REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   expired insurance (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699049-expired-insurance.html)

stewie 10-20-2014 06:03 PM

expired insurance

not sure how i noticed this...but on sunday while in a safeway parking lot, from when i jumped out of my dads truck, to the point where i walked into the store, i walked passed 4 cars (not beside each other, just randomly parked in the lot) all with expired tags. not sure if they just forgot to put the decal on, but the insurance was expired on one of them by almost 3 weeks.

is there something to be done about it? or do you just walk past it, ignore it, and have the mind set of "not my problem, hope you dont hit anybody today!!"?

fliptuner 10-20-2014 06:46 PM

You can always call the cops and let them know.

If you came back to your car and someone pointed out that your insurance is expired, how would you react?

What if a PO was waiting for you with a $500 ticket in hand and a tow truck on the way?

Either way, it's their responsibility to have current insurance.

BoostedBB6 10-20-2014 07:19 PM

Happens all the time. If it wasn't for my constant need to keep my car clean I would forget to renew. I have not received a letter from ICBC in years about it.
Could be people forgot, but if I had someone point it out I would be very thankful for that.

axxess 10-20-2014 10:09 PM

Depending on area, you can call security and notify them. Security's job on site is to call a tow-truck to tow any vehicles that have expired license plates, because if anything does happen to the expired license plate vehicles on their property, they could be held accountable.
TBH, i would rather have my car towed than get a $400 ticket + a tow if i had no insurance.

Gh0stRider 10-20-2014 11:32 PM

its their responsibility to display valid insurance. Doesn't matter if they have valid insurance, they gotta display it.

seen plenty of people get dinged for not displaying insurance, even though its up to date. The decal is not doing them any good when its in the glove box.

Xu.Vi 10-21-2014 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 8546469)
its their responsibility to display valid insurance. Doesn't matter if they have valid insurance, they gotta display it.

seen plenty of people get dinged for not displaying insurance, even though its up to date. The decal is not doing them any good when its in the glove box.

Yep. Got pulled over by a cop one night and had me stick the new sticker in front of him. Also left me a warning as well(was insured for another year) :lawl:.

Spidey 10-21-2014 08:30 AM

if it is parked on private property, it is the property reps issue.. if it is on public property or being driven, it is a police issue.

meme405 10-21-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8546333)
I have not received a letter from ICBC in years about it.

And you have not decided to find out why? They send a letter to the address listed on the insurance, if you are not receiving it, there is a reason. You should probably find out why, and ensure you have the correct address listed...

wing_woo 10-21-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Happens all the time. If it wasn't for my constant need to keep my car clean I would forget to renew. I have not received a letter from ICBC in years about it.
Could be people forgot, but if I had someone point it out I would be very thankful for that.

As someone else pointed out, you should try to figure out why you don't get the notice.

As for the notices, they get sent out so early that I know of people who forget about it anyways cause they got the renewal notice so far ahead of the expiry date.

rriggi 10-21-2014 10:31 AM

Unless its your car, or parked on property that you own, mind your own business.

If your time is worth reporting cars without insurance decals, be my guest.

BrRsn 10-21-2014 10:35 AM

maybe the owner of the vehicle is a freeman and is therefore not bound by the laws and judicial system

I'm a freeman only when I'm texting and driving ... no ticket yet, come at me VPD

bcedhk 10-21-2014 10:37 AM

if the car is parked on a municipal street, then it is subject to a fine. If the popo sees it, as people have already mentioned, is also a fine.

i dont think you are affected by it, so i would just carry on. Or, be a good citizen and put a note telling them their insurance sticker is expired.

zulutango 10-22-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

That is suprising to hear. We have 4 vehicles in our household and get renewal reminders for all of them, every year, without fail. If your correct current address is not file that may be a reason. If it is, why not talk to an autoplan agent where you give them your money ask them why?

BTW, be happy your car is in BC where the fine is $598...and not Ontario where it is $2500 I believe. Their distracted driving VTs are $1000 AND 3 points...not our wimpy approach here.

underscore 10-24-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcedhk (Post 8546607)
i dont think you are affected by it, so i would just carry on. Or, be a good citizen and put a note telling them their insurance sticker is expired.

As long as you have excess underinsured you're okay. But if you don't and they hit you, you'll be affected pretty quick.