REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #126
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It's a burden to bear to kill a man, even as a hero
Suicide by cop is a really terrible thing
Advertisement
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #127
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
And realistically, what can/should Canada do to increase security? Pretty hard to be proactive against radicals that act in such an unpredictable manner.
As I noted the other day, the fact that these so called homegrown terrorists (mentally ill imo) of late are drug addicts, local ones at that, I feel it's clear that we need to do more in terms of mental health care

and im reiterating here but we have to do more especially in this province where the govt. has been neglecting it for so long! not just neglecting it but making it worse! with the closing of Riverview and throwing the addicts onto the DTES/Whalley et al. Where these recent attackers are from!

Certainly we can't stop all instances of crime but we can certainly mitigate all this bullshit
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #128
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Certainly we can't stop all instances of crime but we can certainly mitigate all this bullshit

I don't think so, this stuff rises out of poverty and everyone who lives in Vancouver realizes that people are only going to get poorer and income equality continues to get worse and worse

Canada's inequality growing: Stats Can | Toronto Star

Lowest ten percent of the population saw their net worth decrease 150% since 2005

Highest ten percent of the population saw their net worth increase 42% since 2005

Even more striking is the fact the bottom 50 per cent of Canadians own just 6 per cent of the wealth, while the bottom 30 per cent own just 1 per cent, the institute said.

By province, the concentration of wealth was highest in British Columbia, at 56.2 per cent, and lowest in Atlantic Canada, at 31.7 per cent.

This is a snowball that has just begun to roll downhill. Make your money, move to a nice community, pay high taxes for a top-notch police force and live the good life on Dunbar!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #129
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
And my facebook is full of people saying "THIS IS WHY WE NEED STRICTER GUN LAWS IN CANADA!"

because taking firearms away from law abiding citizens is going to keep illegally acquired guns out of the hands of criminals.
I wouldn't say they need to be stricter, I rather like them the way they are. That said, while strict gun laws won't make it impossible for criminals to acquire guns they do make it harder.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #130

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Cpl. Ward I like your style sir.

Retired Canadian veteran guards the Vancouver Cenotaph following Ottawa shooting | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
VANCOUVER – Even as the rain started to fall around him, retired veteran Cpl. David Ward stood proudly at the Cenotaph in Vancouver on Thursday.

In memory of the fallen soldier in Ottawa, Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, who was gunned down on Wednesday, Ward said it is his duty to be at the Cenotaph today.

“In honour and respect of the young corporal that was murdered yesterday doing his duty,” he said.

The news of Wednesday’s events hit members of the military, both past and present, particularly hard. Within hours of the shooting a Facebook and Twitter campaign had swept the nation calling on those who serve, or who have served, to stand at their nearest Cenotaph.

“We have a bunch of old veterans that are going to be on duty across Canada at the Cenotaph, so I got off duty of my patrols and came straight from work to here,” said Ward. Soldiers in Edmonton have also been standing guard.

The 63-year-old member of the Royal Canadian Regiment was based in Ontario, but served in Cyprus in 1974-5, was then posted at the United Nations in Egypt and helped at the Summer Olympics in Montreal in 1976.

He said he needs to do his duty so that people know Canada is still strong.

“To let those a**holes that murdered our Canadian soldiers here in Canada know that they’re not gonna win,” he said.

“I’m not the only retired veteran that’s out here. There’s going to be hopefully thousands of us to let them know you’re not going to defeat us.”
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #131
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Cirillo's dogs... man. RIP
Nathan Cirillo's Dogs Wait For Master To Return (PHOTOS)

Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #132
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Justin Trudeau's address:

Justin Trudeau urges Canadians to remember themselves in the wake of Ottawa shooting | Watch News Videos Online

What hit me most:
Spoiler!

Stephen Harper's address:

Prime Minister Harper addresses the nation following attack in Ottawa | Watch News Videos Online

I'm not a particular fan of how Harper uses fear mongering and terrorism rhetoric.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #133
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
The pictures in this link are amazing.

People waiting at overpasses and sides of the Highway of Heroes saluting Cpl. Nathan Crillo as his well deserved convoy drives by

Canada Honours Nathan Cirillo On The Highway Of Heroes (PHOTOS)

Reminds me of this video of NBC paying tribute to our Canadian soldiers who lost their lives standing up for what's right

Who's cutting onions in here?????

hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #134
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Justin Trudeau's address:

Justin Trudeau urges Canadians to remember themselves in the wake of Ottawa shooting | Watch News Videos Online

What hit me most:
Spoiler!

Stephen Harper's address:

Prime Minister Harper addresses the nation following attack in Ottawa | Watch News Videos Online

I'm not a particular fan of how Harper uses fear mongering and terrorism rhetoric.
Kinda off topic, but why does Trudeau even have his own podium or think he should give speeches on stuff like this? He's not and nowhere near Prime Minister, yet, and he comes off as a self-important douche.
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #135
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
Kinda off topic, but why does Trudeau even have his own podium or think he should give speeches on stuff like this? He's not and nowhere near Prime Minister, yet, and he comes off as a self-important douche.
He's the leader of the liberal party. He is most certainly a person that you would want to hear from during a tragedy such as this.

Thomas Mulcair also made an address but it wasn't even note worthy. Here's a link for your convenience.

Thomas Mulcair's Address To Nation In Wake Of Ottawa Shooting (TEXT)

Anyone who is the leader of their respective party has made a speech. I would hardly consider it "self-important" much less a "douche".

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #136
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
Saw this on Reddit this morning. Didn't see it posted here so:

Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers receives standing ovation - YouTube
Truthfully, I found this video disturbing. We have a soldier that was shot and killed two days ago and now we have a standing ovation for a man that killed the shooter. Its really too soon to be congratulating anyone for this. If I was him, I wouldn't accept any form of praise or take credit for any of it. Don't get me wrong, he did the right thing but to have this televised as he being the hero is just wrong and disrespectful to everyone else that assisted.

RIP Cpl. Nathan Cirillo
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #137
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #138
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Apparently Kevin Vickers pulled some John Woo shit on Bibeau!

Saw the barrel of the gun sticking out from behind the pillar an arms length away, dove out in front of him, spun and fired while in the air aiming upwards, and emptied his clip into him! Holy shit! :fuckyeah:

EDIT: JUUUUST beat me to it! ^^^
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #139
I am Hook'd on RS

Skip to 2:06 if you've already seen the vid about how Vickers shot the gunman...

Foralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #140

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
If you are going to sing the anthem sing the whole thing, don't butcher it.