated snow we are expecting that I should be good to go.
Don't rely on the AWD system, it won't help you when your braking.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #281
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
I'm planning on getting Nokian WRG3's for my 2009 Acura MDX tomorrow from Kal Tire. I screwed myself by leaving this to last minute but anyone have some feedback if that is going to be a good tire for all year around use? I'm looking for a tire that can still perform in maybe a foot or so of snow while still being avg/good for general use.

I'm hoping with the Acura SH-AWD system and the anticipated snow we are expecting that I should be good to go. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
The AWD will get you going, won't help you stop. No experience with the WRG3's, but they're well-regarded from some of the research i've done in the past. I've since settled on the Conti DWS for years. Never ever let me down, I'd say its the perfect tire for BC driving. Can't recommend them enough. Theres just something about pushing full throttle on a left turn in an absolute downpour and have it turn like its on rails. Oh, and it handled this weeks ice/snow just fine.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #282
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You are looking for a unicorn. Winter tires works best if you choose a skinnier setup, so all the down force is concentrated on a small area on each tire, to melt snow or crack ice. However that doesn't translate well to non winter driving. Also you can increase the aspect ratio of the tire to smooth out some of the ice bump. However rest of the season you want pretty much the opposite of all that.

I would suggest get 2 different setup. Look at your door jam at the air pressure chart, look for the smallest tire setup your MDX allows and go with that for winter and a proper all seasons for the rest of the season.

Quote:

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #283
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
For those looking for deals..

Get Canadian Tire gift cards from Rexall which are 10% off, then wait for their tires go for buy 3 get 1 free and 10x points (though I think that's over for the season)+ rebates. Apparently they don't need the tires to be in stock for the 10x (or 20x points events) just need to put in the order.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #284
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
quite happy with the blizzak DM-V1s. absolutely buried the RDX in snow last night and had NO problems getting out. Got cocky a bit and yes, there was some slippage but minimal at best.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #285
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
For those looking for deals..

Get Canadian Tire gift cards from Rexall which are 10% off, then wait for their tires go for buy 3 get 1 free and 10x points (though I think that's over for the season)+ rebates. Apparently they don't need the tires to be in stock for the 10x (or 20x points events) just need to put in the order.
Was just at rexall station square. They said 10% off was for black Friday. And they're all sold out. What location you find it at?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #286
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
noobish question...

Does anyone minus size? Or do you guys go with the original stock sizing of your wheels/tires? Is the benefit of minus sizing quite noticeable?

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #287
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
noobish question...

Does anyone minus size? Or do you guys go with the original stock sizing of your wheels/tires? Is the benefit of minus sizing quite noticeable?
I minus'd

Went from 215/45/17 summers/all-season to 205/50/17. I wouldn't be able to tell if it has noticeable advantage since I've never driven my car with OEM sized winter tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #288
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:

Others have mentioned braking and I agree. AWD system helps you get out but won't assist much in stopping without proper tires. The WRG3 are decent tires but I have not tested them myself.

I hope you have an appointment with Kal Tire, otherwise expect to wait 2 days for your vehicle.
BrokenEuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #289
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
noobish question...

I went minus sized as well. From 215/50/17 to 205/60/16. I don't notice too much of a difference other than a softer ride than stock because of the higher sidewall. Side benefit is that 16" tires are a bit cheaper than 17". :P

Only thing to watch for if you minus size is clearance for your brakes. The TSX I drive doesn't exactly have huge brakes, but the 16" wheels barely clear them.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #290

If you have a narrower tire it'll cut through snow better, but you'll have less grip on ice. So it depends on whether you drive through snow or on ice/compact snow more. Just don't forget to increase the sidewall accordingly so you end up with the same final diameter, it's a little counterproductive to lower your car for winter
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #291
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Nah man. Get rid of the aerodynamic lift. Lowering basically sucks you to the ground and increases your traction by at least double. Look at the P1.

Sorry, I forgot this thread was for grownups only
Old 12-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #292
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenEuro View Post
The WRG3 are decent tires but I have not tested them myself.

I hope you have an appointment with Kal Tire, otherwise expect to wait 2 days for your vehicle.
I run WRG3s exclusively all year round on my 98 Forester here in NE Alberta where temps and conditions are much more hostile in the winter. I have zero issues with braking or traction on hills in snow or ice. I've never been stuck even in very deep snow. With a newer AWD system you'll have no issues.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #293
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Many of my friends run the WrG3 all year round. They're an all weather tire that Kal tire really pushes for and it does the job quite well. They do tend to wear out faster and if they're worn down, you should replace them. Best time to buy them is in the fall so that they'll be fresh for winter!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #294
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Many of my friends run the WrG3 all year round. They're an all weather tire that Kal tire really pushes for and it does the job quite well. They do tend to wear out faster and if they're worn down, you should replace them. Best time to buy them is in the fall so that they'll be fresh for winter!
We had WRG2s on both of our vehicles, both developed sidewall problems before the (pro-rated) warranty expired.

Fiance went with the WRG3s, I went Blizzaks.

Performance wise, probably not as good as the Blizzaks on snow/ice, but surprisingly good. Just leery of tires where two sets both develop problems before warranty expires.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #295
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Really happy with my General Altimax Arctics so far. They've been phenomenal during the heavy rains we've had and now the slush and snow
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #296
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
i keep hearing that all seasons don't perform well below 7 degrees or whatever. i'd like to see an actual comparison test between all seasons and winters in like 1 degree weather in dry pavement to see whether or not it's all marketing
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #297

I'm pretty sure there are a few comparison tests around the net.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-10-2016, 04:43 AM   #298
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
not sure if this has been posted earlier...

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 12-10-2016 at 05:06 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #299
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
i have the duratracs on the 4runner, they are very grippy in deep fresh snow, but a bit slippery on compacted snow when turning and braking

winter tire > all terrain > everything else
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #300
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
There is still a g35, a 335i, and a genesis coupe all stuck on my street in obscure angles and positions don't know if hard parking or photoshoot, will report back
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote