REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #26
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
And lets see pictures of the rear tires please
The rears are good to go. I'm too lazy to take pics. They have slightly more tread than front just as the bmw dealership found.
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Is it possible the front end guy had your car mistaken for another car? I know in a lot of different businesses there can be miscommunication between the people doing the work and the people talking to customers that can cause problems like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
Are u looking at the correct pic?

How is that 0/32? I can measure them with tread gauge. They are like 6-7/32. Same as what BMW said.

I'm going to switch to new 19s on conti DWS in the next few months likely, but the tires are still useable for the time being. I doubt I am a hazard on the road, and I still don't see metal hanging out of the tires.
It's hard to tell from the pics but if the wear is uneven between the two sides of one or more of the tires maybe rotate them, otherwise I wouldn't worry about them for the time being.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #28
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Treadwear bars are generally at 2/32.

Plain as day, there's double or triple that at the lowest point in this pic:

Spoiler!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Is it possible the front end guy had your car mistaken for another car? I know in a lot of different businesses there can be miscommunication between the people doing the work and the people talking to customers that can cause problems like this.

It's hard to tell from the pics but if the wear is uneven between the two sides of one or more of the tires maybe rotate them, otherwise I wouldn't worry about them for the time being.
I asked myself this question but there was no way there was miscommunication as there was only one bmw in their lot at the time. And their was two front desk guys saying a similar thing. Discussion was same over phone and in person. A bit more aggressive in person as ICBC, road hazard, unsafe to drive, shouldnt be on the road were mentioned.

Although if any of the workers are on this forum and read this thread I'm sure it will be a "mix up".

Oh yah I forgot to tell you guys the best part. My wife was with me to pick up the car and she was so scared she gave me the keys and said I don't want to drive it. You drive it back. LOL On the plus side she told me get those new wheels and tires you wanted. Get them asap!

Last edited by acurael; 10-31-2014 at 12:02 AM.
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:07 AM   #30
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i think maybe you should go back to dales and ask jameson to show you in person the tire wear he claims is there. i would like to hear his explanation based upon what you have shown us in your pics.

if he is working the front counter, he does not go out and check every customer's car and has to rely on the report given to him from the tech who looked at the car. this is true for most shops i've dealt with unless there are no other customers waiting, but otherwise they often would send out the tech who worked on your car to explain/discuss.

it's always best to inspect your car before leaving the shop, whether it is for something like this, or for any damage that may be on the car that wasn't there before. it should be general rule of thumb, but i'm also guilty of forgetting to do it too.

myself, i am shopping around for a place to do more suspension work on my car. dales is on the list. i've never had problems before and i've been going there off and on for the last decade, so reading this and some of the other experiences posted here from others is cause for concern because good shops are hard to come by.

someone mentioned TSS. everyone loves TSS. i've never been there before but because so many people here swear by them i went ahead and asked them for a labor quote. what they gave me for said suspension work was over $700 more than the next highest one i got...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-31-2014 at 06:47 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #31

I would have checked right there but it was raining and I was already late to get back to work because it took them about 5-10 mins to write all the notes and check me out. I'm not going back there because of the way they went about the whole situation. It's not worth my time or headache.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #32
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Should upload what they gave you in writing -- that at least confirms that they dicked you around and hopefully this thread won't disappear

I hate places that try to upsell you shit -- it comes off as really greasy and most places that do that I never re-visit. It's always a fun time going to the jeep dealership on marine drive to buy parts -- their service advisor is a better salesman than most of the floor staff
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #33
straight from the fields of squamton

So if i took my car into the local dealership today....

to look at my tires

you don't think they'd find a problem? I measured them myself and found theres actually 4/32 left at the treadwear indicator

It's hard to tell but there is a fair amount of tread there

Maybe I won't need to take it in, I have faith in the tire experts of revscene

Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #34

I would trust his 5-7/32nd snows over your 4/32 summers in a second, especially where you're located.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
^yolo

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #36

I'm putting new snowies on today. because mine are at 0/32

not 4/32.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #37

What part of "the treadwear bars are generally 2/32" don't you get?

I'm not saying yours are safe, I'm saying they're not 0.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts

Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #39

get a tread depth indicator in that worn out inside edge of the tire. less than 1/32 = .....
Old 10-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #40
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I don't think you understand...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #41

Wear isn't measured on the sides of the tires unless you're running a bunch of camber...

Quote:
I asked myself this question but there was no way there was miscommunication as there was only one bmw in their lot at the time. And their was two front desk guys saying a similar thing. Discussion was same over phone and in person. A bit more aggressive in person as ICBC, road hazard, unsafe to drive, shouldnt be on the road were mentioned.

Although if any of the workers are on this forum and read this thread I'm sure it will be a "mix up".
The cars don't have to be similar for the front desk guys to get the wrong message from the guys in the back if they assume they're working on car A when they're actually talking about car B. I've seen that happen enough to at least consider it as a possibility when it's something as obvious as tire wear.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #42

Quote:

get a tread depth indicator in that worn out inside edge of the tire. less than 1/32 = .....
bro I checked it just for you and the inside edge came out as 5/32. no joke...again the picture is slightly deceiving cause its dry on that side as i mentioned before.

We could go on about how to measure tread all day long.

I think the whole point is BMW measures the same I measure with tread depth gauge and Dale's claimed they were worn to the metal which clearly they are not. So based on this info I think I trust myself and BMW that they are at 5.5-7/32 approximately. And I'm sure my car doesn't need to be taken off the road, otherwise I would be buying tires every month for all my vehicles if that was the case. Hell I just got new tires installed on my SUV 2 weeks ago and based on how you are measuring tread they need to be changed too, cause the inners have just a touch more depth than my winters on the bmw. LOL

Even if my car was magically mixed up which I know it was not the way things were dealt with was my biggest issue. It was similar to a mother scolding a child basically. "Get him to initial this work order - We are not gonna be responsible for this car!" And why would they be? - its my car. Threats about ICBC etc not covering an accident. C'mon! I still gave them a chance and decided to check the car myself in case something suddenly changed without me knowing in the past few weeks. I would have discussed it further and even gone out to look at the tires with them possibly if it wasn't raining so much and I was late to get back to work. I even mentioned that I will figure it out and call them back if I decide to get anything done when I paid for the small fee for inspection.

Last edited by acurael; 10-31-2014 at 11:46 AM.
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Wear isn't measured on the sides of the tires unless you're running a bunch of camber...
You measure the tire at its lowest point.

How is this so difficult?

he's got accelerated wear on the inside of the tire, that part of the tire is going to wear faster than the rest of the tire. it's already compromised to the point of (in my opinion at least) needing to be replaced. what do you think that tire will look like in a few months? take a trip to whistler on those on a snowy day in february?

I don't know exatly whats causing that wear pattern as i havn't seen an alignment print off or driven with the customer to see how he drives.

You won't find a reputable shop that will tell you those tires are good to use for the winter.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #44

Quote:
bro I checked it just for you and the inside edge came out as 5/32. no joke...again the picture is slightly deceiving cause its dry on that side as i mentioned before.

If it's 5/32 on the inside edge of the tire then the picture is very deceiving.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #45
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:

he's got accelerated wear on the inside of the tire, that part of the tire is going to wear faster than the rest of the tire. it's already compromised to the point of (in my opinion at least) needing to be replaced. what do you think that tire will look like in a few months? take a trip to whistler on those on a snowy day in february?

I don't know exatly whats causing that wear pattern as i havn't seen an alignment print off or driven with the customer to see how he drives.

You won't find a reputable shop that will tell you those tires are good to use for the winter.
Look man, i know you're trying to help (i think) but for lack of a better term you're talking out of your ass. His tires, if his measurement of 7/32nd for the vast majority of the tire is accurate, they are more than fine for another winter. In fact, his WINTER tires at 7/32nd are infinitely better than the people running brand new all seasons this winter.

If you don't understand how all this works, that's just fine but stop talking like you do.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #46

Quote:

The alignment is not that off anyways. I had an alignment a few years ago! lol. the wear pattern is probably from past driving I'm guessing as the alignment was really off a few years ago as the car was completely pulling to one side. The current tires are decent as all seasons tires not winter - I already know this. Not "real winters" anymore as they are bridgestone blizzaks performance and only the 1-2/32 top layer is true winter. I've ran these tires on my G35 as well. I ran the tread gauge along the tire and honestly the wear is almost exactly the same across the tires. The wet/dry areas in the pics seem to be confusing things although other members are not seeing what you see either?

I actually just went to get an alignment done before I purchase new wheels and tires and it was a convenient day and time to drop it off cause my schedule is crazy. I'm still debating which wheels I want so that's why I haven't purchased anything new.

Found it strange they refused to do an alignment on the car. Not sure if you cannot do an alignment unless the thrust arm bushings are replaced. Although in the end Mike said that could wait? I already told them I was planning on getting new wheels and tires. Nothing made sense really.....
Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #47

It's nearly impossible to do a good alignment with worn suspension or steering parts. I don't know how bad the thust arm bushings are, but if it's enough to cause play, you won't get a good alignment.

get the alignment done with the new tires and the bushings replaced for best results and tire wear.

I'm glad that is settled.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #48

I think this thread veered off a bit. It was already settled that I was getting new tires and wheels soon. The whole point of me making it was to tell my experience at Dale's that was very poor. Instead we are debating how to measure tread. lol

I'm back to square one because who knows if the thrust arm bushings are even worn? If they claim my tires are worn to the metal when they clearly are not then obviously anything else they told me is not valid. Waste of my time really.

That 36 bucks was the best investment I ever made. At least I know to never go back there and in the long run I will save money and give my hard earned money to a business that deserves it!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Some mechanics has the same moral as my last dentist...... where can we go now for trusted work?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #50

Quote:

You don't measure it at a point that the car doesn't drive on. Look at the bottom of the tire, those side bits you're looking at are the transition from the tread to the sidewall and on most tires are tapered from the mfr. On top of that, the tread right next to that area looks fine, so if the circled bit was the only area making road contact (pretty doubtful since the rest of the tread shows even wear) the tires would have such a pathetically small contact patch that no matter what tires you put on the car is going to be sketchy to drive.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: