REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Spawning salmon run viewing? Where? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699325-spawning-salmon-run-viewing-where.html)

wasabisashimi 10-31-2014 07:43 PM

Spawning salmon run viewing? Where?

Hi, Has anyone recently saw some spawning salmons in local river?
I want to take my kids to see them in stream or small river, but I have no idea where to find them.

I went to Tyne Head park Surrey last week couple times, but it is either closed or not much fish in the stream. I am not interested in fishes in the hatching pond either (which is all they have)

I also called Hazelmere Hatchery South Surrey and didn't find much info.

I am asking because recently I think I saw someone posted a picture showing a bunch of red colored spawners swimming in the water in some small stream, but I couldn't find the picture on facebook again and did not write down where it was taken and when.

Boostslut 10-31-2014 09:09 PM

There is the Fraser River Eagle Festival, up by the Harrison river that it always awesome. Thousands of eagles everywhere basically!

Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival The Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival is one of the largest gatherings of raptors in North America: a two-day event that showcases thousands of bald eagles that return to the valley each fall. Every year we organize

You will see a few dead salmon.

Alby 11-01-2014 08:17 AM

if you are going to try the harrison river, i would also suggest morris valley as it is close by as well.

haymura 11-01-2014 09:05 AM

Is there an actual viewing area in Harrison river for the salmon run or is it just the whole stretch of the river? Ive never been to one of these before but im very curious.

saveth 11-01-2014 09:35 AM

The east side of stave river is probably your best choice right now. Just below Hayward dam is a man made spawning area that is closed to fishing. You should see a crap load of spawning chums and maybe the occasional coho.

rb 11-01-2014 10:45 AM

Hoy Creek. Its only a few blocks from Coquitlam Centre mall, spawning salmon - hoy creek, coquitlam, british columbia

wasabisashimi 11-01-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rb (Post 8551093)
Hoy Creek. Its only a few blocks from Coquitlam Centre mall, spawning salmon - hoy creek, coquitlam, british columbia

Is this current?, the website says updated 2004, I hope to find a sure spot to not disappoint my kids and have to drive around looking for nothing.

haymura 11-01-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 8551107)
Is this current?, the website says updated 2004, I hope to find a sure spot to not disappoint my kids and have to drive around looking for nothing.

same boat as wasabi here but instead of kids, it'll be my wife.

MG1 11-01-2014 01:27 PM

OP, you just missed one of the largest salmon runs in BC.

Adams River Salmon Society, Shuswap, BC, Salmon Run, Salute to the Sockeye | The salmon of the North Shuswap

Now you have to wait another 3 years and 11 months. If any of you have kids, you have to take them there. One of nature's best shows - none of this aquarium bullshit. Well worth the drive.

nma 11-01-2014 01:56 PM

There are quite a few spots.. Stave as someone mentioned, Chehalis/Harrison river.. The best one might be the Capilano river / hatchery. You will see fish moving through the channel in to the hatchery.

Jmac 11-01-2014 02:16 PM

Not sure if it's still the case as I moved in 2010, but when I lived in Burnaby, we used to get a few spawning salmon up the creek next to our condo.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.21580.../data=!3m1!1e3

Edit: Looks like a few have been spotted - http://byrnecreek.org

punkwax 11-01-2014 03:26 PM

Years ago I saw a bunch of spawning salmon in the little creek that runs through Meridian golf course while I was playing a round. Pretty cool to see so up close. Wish I could have stopped to appreciate them more but the course was busy and we had to keep moving..

rb 11-01-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 8551107)

I grew up and still live in the area. It's a well known / pretty sure spot. I haven't walked by the area in atleast 2 years but I just might do that tmr and report back lol.

77civic1200 11-02-2014 08:18 AM

Here

I was out by minnekhada yesterday, ran across a few people stopped on the side of the road watching fish. Not like solid fish, but probably about 50 in that little area moving around

MG1 11-02-2014 08:44 AM

Everyone should experience this kind of thing. The wonders of nature. It will make you think twice before draining that transmission fluid or engine oil down the drain. It wasn't that long ago when fish stocks were dwinding to the point of extinction. Some of you guys should consider taking part/getting involved in the salmonid programmes that are out there in the communities that have rivers and streams with salmon.

Salmonid Enhancement Program | Pacific Region | Fisheries and Oceans Canada

They are looking for volunteers and donations all the time.

multicartual 11-02-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8551410)
It will make you think twice before draining that transmission fluid or engine oil down the drain.

I remember one time I helped a friend change the oil in his Tercel at the Foody Goody parking lot in Burnaby near Metrotown. We just dumped it right on the concrete near the back wall.

:failed:

Mercy 11-02-2014 09:44 AM

Capilano fish hatchery. Not far. You can see the fish in the river then go in to the hatchery and see them jumping through a narrow canal built with glass walls.

MG1 11-02-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8551416)
I remember one time I helped a friend change the oil in his Tercel at the Foody Goody parking lot in Burnaby near Metrotown. We just dumped it right on the concrete near the back wall.

:failed:

That's okay, the lard and oil Foody Goody dumped out of their restaurant was more toxic to humans and the environment than your used oil, lol. :troll:

PiuYi 11-06-2016 05:48 PM

bump.

anyone doing some salmon run watching this year?

Hondaracer 11-06-2016 05:51 PM

Apperrnrly the streams that run into burnaby lake are full right now

Mancini 11-06-2016 08:54 PM

Based on your username I'd say you have a different motivation for wanting to see salmon.

PiuYi 11-06-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8800468)
Apperrnrly the streams that run into burnaby lake are full right now

with all the rain we've had we should have a good run this year? but it's also supposed to be cyclical and this isn't supposed to be a big year based on 4 years ago...

MG1 11-07-2016 12:25 AM

Sockeye Salmon spawn every four years. Others species like pinks, chum, steelheads, coho are anywhere in between. Pinks are two years, for sure.

That doesn't mean other streams and rivers are not full of salmon. It's just that the biggest one locally, is the Adams River and its tributaries - as far as Sockeye go.

You can try and research other rivers on the West Coast, Vancouver Island, Skeena, Rupert areas. Not sure you'd want to go that far. You can always go to Hell's Gate and watch whatever goes through there at this time. Personally, I'd wait for the Adams River run. Every once in a while, two or more big returns of mixed species coincide and make for a really nice spectacle. Again, do some research. It's all fascinating stuff. I used to be involved in the Salmonid program years ago and it was very rewarding. If anyone is interested in saving our wild stocks and don't mind getting your hands and feet dirty, go for it.

You can visit hatcheries, too.

Salmonid Enhancement Program | Pacific Region | Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Click on hatcheries link.

While I'm at it........... say no to farmed Atlantic salmon. There's nothing like Wild Pacific Salmon from our own backyard. We have the best there is. Farmed salmon is not good for our wild stocks. Plus, that farmed shit tastes like shit. Atlantic salmon has no place in BC waters. /rant and sermon.

oldsnail 11-07-2016 07:16 AM

I was here yesterday. lots to see and a good hike

Goldstream Provincial Park, Salmon Run

Zedbra 11-07-2016 08:51 AM

I have a creek through my back yard that the salmon spawn in - no need to hike anywhere. ;)