REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Shooters on Parliament Hill

I'm very surprised this hasn't been posted yet..

One shooter dead in Ottawa | News1130

Quote:
OTTAWA (NEWS1130) - Police are expanding a perimeter around Parliament Hill after a gunman opened fire at the National War Memorial, wounding a soldier, then moved to nearby Parliament Hill where he was reportedly shot by Parliament’s sergeant-at-arms after wounding a security guard.

An inside source to News1130 who works on Parliament Hill has confirmed that one shooter is dead. The source has confirmed there is at least one more shooter and tactical units have yet to complete their sweep of the buildings.

The Hill remains under lockdown.

Police say they are investigating “several shooting incidents in downtown Ottawa.”

The Langevin Block, home of the Prime Minister’s Office across the street from Parliament Hill, has now been evacuated and citizens are being moved back more than two blocks from the Parliamentary precinct.

Police herded bystanders off the street into a major office building and warned people to stay away from the windows.

Conservative MP Bob Zimmer has tweeted that a gunman was shot and killed, but that report was not immediately verified by police.

Two sources told The Canadian Press that Kevin Vickers, the sergeant-at-arms for the House of Commons, shot an assailant.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was rushed away from the building to an undisclosed location, officials in his office said.

Ottawa police confirmed they had a call at 9:52 a.m. with a report of shots fired.

At least one gunman reportedly ran towards Parliament Hill, which is currently under lockdown and surrounded by security.

Cabinet minister Tony Clement tweeted that at least 30 shots were heard inside the building, where Conservative and Liberal MPs were holding their weekly caucus meetings.

Most of those MPs remain locked down in their caucus rooms.

The NDP caucus was evacuated along with the Liberal Senate caucus.

Karl Belanger, a senior aide to NDP Leader Tom Mulcair, says security told them to remain locked in the Opposition leader’s office as there may be two or three gunmen.

A witness reported that a man drove up in a black vehicle, got out carrying a rifle and ran into the Centre Block _ the seat of the House of Commons under the Peace Tower.

The vehicle, with no rear licence plate, parked directly in front of the Langevin Block.

Witnesses report seeing a man dressed in black with a scarf wrapped around his face, carrying a double-barreled shotgun

Shots were fired in several different corridors inside the Centre Block, according to witnesses. Some people fled the building by scrambling down scaffolding erected for renovations.

Chuck Bronley of Ottawa said he was near the memorial when he heard four shots and saw a man running away carrying what he said was a rifle.

A tourist from the Netherlands was also nearby when he heard four shots, and saw an armed man with long, dark hair fleeing.

Police were yelling at bystanders, shouting that there was still a shooter on the loose.

“DND member is down,” one officer was overheard saying.

Bronley was fairly certain the victim was one of the ceremonial guards at the War Memorial.

Two people vigorously pumped the victim’s chest on the stairs of the War Memorial, until the victim was finally placed on a stretcher and ushered into an ambulance shortly after 10 a.m.

The incident comes just two days after two Canadian soldiers were run over _ and one of them killed _ in Quebec by a man with jihadist sympathies.
Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Was about to go to bed here in HK... my phone went crazy with messages.
holy shit.
please catch those fuckers

edit: CBC lady just called the Police's assault rifles AK-47s >.>
Old 10-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
I was listening to this on the radio while driving to work. This is crazy!

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
UPDATE: Gunman killed at Parliament Hill, other suspects sought | Ottawa Citizen

Gunmen shot and killed INSIDE Center Block, police searching for other possible shooters
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

I am so upset.
How Harper responds to this is critical. Better believe, the Americans are watching with vested interest right now. I don't see how this same event would take place in DC. Makes you question what security measures we have in place around Parliament.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
I am so upset.
How Harper responds to this is critical. Better believe, the Americans are watching with vested interest right now. I don't see how this same event would take place in DC. Makes you question what security measures we have in place around Parliament.
Well considering how someone was able to jump over the fence of white house and not being caught till he is pretty close inside the white house I guess their security isn't the best.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
Seems like to me the security were doing a pretty legit by, they killed the fucker that was the shooter and are looking for another. What else you expect them to do? Crazy crazy world we live in..
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Live feed on CBC CTV News | News Video - Top National News Headlines - News Videos
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #9

Footage inside Parliament as shots are fired
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
only in Canada
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
In RS I Trust

Quote:
I am so upset.
only two people shot and they took care of the shooter right away. Remember the parliament is a public place so I personally think it was handled correctly and quickly from what I have heard/seen so far.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #12

I feel an increased police and security presence on campus this morning so far (U Calgary), I'm hoping its just precautionary
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)

Quote:
Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #13

Quote:
I am so upset.
Just curious how you Harper should handle this?.. Start threatening people, or calling terrorism? Please no, this is Canada. Serious question. As stated, they took care of business.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
good...i hoped they double tapped on that waste of life.

hope the guard survives.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Pretty appropriate that the gunman inside Parliament was killed by the Sergeant at Arms Kevin Vickers.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
sas

Quote:
Just curious how you Harper should handle this?..
Quote:
Quote:
Start threatening people, or calling terrorism? Please no, this is Canada.
Serious question. As stated, they took care of business.
You guys think if this was DC, the shooter would have been able to progress that far? Moving from the war memorial, through Parliament grounds (I live in Ottawa and even the most direct route through the Parliament doors, is a good distance), and through front security doors? Just an honest question. Maybe I am naive and, who knows, and we do have adequate security. If that's the case, than it's a positive.

Quote:
Start threatening people, or calling terrorism? Please no, this is Canada.
I can distinguish extremists.

What I mean by Harper's response, is given the recent events in the world, his message will have to be extremely clear to avoid any miss interpretation. Like it or not, Canada can only play by stander for so long.

And one more time, so everyone gets this, I am not calling for 'war'. One of the main reasons I enlisted in the reserves, was that I knew we had a responsible government when speaking of international conflicts.

Quote:
good...i hoped they double tapped on that waste of life.
I share the same sentiments but he would've been useful alive.

For some different perspective, watching American news has an interesting spin.
Right now, this is shaking up Ottawa pretty good. My work day has pretty much ended.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #17

I think in DC they most likely have 10 times the security setup that we have on Parliament Hill. I've never been to either, so I have have no fact to what i'm saying, just assuming. The chances of each of these things happening, I would say it would be "easier" for someone to get into our Parliament than in the White House.

"Enjoy" your day off now.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #18
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
FLQ (given their history up to 2012) or Isis nuts (given recent events including earlier this week)?

Heard a witness say he thought it was a First Nations guy but I doubt it

Edit
since cic hasn't been around i'll add an option here for him 'or is it Zionists trying to get Harper reelected, lizards dark side o the moon'
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #19
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
I've been to Ottawa on numerous occasions, and outside of Vancouver, it is one of my favourite Canadian cities across the country. The Parliament Hill, Byward Market, and Lower Town areas are particularly familiar as I have had many, many fond memories of those places.

My heart goes out to Ottawa, and I can only imagine how shaken people might feel. This kind of incidents is not what Canadians expect.

Regarding Harper's response, until more evidence is uncovered, the best he can do is the standard PR stuff -- how he is concerned about the situation, but trust that the RCMP will get down to the details and keep our capital secure; how he and the Canadian government condemns this kind of senseless violence, and how his heart goes out to the wounded soldier / guard and their families, etc.

Obviously, being PM, he would be receiving the most up-to-date briefings from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, and only the most general and high level news out of those would ever make it into the mainstream media.

But if there is one person that I really wouldn't want to be right now, it would be the head of the Canadian Intelligence Service. That gentleman is probably living his most stressful nightmare right now...
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #20

cbc said nbc reported suspected terrorist plans for this week in canada, 10 days ago. when cbc asked about it, it was downplayed..
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
It's a good thing everyone is concerned with extremists taking small mud huts in Syria when you can walk into rogers arena with 5 beer in your jacket..

Nut job loners + the Internet = this is the world we live in now. Let the fucking rats in the desert kill each other. When a guy that has no connections to anything can go buy a gun or shit for a bomb etc and walk into public places because he got brainwashed by a 10 minute YouTube video, I think that should be the concern not shit two oceans away.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #22
sas

Quote:
FLQ or Isis nuts?
No way they will confirm that this early on.
I have no idea what the mood is in Vancouver right now, but in Ottawa, we're all following this pretty closely.

Quote:
But if there is one person that I really wouldn't want to be right now, it would be the head of the Canadian Intelligence Service. That gentleman is probably living his most stressful nightmare right now...
Agreed. CSIS & CSEC are probably in overtime mode right now.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Edit. Double post
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #24
In RS I Trust

The soldier that got shot died

Soldier dies after attack at National War Memorial, attacker shot dead
Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #25